Very first party - tips?

Melisandre

Soooo I'm doing a party about a month from now. It will be my first, and I'm nervous, as I've only been reading for a little over a year now.

This is being set up through a relative, at her request, so although I will be getting paid for my time, it's not what I would consider an entirely "professional" gig. I offered to do it for free but my aunt is very adamant that I be paid for my time and effort. Mostly these are friends and acquaintances of my aunt's who I know and some of whom I've read for before.

That being said, I'm nervous and asking advice from those who are experienced with this type of thing. What have you learned, how long do you spend on each reading, how many cards do you typically use in a spread? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Zephyros

I haven't done anything like that, but I have been in social situations in which I have done several readings in one evening. I found that although it may sound trivial, it is very important to drink lots of water, since you will be talking for hours and dehydration is a big factor in your energy level. So drink lots of water and have a glass handy during readings (taking a sip also gives you a few seconds to get your thoughts in order!).

Let the readings themselves pace the evening, but don't spend hours on one person. Depending on how you read, I've found that a bird's eye view a Celtic Cross gives is great for these things, and takes about 20 to 30 minutes on average, which is plenty for one person in an evening like this. Bring the readings to their natural close on one hand, but don't be afraid to tell people that others are waiting, if they bog you down with question after question, since people like to talk about themselves and can do so for hours if you let them.

Try to have a few simple spreads in your repertoire, even if you have to write them down. This will keep you from getting bored and you will be able to deal with specific questions if you are asked. They shouldn't be too fancy; this isn't the time to learn new things and showmanship and flow are important. You won't have to show off with complicated spreads either, since you won't be judged on the number of cards you lay out. Keep things simple and effective.

Be careful of getting drained too quickly. Don't be afraid to take a five to ten minute break between readings, and maybe eat something small between them, to keep your blood sugar level up. The evening will take a lot of energy, so treat it as a tool that must be taken care of like any other.

Above all, have fun, and I'm not saying this lightly. The more you enjoy yourself the better you will be and the more comfortable you will be. If you hit a snag such as a blockage from a person, be honest and tell them so, and maybe get back to them later. You've given me readings and you know your stuff, so don't be afraid of being honest about telling somebody the answers just aren't there, their question could be improved or anything else you've learned and know works for you. Whether you think so or not, they will see you as a professional, so trust your instincts and don't be afraid to act like one!

Good luck :)

velvetina

don't laugh, but take a bottle of water - I'm sure your hosts won't be as inattentive as some I've dealt with, but I've been to places where I wasn't offered anything to drink & with all the talking, you'll need it!
ind it
choose your own spot if this is possible: light, heat, fresh air, everything plays its part! And everywhere has a 'power spot'- if you're lucky, find it & set up shop there!

SagiChar

I've done several parties now and agree with everyone here about hydration...you want to drink LOTS of water! I find that at the end of my parties, my voice is hoarse and I'm not too talkative with the family when I get home ...it does take a lot out of you energy wise!

I normally do a 4 card spread (PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE, FINAL OUTCOME) and these usually always take around 20-30 minutes per person. I find that most people "I've" dealt with don't usually ask specific questions, so a general reading works well in this area.

I used to think that bringing all my decks was a great idea (I have 6)...to let the clients chose a deck that resonated with them, just to include them a bit more in the reading, but I'm finding out more and more that only the deck that YOU are most comfortable with works the best!

I'm lacking a Tarot cloth for my readings....and I'm always asking the client if they have a tablecloth or some sort of covering I can put over the table...so this is also something I would suggest if you don't already have one...a minor detail, I know....but, I always wish I had one when I do a party...just food for thought...

Lastly, if you want to do more parties in the future, definitely bring business cards or something you can write your name and number down on (or theirs) for future contact!

Good luck with your party, I wish you all the best!

Grizabella

I don't recommend guzzling a lot of water. It's not necessary, makes you have to pee which is distracting and it's possible to actually drink too much water. While you do need enough there's no need to overdo it. Keeping your mouth moist is the key because your mouth gets dry from talking and from nerves. Rinsing your mouth with Biotene is a help and then just sipping water also helps, but don't drink unusual amounts of it.

divinerofcards

Water as an energy conductor

Water is a very good conductor of energy (we are largely made of water ourselves) and aside from necessary hydration and the nasty side-effect of having to pee... ;) you really need water while doing any dowsing activity with tarot or other tools.

In fact, I would recommend that in this party environment (with so much energy around) that you encourage your querant to drink some during the reading as well, to assist with focus. When I do one-on-one readings I provide a bottle and - nicely - ask that the querant drink it while we sit :)

My 2 cents.

tarotbear

It's FUN! Enjoy It!

WATER!

Drink water, have water with you - take little sips so you don't have to make beelines to the restroom in the middle of someone's reading!

Bring Kleenex and bring cough drops or throat lozenges - not mints!

