Star Sapphires

Aura Wolf

I knew I should have started a new thread about this :> It got no attention in my other post.

My mother has this pinkish-purplish 'star sapphire' ring that she found somewhere when she was a little girl. It shows the pattern of a star when held under light. I understand it's pretty valuable, but we don't know what it's worth today. What's more is it's surrounded by tiny diamonds. I actually found a picture of a star sapphire that looks a lot like it:

http://www.simplysapphires.com/rubystarns254.html

So can anyone tell me what kind of properties this stone has? It would be interesting to find out.

Lethe

LORE:
The ancient Persians believed that the earth rested on a giant sapphire whose reflection gave the sky its color.

Damigeron, a historian of old, wrote that sapphire was worn by kings to protect them from harm. It was also believed that sapphire would protect the wearer from envy and attract divine favor. The gem was regarded as a symbol of truth, sincerity and constancy.

Legend has it that if a poisonous snake were put into a vessel along with a sapphire, the rays from the gem would kill it. Ancestors interpreted this to mean that sapphire was an antidote against poison.

Buddhists believed that the sapphire favored devotion and spiritual enlightenment.

In Christianity, sapphires were favored by bishops and cardinals as a symbol for Divine wisdom. It was honored in the Old Testament as a stone of prophecy and wisdom.

The blue sapphire is one of the universal gems of history, tying religions together.

Star sapphires are considered stones of great destiny. Some cultures believed that the three bars which cross to form six points on the surface of the gem represented faith, hope, and destiny or mission.

MAGICAL PROPERTIES:
The sapphire is also known as the Holy Stone, and a star sapphire Astrae. It is attuned to the element of water and is receptive, which means it is a calming, soothing, feminine stone.

Two deities are associated with sapphires, the first being the Greek God of the Sun, Apollo. Due to this, it was worn when consulting oracles. It is also loosely Associated with Hecate, (See, Jenn! I'm mentioning ya twice) for it was said her divination tool was a golden sphere, that held sapphire inside of it.

It is worn to stimulate the third eye for the purpose of expanding psychic awareness. The Ancient Greeks were aware of its ability to tap into the subconscious.

Sapphire is also a guardian of love. That is, it promotes fidelity and attunes the feelings between lovers. Anciently it was also worn to banish envy, to promote positive social interaction and to reconcile with foes; sapphire can be used for all those purposes within any kind of relationship, not just marital. Star sapphires are also thought to be especially effective for drawing or inducing love.

Sapphire, when a deep blue, can be worn during meditation or contemplated upon to expand wisdom. When you wear it, the stone promotes peace. The author of the pseudo-Albertus Magnus manuscripts of the late 1300's stated that this stone, worn, cools the "inward heat," or anger.

The sapphire is utilized in healing the body, especially the eyes, which are strengthened by its presence. It also reduces fevers and, when pressed to the forehead, halts bleeding from the nose.

Its use in defensive magic stretches back to antiquity. Once thought to "scare devils and evil" away, it is today worn in protective jewelry and during rituals designed to return negativity to its sender.

A related power attributed to sapphire is its legendary ability to guard its owner from captivity.

Generally worn as jewelry, sapphires are also utilized in money and wealth-attracting rituals. In early ceremonial magic the image of an astrolabe was engraved on the gem to increase wealth.

Star sapphires are considered to be more potent, magically speaking, for all uses.

Lethe

When I was in Sri Lanka I went to a gem mine, and saw the various processes that went into preparation of gemstones. Star Sapphires are indeed very beautiful stones.

Aura Wolf

Thanks Lethe, that was very helpful.

Hmm....both my boyfriend and I get a lot of nosebleeds :> I wonder if sapphire jewellery would do the trick? Haha...that's all I have.

punchinella

Just out of curiosity, what do folks here think about heat treatment? I'm just starting to contemplate a sapphire, & not quite sure what to think.

Lianne

People are often divided about heat treatment. There are "purists," who feel that for most crystals, once a stone has been subjected to such intense heat, any healing/metaphysical properties the stone may have had are rendered useless (I count myself in that camp). Then there are others who think that the heat doesn't affect the stone's energy (many stones are formed under intense heat conditions) and are fine with it, especially if one cares more about the stone's aesthetics than its healing properties. It's more a matter of personal preference, I think, and seeing what works for you in particular. The only real consensus about not using heat treated stones is if you are dealing with Jyotish (vedic/Indian) gems, in which case it is important to use untreated stones.

Btw, there are some gems that are almost universally treated in some way (heat, oiling, etc). Rubies, emeralds, and sapphires are almost always treated. To buy a good quality, attractive, unheated sapphire is extremely expensive (well over $1000). If you're buying a nice colored sapphire (especially the dark blue ones which, I admit, I do love) and it hasn't made a substantial dent in your wallet, it's practically guaranteed to have been treated.