Connemara Marble/Serpentine

Glass Owl

Does anyone know more about the metaphysical properties of Connemara marble and serpentine? From what I found online connemara marble is only found in western Ireland and:

"Connemara marble dates back to the pre-Cambrian era and has certainly taken hundreds of millions of years to form. Just as with typical marble, it is limestone that has been subjected to extreme amounts of heat and pressure that caused its transformation into the marble we enjoy now. It is composed of re-crystallized carbonate minerals such as dolomite or calcite while its mica components give the marble its attractive shine.

Its characteristic 40 shades of green come from the presence of other minerals particularly serpentine that, in turn, came from the mixture of high magnesium limestone and silica impurities.

The ratio between the limestone and the serpentine, among other trace minerals in the Earth, determines the distinctive green hues of the whorls, swirls and veins."

In the past month it seems as if I have been drawn to it. First, I stumbled upon some pictures of jewelry pieces with Connemara marble (the darker green variety) and I thought "wow, that's really pretty." And then for Christmas I received a Connemara marble pendant necklace (and I hadn't mentioned this to the person who gave it to me.) I thought it was just a coincidence but then tonight while looking at more pictures of Connemara marble, I realized that the rosary that I recently bought at a thrift store is also made of Connemara marble or possibly lemon serpentine. (I'm leaning more towards the Connemara marble though and the cross on it is decorated with Celtic trinity knots.)

shelikes2read

I have a pendant that I made from "New Jade", which is another name for Serpentine. I always look up the metaphysical properties of stones before I post them online, so I took a look at what I wrote for the New Jade pendant. This is a stone that is a bringer of good luck, prosperity, and harmony.

I haven't got any marble pieces, though, so I haven't got information about Marble just now. Connemara marble sounds gorgeous. If you're able to post some photos of these pendants and rosary, that would be wonderful. They sound beautiful.

And maybe I'll need to see if there are any jewelry supply sites that have Connemara Marble stones or beads, too. Thanks for the info on the new (to me) stone. :)

Chronata

Oh how cool! When so many pieces find their way to you so quickly...I never think it's just a coincidence! (like my dealing with amber earlier this year!)

I have a couple of little cups cut from Connemara marble and serpentine...I think I got them because they were pretty...but they really do encompass everything that the Cups suit stands for in tarot...
they represent love, emotional harmony, trust. They help open the heart chakra, and supposedly make you more empathic.

They also represent mystery and secrets and having the inner wisdom to understand the unknown. Pretty cool find!

Glass Owl

The rosary that I bought at the thrift store looks very similar to this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRISH-CONNE...795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588d20f2bb

but the beads on mine are all of the light yellowish green variety. If I remember correctly, lemon serpentine is sometimes called yellow jade. Since connemara marble does have serpentine in it I guess that explains its coloring and why there are so many shades.

This is the necklace that I received as a gift which has a connemara marble pendant: http://www.etsy.com/listing/7688635...age=5&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Strangely enough I came across another rosary today that resembles the other one a lot with oval beads that are bit more greenish. I couldn't believe it and for a few dollars I snatched it up. The beads feel less polished than the beads on the other rosary and the connemara marble pendant. I actually went ahead and removed a section of this rosary and added the connemara marble pendant to it and I think that they compliment each other really well.

Tomorrow I'll try to take a picture of the original rosary and the second rosary (which has been modified and has the connemara marble pendant on the bottom of it).

Chronata, thanks for the lovely symbolism of comparing connemara marble and serpentine to the cups in Tarot. I love the idea that it represents inner wisdom to understanding the unknown.

Glass Owl

Sorry this took so long, I was having some phone issues. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1357688658889.jpg
    PicsArt_1357688658889.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 897

shelikes2read

Wow, I really like that stone! That's gorgeous!

My favorite color is green, so I'm a big fan of green stones to begin with. Especially pretty ones like that! :) Use them in good health!

wildchilde

what beautiful finds! I would say they were definitely "meant to be"! ;)

I am not familiar with the Connemara Marble either, but it is very beautiful! so nice of you to share with us.

I have a lot of serpentine of differing shapes and colors, I would say you could probably tell the difference between the two by weight. The serpentine is extremely light weight, even larger pieces are going to feel like a feather. The marble, because of its density, would be much much heavier.