Chart Reading: Step #6, Martha Stewart -- The Social Achievement planets

dadsnook2000

Social Achievement as signified by JUPITER and SATURN.

These two outer planets in ancient times (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) have come to symbolize the two poles of personal and social achievement; optimism, vision, faith in ones own skills and resources versus caution and protection of resources.

Of course, there is a lot more individual symbolism to these two giants of the solar system but it is instructive to consider some of their attributes as pairs: courage vs caution, hopeful vs realistic, eager vs serious, assertive vs deliberate. How we work out these sometimes contradictory approaches to life is the key to understanding how these symbols seem to work in our chart.

1) Aspects between Jupiter and Saturn, if they exist in a chart.

2) Phase angles between Saturn and Jupiter; eight 45 degree phase segments provide a solid understanding of their general interaction.

3) Sign and House placement of each -- how does a classical approach get interpreted.

4) Your perceived meaning of this pair in terms of how the basic Sun and Moon symbols tend to drive the chart.

So, in this sixth step of basic chart interpretation, our task is to consider Jupiter and Saturn in any one or several ways we feel comfortable with. Our goal is to explore how Martha Stewart seems to have employed these energies to reach her personal and social/business goals and how they feed back into her Sun and Moon energies.

Keep in mind that you can feel free to incorporate some of the prior findings of the earlier steps, and to draw upon any biographical data to help illustrate your conclusions.

In a later step we will be looking more at Uranus, Neptune and Pluto to examine how Martha fits in with generational needs. After that, if any wish, we will play a series of games with her chart which I call "WHAT IF" games as a means of dramatizing some of her chart components. Have fun. Dave.

gloria

A very small contribution

Saturn in Taurus shows great stamina and persistence. Also shows a practical and thrifty person.
Maybe a strong need for emotional and financial security.(Well no maybe for Martha, more a definite here) Possesses the will to work hard for success, but needs to guard against making material things her god in life. Possessive of loved ones and must overcome jealousy. (From what I have read about Martha and her marriage, this is certainly true.
Problems with finances if Saturn is afflicted.

Saturn in 7th house This placement shows possibility of marriage being based on security rather than love. But I don’t believe her husband was well off at the time, I think they rented a small apartment in the early years of marriage because of lack of money.
Again here if Saturn is afflicted possibility of lawsuits and treachery from enemies.

Well Dave is Saturn afflicted? I expect this point has already been discussed so please forgive me for asking again.

Gloria

isthmus nekoi

Saturn makes some soft aspects and generally in the 7th house w/Taurus, one would think of stable relationships. However, its conjunction w/Uran makes this Saturn a little less predicatable and orderly. Taking into account the Venus placement(http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18360), we may find that 7th house issues are not clear cut, nor a place of ease for MS.

Interpreting this along what we've already said, I would say that in general, MS gets on better if she is allowed to have a role where she can act independently, and lead.

Moongold

Dealing with Jupiter first ~ Jupiter in the 8th House would give Martha an understanding of the importance of influence and power in business relationships and one can assume that is born out in her business life. The Scorpio influence is also here again because Scorpio rule the 8th House but it probably gets too fanciful to speculate too much about this influence,

However Jupiter does oppose Martha’s Moon which is in Sagittarius, ruled by Jupiter. We have already spoken about the relatively weak position of the Moon in Martha’s chart so perhaps this aspect is not of great importance, but it may have weakened her judgement a little, and with the Scorpio influence, have made her inherently suspicious of others. Jupiter sextile Sun may have enhanced Martha’s vision in a business sense, and made her an inspiring boss, a good leader is many ways. This aspect may also influence Martha’s relationship with her father, of which we have already spoken

Mars sextile Jupiter is a fairly powerful aspect, however, and it would have given everything Martha did an extra bit of pzazz . I missed the discussion on the personal planets and haven’t read it yet (sorry) but I remember that Mars is fairly significant with Martha. Jupiter would have favourably influenced Martha’s Mars,

Moongold

Could Dave, Minderwiz or Isthmus ......... please explain again in simple terms what "afflicted" means?

dadsnook2000

An astrological affliction

An "affliction" can take several forms but, most simply, it occurs when an astrological body is aspected in a way that implies a difficulty (Sun conjunct Saturn) (Moon square Pluto); or when a planet is in a sign that is considered less supportive (Saturn in Cancer) (Venus in Scorpio); or when a planet is in a house that doesn't support its full expression (Pluto in the 3rd) (Sun in the 8th).

Now, anyone can argue with my examples and claim that they have such a pattern and that its fine for them. That's OK. The idea behind viewing something as an "affliction" or as being dignified, etc. is that it is a type of astrological shorthand that gives us an initial "feel" for components of a chart.

Once we get into a chart more deeply it is often the case that apparent difficulties prove to be growth developing challenges or positive attributes in some way. We make our chart be what we need it to be -- if we are smart. We let our chart rule our lives -- if we are dumb about it all and want to just be spectators in this life. Remember an old church saying, "The lord helps those that help themselves." We choose how to express our chart symbols. Dave.

isthmus nekoi

In terms of affliction, we also have to bear in mind though, that the planets may indicate the childhood environment. A child does not have the same agency as the adult to express chart energies.

Also, the no matter what age, the native to a degree has no conscious control over how the energies are acted upon them. For example, you win the lottery, transiting Jupiter was making some sweet aspects. The only thing you did there was buy the ticket. Millions of people buy tickets. Only you win. There's not much agency there but a helluva lotta luck! It had absolutely nothing to do w/being 'smart', 'more conscious' or 'highly individuated'.

But yes, affliction should not be taken to mean something is 'bad', or to relieve the native of responsibility. If I'm born extremely agressive that doesn't mean I can rob a bank and say: hey, that's just how my natal chart plays out.

dadsnook2000

My comments on Jupiter and Saturn

Jupiter, conjunct Venus, is in opposition to Saturn; Jupiter in the 7th angle, Saturn in the Ascending angle.

*** EDITED POST ***
I have mistakenly used another chart that placed in the wrong folder, a chart that I had been looking at. I wrote the original posting while attempting to help children with school work and did not realize that I was working with another familiar chart. The following post has been edited in some places. I will write more in another post. Dave.

ASPECTS:
Jupiter opposite Saturn suggests alternating self-views on your values and strengths versus how other's view those values and strengths. Confidence or a facade? Sun in the 9th suggests that a larger and expanded view of life is possible, that a grandness in manners and use of diplomacy is used to achieve goals. Saturn conjunct Uranus, suggesting a willingness to adopt new plans at the drop of a hat -- perhaps a tactic to get her way with others. The trine to Neptune shows a skill at deflection, while the closing semi-square to Mars shows a willingness to sacrifice the work of others when something new is required.

RULERSHIPS:
Jupiter rules the 2nd which contains the Moon, Saturn the 3rd.
The opposition-by-sign suggests that Martha's opportunities are fine-tuned by public reaction. Appropriate to her life-style and working nature.

More later. Dave.

Moongold

Dave, just a small question... what house system are you using as I have a completely diferent set of rulerships?

dadsnook2000

For Moongold A BIG GOOF.

Campanus is the house system.

HOWEVER, I was helping the kids with homework and trying to type a message --- guess what? I had M-Press'es chart in Martha's folder and used that instead. (RED FACED, big time). So, list, please disregard my prior. I'll have to just do it again. Both charts were familiar to me and I was just running on automatic trying to do two things at once plus watch the Monday night football game. Dave.