New or Unusual Venues?

Chronata

So this is the first year in a while that I don't have a tarot or reading gig for the Halloween season.

I have been looking for new venues, maybe some offbeat ideas of new places to leave my flyer.

I do mostly Event Readings nowadays anyway.

I do live in a tourist town, so I am going to try Spa Readings again at the local resorts(though in the past I have had very little luck in this rather conservative town)

Someone I know also mentioned an idea about talking to the local wineries. Apparently many wineries do wine tasting events, and have employed a reader to be part of it.

Has anyone else got any interesting ideas?

I figure we can start a list here of potential event clients, that can help any pro find a new venue!

Grizabella

Hmmmm--good question. I think I'd just paper the town with flyers. You never know who might see them. If you put a flyer in a business---(or a stack of them, I don't know how you do it)---if the business or its individual employees will be planning a party you'll have your information available to them. You never know---even a grocery store or clothing store or bowling alley might get the idea to have you read just as a novelty item for their business. They might not necessarily pay you a lot themselves but you'd have the individual customers paying for a reading, hopefully.

Have you thought of trying doctor's offices and hospitals? It's a reach but I see potential in a doctor's office for sure because doctors and employees plan their own private parties at their homes and so do their patients. Rehab centers might be another idea. People in rehab (not drug and alcohol rehab) don't get to be a part of the holiday festivities much and the people in them are of all ages.

VA hospitals? Maybe?

If you live in a town as small as the one I live in, though, a more fertile area might be the next town bigger reasonably near where you are.

What about schools? I think anything is worth a try.

I think if it's not too rainy or cold this year, I'm just going to dress up my front porch and do readings out there for a few hours Halloween night.

tarotbear

Have you thought of trying doctor's offices and hospitals? It's a reach but I see potential in a doctor's office for sure because doctors and employees plan their own private parties at their homes and so do their patients.

LOL! Grizz ~ when I read this the only thing that came to mind was:

"Then the witch doctor, he told me what to do
He said that ....

(Chorus: )
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang"

Chronata

Ok to start a list of places to blanket with flyers! ;)

Resorts
Hotels
Spas
Wineries
Hospitals(why not...I'll give it a try!)
Schools
Coffee Houses
Supper Clubs/Restaurants
Tourist Event Places (I just dropped a flyer with the "Dancing Horses show nearby!)
Bead shops
New Age shops (alas...there aren't any near me!)
Independent Bookstores
Hair Salons
Yoga Salons
Apple/Pumpkin farms
Chiropractors!
Massage Therapists
Organic Grocery stores

I figure many of these aren't the usual venue for me...but could lead to potential parties...especially at this time of year!

Morwenna

Some places have community bulletin boards. Where I live the laundromats do, and the Stop & Shop supermarkets, and some others I can't recall at the moment. Some places have outdoor bulletin boards on the sides of buildings. And if you happen to live in a place where they permit notices on poles (most don't, but mine does), there's another place to grab the public's attention. (Sometimes the utility poles in my neighborhood remind me of those pictures of Paris kiosks!)

And don't forget bookstores, particularly independents, if you're lucky enough to have one nearby.

Tarotiana

Hi Chronata,

how about getting your info into the hands of 100 nearby event agencies/ entertainment agents? They work with many people seeking entertainment, and usually their corporate clients are much more financially rewarding to work with, than people who book directly for a small private party.

And by the way: I love your tarot signs. I contacted you through ioffer, and did not get an email back. But maybe there is an onlineshop where I can buy your signs?

Amanda

Stick business cards in some tarot/divination/new age books at your local library or bookstore.

tarotbear

Stick business cards in some tarot/divination/new age books at your local library or bookstore.

OOOOOO! Now that's an idea I like! LOL!!!!!

There are all those things that are stuck in magazines - you could stick your business cards in the occult mags at a Barnes & Nobles.....

Mellaenn

One place I've been thinking of for a while but never tried was a nail salon. Here in South Florida there are dozens of them full of women sitting around waiting to get their nails done or waiting for them to dry. Now that I'm working full-time and only doing tarot part-time at psychic fairs, etc, I don't have the time to do it it, but maybe some day!

Chronata

Lots of these places are now on my list! ( post #4! )

All great ideas!
I do really wish i had a local bookstore of any kind! my local library is smaller than my apartment and doesn't have any books on anything even related to the subject!...but what a great idea!

keep 'em coming!