Should I get rid of some decks?

baylys

Oh dear, I have to make a decision...

I have a over 40 decks now that I have collected, some for their art, some because they are THE deck to use, some because they are OOP & HTF and were a bargain etc, etc, etc.

Many I have never read with simply because I haven't connected with them and I'm thinking I should have a cull, partly to raise some money, but also to release these fabulous decks out into the big, wide world again.

But then the hoarder in me takes over. What if I want that deck again, it's already OOP & HTF, so if I get rid of it, then what??? What if, what if?!?!

You can see my dilemma?

I really could do with a bit of extra money, but parting with decks, even ones I don't use, like or need, makes me uncertain. Maybe I'll stay broke for a bit longer...

HELP!!!! What should I do? Have a cull on here, or keep them all.

Have a look at my profile decks. The ones with an asterisk are the one I am thinking of getting rid of on here. Should I or should I not, that is the question.

Sometimes I hate having OCD, I never learn the concept of moderation...

Winterchild

:)

I have decided you need to get rid of 3 of the decks .....!!!! I emailed you LOL x

tarotcognito

I have decided you need to get rid of 3 of the decks .....!!!! I emailed you LOL x
LOL!!

Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, but for all the times I have parted with a deck in the past, I have always, always regretted it, and ended up buying it all over again later. I own about 30 decks, love buying and collecting them despite the fact I only use one.

Moderation?

Never heard of that evil word.

baylys

LOL!!

Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, but for all the times I have parted with a deck in the past, I have always, always regretted it, and ended up buying it all over again later. I own about 30 decks, love buying and collecting them despite the fact I only use one.

Moderation?

Never heard of that evil word.

That's what I'm afraid of, that I'll regret getting rid of them, even though I don't use most of them.

What to doooo.....?!?!?!

WalesWoman

Funny, there are 3 on your list that I will never ever part with and quite a few on your keeper's list I am thinking releasing into the wild. Just goes to show...

But from past experience, I have usually regretted and had to find again, usually paying lots more for decks I got rid of... Victorian Romantic is a good example. I had the 1st edition, gave it away because I was having a really bad slump and when I decided I missed it and needed it again... it was announced that it was going out of print and the price skyrocketed and it was super hard to find.

baylys

I think I agree. I gifted the Tarot 2000 to a friend, then almost immediately wanted it again. Got another copy and book, gifted it again, then wanted it again. I KNOW I don't connect with that deck but I can't help myself from wanting it. You'd think I'd learn...

I think I might keep them for now, as you say (apart from Winterchild who has her eyes on some lol), I will regret it if I get rid of them, whether I use them or not. Pity they don't take up less room.

Thanks for your help.

Debra

Sometimes I sell or trade decks when I feel overwhelmed, like I just have too much stuff. Usually it's when we move house. We move house every couple of years :laugh: I don't keep decks I really don't like and won't miss. I've re-bought a few too.

Unless you have hoarding tendencies, hanging on to 40 decks is not really hoarding. They're like books. You might have 40 paperbacks stacked on a shelf and no one would blink an eye. You don't have to constantly read them to make them worth keeping.

Honestly, your best bet is probably to put the two lists on the trading forum and see if you can come to an easy agreement to trade them on.

Thoughtful

I was about to have a cull too, thinking l had found my one and only deck, but
it gave up on me (hopefully temporarily). I rummaged through my decks and found one
l had never used (Osho Zen) l had even lent it out several times with view to letting it go permanently, but am l glad its still with me because l have found a really good connection with it, l keep thinking of that lucky escape, so don't part with any unless you really know deep down that a deck holds absolutely nothing for you. As for OOps hang on, there would be value there later for you.

Richard

I've been thinking about a cull, but I hate the idea of packaging and mailing anything. Also, thanks to the Patriot Act, the USPS acts as if you are are sending a mail bomb or worse, especially if it is to a destination outside the US. It's easier to toss them in the trash, but then I think about people who might appreciate what I'm throwing away. It's kind of a dilemma.

[size=+2]AAAARRRGGH!!!![/size]

Alta

baylys, I strongly suggest that you don't give in to the whim of the moment. If you still feel like this in 6 or 8 months, then maybe. It isn't as if decks are huge or hard to store.

I just rediscovered the Cosmic after years of sitting in a drawer and am enjoying it.