Is this Moon Stone?

Padma

hey :) nice stone, I like the striations in the second pic...but I do not think it is moonstone, which typically has a kind of milky inner light to it - your stone is too occluded to make me think of moonstone...you might try polishing it up, it is still gorgeous! But anyways, that's just my - even worse, "online" opinion. Take it in to a gemologist, they will be able to tell you for sure :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonstone_(gemstone)

angelmarlo

Thanks for your answer I think your right and I will be looking for a gemologist :)

raeanne

Hi Angelmarlo,
No, I don't think it is moonstone. It looks like it could be soapstone.

ThunderWolf

That one goes by two different names. One is snowy quartz. The other is milky quartz.

Hemera

Yes, I would say milky quartz,too.

linnie

It reminds me of a very opaque honey calcite egg I have... of course the egg is more orange, but it has the faint banding and is very opaque... Does that stone of yours feel kind of waxy, or just like a normal tumbled stone... and, is it whiter than the photo shows it to be, or is it really a buttermilk type colour, I wonder?

Bhavana

could it be that it's just unpolished? I have a few pieces, loose rocks and polished stones set in jewelry - they vary greatly. I agree with the post that says that moonstone has a translucence to it - but among the ones I have, that translucence varies, and polishing definitely brings it out.