Reading for yourself vs other people

beekie

Does anyone read only for themselves and not for other people? I think I may be one of few, but I find I have very successful readings when I read for myself.

This evening I did a reading for my nephew, and he didn't seem to connect with it. I know I shouldn't be discouraged, but I can't help but think "ya know, maybe I'm meant to read only for me"

Anyone else?

Juliana

I only read for myself. Perhaps that will change someday when I feel more confident, but for the foreseeable future I just read for me. I honestly can't imagine reading for anyone else with the exception of my sister who has been a reader herself for decades now. For some reason, I would feel weird reading for anyone who didn't know as much or more about tarot than me. I'd rather that they could interpret the cards as well so that they wouldn't have to be locked into my interpretation.

Tigerangel

I have only read for myself for the last two years, and I usually get accurate results when reading for myself, except for when it comes to matters of the heart I always seem to get thrown way off and can't quite figure out what their telling me, I've only just recently started reading for other people and think i'm proberly maybe 40/60% or less at being able to connect in a reading for someone else.

How do you get your cards to connect with someone else? I won't let anyone shuffle mine but get them to cut it three times with their left hand, I use a different strategy for online readings.

Bluebonnet

I'm quite the newbie, so I'm just adding my two cents from my experiences......

I suck at reading for myself. I am accurate less than half the time. When I feel brave enough to exchange with someone on this forum, I surprise myself. I always think I'm completely wrong. But, I have had the majority of people say I'm correct or accurate. Beginners luck. :)

B

cmarie

I mostly read for myself and also study with my cards. I do sometimes read for other people, it seems more and more it happens. It is easier for me to read for someone I know little to nothing about than people I am close to.

For practice I look at the readings forum and sometimes lay the cards out that the thread starter has drawn and look at them to see what I see in the cards. Then I can compare that to what others have seen. The best part is that you see the individuality of each reader. You can offer your insights if you want to. That is a nice way to break into reading for others, you can try it out before you put yourself out there.

:)

Richard

I am just not interested in reading for other people, so I don't do it. I sometimes consult the cards for insight into certain situations that come up in my life from time to time, but seldom more than once or twice a week. Most of my time with Tarot is spent studying and pondering its esoteric symbolism and significance, which is very enjoyable for a nerd like me.

The crowned one

I prefer to read for others and read for myself only as a after-thought to a action or environmental change I am about to make.

Wendywu

I read for myself for insight into the why's of my life but not for advice on action. For others I'll read about anything but for me - just why do I feel this, why do I hurt, why is someone upset with me etc, and I tend to use Ironwing for this because I have never met a more straight talking deck that pulls absolutely no punches. I might not like what I hear but I can't help but hear it!

poppiesrossi

I have always read for myself.. it was almost like a secret that I kept to myself probably because of my upbringing.. and it would probably seem fey to people in my life. But I have always loved tarot cards since my first deck. It has been part of my life ever since and have had few different decks over the years. I have read for few of my close friends which they commented that it seemed accurate to what they were going through at the time.

I did once read Coco Chanel also had a tarot deck she always kept at her desk and I found that fascinating.

Recently, that I have started to read for others.. I have realized how much I enjoy it and love it. :heart: If I do persue counseling/therapy path as a career. I would probably incorporate it into my sessions.

I have had some terrible, awful experience with those psychics from the streets when I lived in a major city. They seemed to prey on me for some reason.. they always told me I had an evil spirit and for couple hundred dollars.. they would remove it for me. So I am skeptical at times.. but I also had amazing tarot readers too. I have had some awful/enlightening/amazing/scary experience with tarot cards.. and I am grateful as a tool to gain clarity and insight. As for fortune telling and predictive readings.. I am not entirely convinced although I have been working with timing questions for curiosity sake.. but I am also a believer we give power to whatever we believe in.

The crowned one

I read for myself for insight into the why's of my life but not for advice on action. For others I'll read about anything but for me - just why do I feel this, why do I hurt, why is someone upset with me etc, and I tend to use Ironwing for this because I have never met a more straight talking deck that pulls absolutely no punches. I might not like what I hear but I can't help but hear it!

That is interesting to me, as I tend to fortune tell. I have never considered the cards insightful, but rather eventful.