A Lady's Cycle.

KristyRex

Warning: This is a personal topic regarding a womanly issue.

Hi there,

I'd like to start off this post by giving a little of my own history;

I've had an issue with an irregular menstrual cycle since I first started (excessive, month-two month long bleedings). It was so bad, that I was put on a birth control pill at age 10. I've been on some form of birth control from then up until now.

I guess we never considered that I'd like to have a child some day... (I hope I'm capable of having one...)

So now that my husband and I are trying, I'm no longer taking birth control and my cycle from hell is back.

I've been doing some research on how to regulate it naturally and so far, I've not got much, and what I do have I'm not sure about.

I've read that carrying or wearing jade, moonstone, rose quartz, ruby, or selenite constantly for three full cycles will regulate it.

I've tried a few teas as well, but they've never helped.

Then I read this:

"Fertility cycles are influenced by light. In pre-industrialized times, without artificial lights, women would all bleed together at the New Moon and ovulate at the Full Moon. The increased light from the Full Moon induces ovulation through the light sensitivity of the pituitary and pineal glands. The pineal gland produces more melatonin when it is dark. Melatonin depresses the functions of the gonads, thus decreases fertility. You can induce ovulation through the practice of Lunaception by sleeping in total dark for all of the month, except the 3 days of the Full Moon sleep with no curtains in the light of the moon. This is an effective way to regulate menstrual cycles and ovulation timing."

-Source unknown to me

I wonder if there is some truth to this?

What do you think? And do you know of any other methods that may help, but won't interfere with my trying to have a baby?

gregory

There is some truth to it - I know that nuns in convents all tend to end up menstruating at the same time. But from what I remember when I read this, it was to do with their hormones all sort of blending in the air, sort of - like pheromones attract people to each other, presumably female hormones can also reach other females in the same way.

I don't see why - if it is a light thing - all women who live in the same sort of area don't all menstruate together anyway - let's face it, most of us have lights on at fairly similar times.

But you have nothing to lose by getting some blackout curtains ! You'd probably sleep better if nothing else.

KristyRex

There is some truth to it - I know that nuns in convents all tend to end up menstruating at the same time. But from what I remember when I read this, it was to do with their hormones all sort of blending in the air, sort of - like pheromones attract people to each other, presumably female hormones can also reach other females in the same way.

I don't see why - if it is a light thing - all women who live in the same sort of area don't all menstruate together anyway - let's face it, most of us have lights on at fairly similar times.

But you have nothing to lose by getting some blackout curtains ! You'd probably sleep better if nothing else.

This may sound a bit strange, but most groups of women (Such as a mother and her daughters) will have their cycle at the same time. My mother refereed to it as the herding effect.
I know when I was in high school, My three friends (all girls) and I would have the same cycle time.

The same with my cousin and her mother & sister.

During my summers with my father, my cycle would sync with stepmother's.

The odd thing though, is because my cycles would last for so long, my friends, mother, and stepmother would experience cramping or other menstrual related symptoms long after their cycle came to an end.

Now that I'm not taking any birth control and I only live with my husband, my cycle comes at random and often without warning. Only then does the agony kick in (I'm not exaggerating, even doctors agree that my symptoms aren't normal-that includes the pain levels). My last cycle lasted a month an a half! And I look anemic. . .

shelikes2read

This may sound a bit strange, but most groups of women (Such as a mother and her daughters) will have their cycle at the same time. My mother refereed to it as the herding effect.
I know when I was in high school, My three friends (all girls) and I would have the same cycle time.

The same with my cousin and her mother & sister.

During my summers with my father, my cycle would sync with stepmother's.

The odd thing though, is because my cycles would last for so long, my friends, mother, and stepmother would experience cramping or other menstrual related symptoms long after their cycle came to an end.

Now that I'm not taking any birth control and I only live with my husband, my cycle comes at random and often without warning. Only then does the agony kick in (I'm not exaggerating, even doctors agree that my symptoms aren't normal-that includes the pain levels). My last cycle lasted a month an a half! And I look anemic. . .
You might actually be anemic after all that bleeding. I would say to ask your doctor to do a complete bloodwork panel on you, if that hasn't been done already. You might need some prescription-level iron supplements to make sure all your numbers are where they belong.

