Is this usual?

Thoughtful

Do you read with a deck for some time and then suddenly you look at them and they mean nothing to you.
Does it mean the energies are gone from the cards, can they get over worked. Do they need a rest and will then resume as usual.
Has it happened to you, would like your take on this.

tarotbear

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Anything, even something you love dearly - can get boring and trite over time. Sometimes you have to put it down and walk away from it...for days or even YEARS at a time.

RunningWild

Variety is the spice of life

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Anything, even something you love dearly - can get boring and trite over time. Sometimes you have to put it down and walk away from it...for days or even YEARS at a time.

And that's why many lovers of Tarot have so many decks. A new deck could bring a new perspective, new insights, and new vocabulary. Eventually they may go back to that deck that they stepped away from, reinvigorated.

Thoughtful

Thanks tarot bear and running wild.
Well l do have a few decks but always wanted to finally settle down with one pack. I thought l had cracked it then it happened again, l wondered is it me. I do know of several tarot readers who have used the same deck for years.

WyrdRaven

I am careful not to use the cards overmuch. That way, I never get tired of my favorites. Of course it helps to have new decks coming in periodically; that way there are always new voices to be heard from, and new faces to contemplate. And there's nothing like the breath of fresh air that switching to an oracle deck can provide!

VGimlet

I had this happen with my Aquarian many moons ago, it was what set me on the path to being a collector. It had been my one and only for 29 years, and suddenly....blankness.

If it happens more than once with the same deck, I change it up.

If it ever happens more than a few times in a row, with different decks I'll know it's time to take a tarot break. :p Sometimes it's good to take a break.

Eco74

I think that we constantly grow and change. If not physically, we change mentally and spiritually.

Having a deck that works really well and then not getting anything from it could be an indicator that something has happened in our lives that makes us see things in a different light.

Say for instance that you're moving to a different place, finding yourself surrounded by a new town, new people, a new way of life.
Your old trusted deck suddenly stops talking to you like it used to. Not only is everything else new, you can't even keep your old deck?!? But then, if everything else is new - why not the deck aswell?
If your outlook on life has changed and you're moving from say a smaller town to a larger city your whole view of day-to-day life will be different. So, it's not really all that strange that the cards with images reminiscent of your life at a different pace in a different place may get you off kilter.

Maybe they work perfectly again the times you go back home and visit family and friends, but in the new setting - you may find another deck that has the easy going communication going, simply because it fits in better with 'who you are' in this new place.

Or it could be an emotional growth.
Maybe you've had a more 'romantic' deck for a few years. Then life gets you down, breaks your heart and leavs you slightly jaded. The cards no longer seem deep or profound, they no longer reach you like they used to... Instead they seem naive or bland.
Your heart and view on life may have changed - and with that your mental filter.

WalesWoman

Do you read with a deck for some time and then suddenly you look at them and they mean nothing to you.
Does it mean the energies are gone from the cards, can they get over worked. Do they need a rest and will then resume as usual.
Has it happened to you, would like your take on this.

It's usually not the deck, but me. Getting another deck may not solve that problem either, since usually it won't matter what deck it is, my brain refuses to bother and rebells and won't make sense of anything... so I watch TV or read a book and give myself a break.

Thoughtful

Thank you all so much for your comments. l shall try one of my other decks for a while and see how it goes.
If all else fails l will give the cards and myself a break for a while. It was interesting to read that you VGimlet had it happen after 29 years! its so upsetting because you feel such a rapport with the cards then out of the blue they clam up on you!
This of course has given me an excuse to look at getting some new cards, not that we tarotists need much excuse, ha ha. It will be a lovely thing to do whilst l am in the reading wilderness!

velvetina

yes, quite unexpectedly almost 10 years ago, I lost that connection with my personal Thoth deck, and then my 'work' Thoth deck.

The first kept 'sticking', but wasn't damaged; I tried all kinds of remedies but nothing worked - and then I realised I could only use these decks intellectually, not intuitively :(

it was odd, we'd been so close for so long, then.....nothing