Bring a timer - and use it! Short simple readings are always best - with a time limit.

Comfortable shoes! Bring a pillow in case you get stuck sitting on a metal folding chair. Dress comfortably!

Bring your own table cloth, fancy shawl, or reading cloth to add 'atmosphere.' Don't read on a bare card table.

Don't know if this is free, paid, donation - or what - but have a nice clean large 'tip jar' out in plain sight! Put a couple of your own singles in there - with a $5 or a $10 on top. Since this is October a plastic or ceramic jack-o-lantern would work also! Check out a crafts shop. This is the best time of year to buy 'mystical' fabrics for future use! (Hard to find fabric with stars & moons at Christmas!)

If you have pamphlets, brochures, business cards - anything that the Querent can have an use to contact you - have them, too! Even if you have to have a little separate table of them.

Bring several decks in case.

ENJOY YOURSELF!

Attachments

• Booth A 600.jpg
    Booth A 600.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Booth B 600.jpg
    Booth B 600.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 102

minotaur

You are the expert to them. While you may be nervous to the guests you are something special, something magickal. Just start reading and you will be fine.

Length of readings will depend on how many guests there are. Most of the time no matter how long your reading there will be one more forever.

If you have a lot of guests you need to do 4-5 minute readings. You can go shorter but with tarot it is difficult to get a meaningful reading.

You are at a party and are an entertainer. You are there for fun readings and to lighten things up. I know there are many that will disagree with this, but if your deck has a scary looking death card in it take it out. If it comes out in a reading it will be all people talk about. Not good for a party.

No questions from sitters...again, this is a party reading, not a counseling reading. Three cards, past-present-future. The model for a party reading is the past is when you did the best you could at the time, the present is changing, and the future is happy.

That is it. For the umpteenth time, this is a party reading. The specific things you say will vary depending on the cards.

If you have a lot of people there are things you can do to speed things up. A minute here and a minute there adds up after a few hours and allows you to read more people, thus making the party happy. Everyone will want their reading so unless you want to sit there until the cows come home consider these ideas.

First the timer...a good idea. Keep it where you can see it, not the sitter. If you are doing five minute readings set it for four minutes. When it goes off keep reading for about a minute. They will think they got extra time and be happy. You will stay on schedule.

Do not let them shuffle. Some people shuffle for a long time. You give it a quick mix and let them cut once. This is a big time saver.

All readings must be the same length. No exceptions. If you do a ten minute reading for one person everyone will want that length of reading. The only exception to this is if there is a guest of honor. They get special treatment.

At the end of the reading do not ask if they have any questions. Picking up the cards and putting them back in the pack signals the end of the reading. Finish with a positive comment about the future card and thank them for coming. Then look at the next person in line. In your mind you are saying "next". That will communicate without having to talk.

You must be aware of sitting sitter syndrome. This is where a sitter, once parked in the chair, will not get up but keep asking questions. One thing that helps here is the seating arrangement. Set things up so when the sitter is seated they are facing the line of people waiting. If they can see their friends waiting, and their friends are looking at them, they will be motivated to get up when the time is up.

If you are in a room apart from the party you are completely screwed. This separation will turn entertainment readings into counseling readings. Being alone will make the sitter want to open up and talk. That is not good if you are trying to keep the party going. Also, without being motivated by seeing their waiting friends you will have a difficult time moving things along.

Above all, remember you are there to entertain. If someone wants to talk to you about something serious advise them this is a party but you can talk to them another time.

Good luck.

willowfox

If it were me, then my first thing on arrival would be a small shot of alcohol (I'm talking liquors here) to loosen the tongue, and help me relax, then later I would sip a coffee or 3 to keep me alert because after an hour or two it gets really tiring.

A sense of humour, and a great deal of patience are very important, and relax as it helps the brain work better and be more "receptive" to flashes of intuition.

Always be in control, I never let "people" mess with my cards, they ask their questions, I shuffle. If the client gets too excited or boisterous I stop reading until they get over their fit and only resume when they are willing to listen to me. When the client starts asking a variation of the same question, then I just look around and ask loudly, "who's next?".

Chronata

I have done lots of the home parties.
Don't worry so much or stress too much...you already know some of these people, and they are probably looking forward to getting a reading from you!

Two things...(besides the water...that's an awesome point!)

One...try and discourage people from listening in or sitting in with their friends for the reading. I know there are times when it's ok for someone to have a friend there for encouragement, if they are nervous. (I let them do it during certain events, where it isn't an intimate gathering)

But I have had a lot of personal things come up in situations like this...sometimes it's best it you don't have an extra ear that's going to be sharing secrets with the whole room!

Two...have a guest book. Even if you already know many of them, get addresses, or emails...so that you can periodically send little notes to keep you fresh in their mind...I can't tell you how much repeat business and referrals I got with this one little trick!

Over all...relax into it...you know you can do this! Good luck!