Ideas for bags

misskrystalx

I am working on a few drawstring bags for my cards. I am planning on doing some applique, some embroidery,beading, etc. I may wind up selling some on ebay and/or local craft bazaars. Other than the standard pentagram and astrological signs, what would most tarot owners like?

I've found selling other crafts that its the unusual, not run of the mill stuff that people like (and buy). Im finding tons of designs on google,that would relate well, but would love to have your input.

Also still looking for something for my own that "grabs" me, you know? I love making my own things, it makes them more "mine", somehow.

PS I hope this is in the correct board. If not, I apologize.

beekie

I actually made my own tarot bags! I used fabric that relates to each deck and this makes it easier to identify which deck is inside.

For my Pagan Cats deck, i found a pink fabric with cartoon kitties on it. I found a black cat charm to tie on the draw string (which is white lace ribbon)

For my Sweet Twilight deck, the fabric is black/grey like a cloudy rainy day. The charm is a butterfly

For my oracle cards, and this one is my fave, i found a super soft fabric (like for a baby blanket) thats a blue sky with clouds and the charm is an elephant

You get the idea. But have fun and just be creative! I consider my bags "homes" for my decks so they need to be as personal as possible :)

misskrystalx

Beekle, I'd love to see photos! They sound awesome.

I found a great fabric today that I'm totally in love with. Its a dark purple-y blue with gold stars. I will definitely use that and a few others I have in my stash.

I'm Going to start a couple and see what works.

beekie

Sounds pretty! If you want you can PM me your email and I can send you pics! I dont use any networking sites or anything so I dont have them posted any where.

Making the bags is quick, plus like you said, it really helps to brand them "yours" :)

Astraea Aurora

When one of my decks is in need of a new home I try to find a bag where the fabric ties in with the theme of the deck. My beloved Wildwood lives in a forest green felt bag with golden drawstrings.

If you want to sell them you should probably think about a few things. Lining - yes or no and if yes, in which color? Drawstring - one version is where you only pull on one side of the bag, the other version is more "complicated" where you can pull on both sides of the bag. General style - drawstring bag or a purse style with a flap?

When I still had the Vice Versa I made a white bag in a purse style with a flap twice as large as the bag. When I opened it up I had to flip the bag and the deck therein twice until I could take it out. It seemed fitting for a "look behind the scenes" theme.

My most beloved and most complicated bag is for my Archeon. It's made from a black on black striped shirt sleeve from an old button up shirt. Unlined, I just cut it off, buttons and all, trimmed and hemmed the edges inside out. It opens up with the buttons and a decorative drawstring between the second to last and the last button. Clearly you'd have a hard time finding a wide enough shirt sleeve for the DruidCraft ;)

Astraea Aurora :grin:

tarotbear

When I was costuming I made many reticules to match the women's dresses, so making bags is second nature. The ones I've made for Tarot cards always have a flat bottom, and always have double draw strings so that they 'purse' correctly and open easier.

I recommend a fabric with a large motif for some- so that when you cut it into smaller pieces the design is incomplete - so no two bags are alike - and also decorate them differently, too! It's easier to come up with 'variations' than try to create 100 different bag designs. I would also zig-zag over rattail cord, yarns, metallic trims, etc., in random curves and squiggles so that no two are ever alike, doing this while they are still flat and unassembled.

Wintergreen

You could also include a nice tag that people can write the name of the deck on. I've done my own and they're all the same, but it would be nicer if the tag matched the bag.

Also, I love little charms, or some kind of distinctive bead hanging from the drawstrings.

tarotbear

Also, I love little charms, or some kind of distinctive bead hanging from the drawstrings.

Or - if you are really maniacal - you can bead your own beaded fringes around the bag! (these are on velvet scarves ...)

Attachments

• Beaded Fringes 002.jpg
    Beaded Fringes 002.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Beaded Fringes 008.jpg
    Beaded Fringes 008.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Beaded Fringes 011.jpg
    Beaded Fringes 011.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 61

baylys

Or - if you are really maniacal - you can bead your own beaded fringes around the bag! (these are on velvet scarves ...)

Those are very impressive!!!!

Melisandre

I crochet most of my own bags - I like putting a personal touch on them.

Crochet is pretty easy to learn and there are plenty of helpful YouTube videos to get you started if you're interested.