Major amounts of bleeding/lengthy cycles could be an indicator of fibroid issues. It was that way with me. I realize I had the Fibroid from Hell, and most people will not have to go through what I did. But it will be well worth having that possibility checked, if you haven't already done so, because it could cause some risk to your health and that of the baby to have untreated fibroids and become pregnant. MUCH better to be safe than sorry.

I sincerely feel for you, having been through no shortage of dreadful cycle-related symptoms over the years. I send thoughts and prayers that you and your doctor can get those symptoms under control, to allow you to both feel better and have a healthy, successful pregnancy.

KristyRex

You might actually be anemic after all that bleeding. I would say to ask your doctor to do a complete bloodwork panel on you, if that hasn't been done already. You might need some prescription-level iron supplements to make sure all your numbers are where they belong.

Major amounts of bleeding/lengthy cycles could be an indicator of fibroid issues. It was that way with me. I realize I had the Fibroid from Hell, and most people will not have to go through what I did. But it will be well worth having that possibility checked, if you haven't already done so, because it could cause some risk to your health and that of the baby to have untreated fibroids and become pregnant. MUCH better to be safe than sorry.

I sincerely feel for you, having been through no shortage of dreadful cycle-related symptoms over the years. I send thoughts and prayers that you and your doctor can get those symptoms under control, to allow you to both feel better and have a healthy, successful pregnancy.

I thank you for your concern & prayers, they are greatly appreciated; but I've been in and out of doctor's offices due to this issue for years.

Rosie_0801

Some people have good luck with chiropractics and a few of my aunt's friends concieved after consulting a Chinese herbalist. I don't know what they were proscribed, but even if I did, you shouldn't be taking medical advice from me!

Best of luck.

KristyRex

Some people have good luck with chiropractics and a few of my aunt's friends concieved after consulting a Chinese herbalist. I don't know what they were proscribed, but even if I did, you shouldn't be taking medical advice from me!

Best of luck.

Thank you. And as for taking medical advice from you, no offense, but I merely suggestions from others and then research them thoroughly as well as consult a professional herbalist. =]

It would be silly of anyone to take advice from strangers without doing their homework. It's just not safe.

Better safe than sorry.

wildchilde

Hi KristyRex,

I'm so sorry to hear you have been suffering so long with this issue. Because of this and the fact that you are trying to get pregnant, I would encourage you to seek out a reproductive endocrinologist as you really really need to find the source of and deal with the underlying issue causing your hormonal "abnormality" before you become pregnant, both because pregnancy itself wreaks havoc on your hormones and your entire body and because often the "treatments" (even herbal etc) can have devastating effects on fertility and pregnancy.

That being said, our cycles are ruled by the cycles of the moon, what you read will help but given the extent of your problem I don't believe it will "cure" it any time soon. Re-syncing your cycle with the moon in our day and times takes many many months (like 6 to 12) of constant attention and usually requires you to sit and stare at the full moon not just sleeping by it. It does work but I really don't think you have that kind of time given your particular situation. And this really doesn't address the underlying issue which is hormonal (likely very high estrogen and very low progesterone production) because all it is meant to do is re-sync your cycle to the "correct" timing.

As far as herbs, the absolute best for female hormone regulation is Dong Quai. You should probably also check into using Blue or Black Cohosh and Vitex agnus-castus. NONE of these should be used while pregnant! But are essential to regulating your hormone imbalance. Other herbs that would be excellent to help you right now (and should be safe even if you become pregnant) would be Red Raspberry Leaf, Lobelia, Blessed Thistle, and Chlorophyll (essential for increasing iron levels). I would deeply and lovingly suggest you use alternative birth control methods while you try to get your cycle regulated, due to the symptoms of irregular cycle problems you may not know you are pregnant right away which could be detrimental to your baby. It also, of course, is best to work directly with a qualified herbalist ;)

As far as the crystals, the ones you mentioned are more for "fertility" than for dealing with hormonal imbalances (that may or may not cause infertility). Unless the doctors have specifically told you your issues have caused infertility problems, please err on the side of caution and know that you can and likely will get pregnant if you are not using contraceptive methods of some kind. So it is best to deal with the hormonal issues before trying to deal with fertility or pregnancy related ones :)

For balancing hormones, you mostly need to be looking at the Root Chakra stones (with a few exceptions as noted):
Hematite balances blood flow and wards off anemia
Onyx balances masculine and feminine energies (i.e. progesterone and estrogen)
Pyrite helps to balance hormones
Smokey Quartz helps with female cramping, removing toxins from the body, balancing emotions, and it does address fertility issues
exceptions that fall into the heart, 3rd eye and crown chakra groups
Lepidolite helps with stress, depression, and mood swings
Magnesite addresses PMS issues, cramps, migraines, and detoxification
Rhodonite addresses hormonal issues and aides detoxification
Turquoise can help prevent mood swings, heal emotions, and revitalize the energy system.

Due to the extent of your issues, I would highly suggest combining several of these over an extended period of time (either through jewelry or a crystal grid) to balance your hormones and strengthen/detoxify your entire system. You are not only dealing with your hormonal imbalances but an overtaxed adrenal system. I wish you the best of luck, I know that trying to regulate our female systems is often very difficult, time consuming, and frustrating! However, you deserve to live a normal, healthy life without all these painful problems and you should have this before attempting a healthy pregnancy. :heart:

shelikes2read

I thank you for your concern & prayers, they are greatly appreciated; but I've been in and out of doctor's offices due to this issue for years.

If you're already working with doctors, then you're on the right track.

In my case, the first measurable thing that cropped up was a severe case of anemia, which blindsided pretty much everyone. It was just a routine bloodwork, so it's not like we were looking for anything in particular, and a stupendously bad set of numbers showed up.

So that got the docs looking into the root causes of where those terrible numbers came from, and in the process of the testing, an abdominal ultrasound showed what appeared to be a monster fibroid, and an MRI confirmed it.

I had never reported a problem with my cycle to the docs, over the years, because I *always* had a heavy cycle and nasty cramps, so for all I knew, this was a "normal for ME" cycle. I didn't realize that at some point, I'd crossed the line from "normal for me" to "not normal for anybody". And as for the giant fibroid (8" by 8" by 10"), I just figured I was putting on stubborn weight around the middle. Well, I do have extra weight on my frame, but now I understand that not all of my excess girth was the result of excess poundage.

Fortunately, they were able to treat everything with the combo of iron pills for the anemia, and surgery for the fibroid. But now that I understand what happened to me, in retrospect, I'm always going to be an advocate of "have a word with doctors for any and all symptoms". I could have literally died from the anemia, without ever having a clue that I was anemic, if I hadn't gotten that bloodwork when I did. That's how messed-up my numbers were by the time the situation was diagnosed.

I'm glad you're working with the doctors. If they haven't checked for anemia, they might want to do that sooner, rather than later, just to make sure you don't run into some serious illness issues. Good luck.

KristyRex

If you're already working with doctors, then you're on the right track.

In my case, the first measurable thing that cropped up was a severe case of anemia, which blindsided pretty much everyone. It was just a routine bloodwork, so it's not like we were looking for anything in particular, and a stupendously bad set of numbers showed up.

So that got the docs looking into the root causes of where those terrible numbers came from, and in the process of the testing, an abdominal ultrasound showed what appeared to be a monster fibroid, and an MRI confirmed it.

I had never reported a problem with my cycle to the docs, over the years, because I *always* had a heavy cycle and nasty cramps, so for all I knew, this was a "normal for ME" cycle. I didn't realize that at some point, I'd crossed the line from "normal for me" to "not normal for anybody". And as for the giant fibroid (8" by 8" by 10"), I just figured I was putting on stubborn weight around the middle. Well, I do have extra weight on my frame, but now I understand that not all of my excess girth was the result of excess poundage.

Fortunately, they were able to treat everything with the combo of iron pills for the anemia, and surgery for the fibroid. But now that I understand what happened to me, in retrospect, I'm always going to be an advocate of "have a word with doctors for any and all symptoms". I could have literally died from the anemia, without ever having a clue that I was anemic, if I hadn't gotten that bloodwork when I did. That's how messed-up my numbers were by the time the situation was diagnosed.

I'm glad you're working with the doctors. If they haven't checked for anemia, they might want to do that sooner, rather than later, just to make sure you don't run into some serious illness issues. Good luck.

The doctor's have proven pretty useless so far, to be honest. All we've discovered is that I have PMDD. We haven't really placed the excessive bleeding during my cycle...