Herbs for Healing Tennis Elbow

Rusty Neon

Does anyone have suggestions for herbal remedies that will heal Tennis Elbow? My case of tennis elbow is stubborn (and has lasted since April) and won't go away despite anti-inflammatory medication (prescription and Advil) and physio.

Thanks in advance!

Ruby7

Hi Rusty, Have you tried Glucosamine Sulfate? This is a natural supplement available at drug stores and health food stores in capsule form. Has been proven to be effective for joint, ligament inflammation. I checked online and it is considered effective for tennis elbow also. Do you have any other ailments? Just wondering because if your body is in a state of attacking itself (autoimmune symptoms, e.g. allergies, intestinal trouble) then your tennis elbow could be part of something else and in that case you could try Moducare, which helps to balance the immune system whether it is overactive or underactive.

I am not qualified in any way, have just done a lot of research, and tried a lot of different things over the past 15 years for health problems. Hope this helps, Ruby7

Rusty Neon

Ruby7 said:
Hi Rusty, Have you tried Glucosamine Sulfate? This is a natural supplement available at drug stores and health food stores in capsule form. Has been proven to be effective for joint, ligament inflammation. I checked online and it is considered effective for tennis elbow also. Do you have any other ailments?

Hi ruby, thanks. I did try capsules Glucosamine Sulphate + Chondroitin + MSM. However, since those supplements weren't seemingly indicated for tennis elbow, I had felt that any relief i got was placebo effect. But now, in view of it apparently being effective for tennis elbow, I'll give it a try again.

Other ailments? Neck and back, especially, neck. That may be aggravating the elbow condition. Hmm, anything herbal I could take for the neck?

TemperanceAngel

Rusty Neon said:

Other ailments? Neck and back, especially, neck. That may be aggravating the elbow condition. Hmm, anything herbal I could take for the neck?

Drinking a nervine like Chamomile may help or valerian, in capsule form. Take valerian at night 'cos it makes you sleepy. Oh and for a small few it has the reverse effect.

The other thing I can suggest is massage or make a liniment, olive oil is ok to use. Add some essential oils like eucalyptus, lavender or rosemary. Make sure you do neck stretches, like rotations and ask yourself: is it really your neck hurting or is there an underlying problem?

Hope this helps, Rusty ;).

XTAX

TemperanceAngel

P.S.

Don't use rosemary at night, your mind will be active and sleep will be little!

XTAX someone who knows through experience!

Sulis

Rusty reflexology is very good for busitis (tennis elbow) and very easy to do on yourself.

Massage around your knee as this is the referal area for your elbow (left knee if it's the left elbow, right knee if it's the right elbow). You may find a bit on your knee which is very sore. This relates to the sore part on the elbow.
Try to massage this sore bit about 3 times a day - after meals is good as it helps you to remember.
Sounds mad but it does work (honest) my mum has had excellent results for neck arthritis by massaging her thumbs.

Love and light

Sulis xx

raeanne

Hi Rusty Neon,
I have had bouts with tennis elbow and other forms of tendonitis for years. The only thing I have found that helps is Shark Cartilage. You can usually get this over the counter at any pharmacy or at a health food store. I buy the 740mg dosage. A bottle of 60 capsules costs about US$10.00. I take two capsules at night before I go to bed and two in the morning. I usually notice a difference within 10-12 hours. In a day or two I feel much better. I have several friends who also use shark cartilage. They get good results too, but one person I know is a bit slower to get results - maybe 2 or 3 days. The capsules do have a fishy smell when you sniff the bottle but you don't get any fishy taste at all, even if you belch after taking them. For pulled muscles or tendon problems of any kind, this stuff is great! I would NOT recommend this for anyone with allergies to fish or fish products, but I have never heard of anyone having a bad experience with shark cartilage. Let me know if you try it.

dolphinprincess

Hi Rusty Neon - I suffered from your ailment for several years. It started in my neck / upper back as you mentioned... eventually moving down my arm.. I had a zillion xrays and tests (nerve tests, needs, yuck!).... that showed tennis elbow.. although they couldn't figure the neck thing out...

I've also tried a zillion supplements.. One thing that REALLY helped me was massage... I came across several techniques while in MT school last year...

I took a workshop with Michael Young on something called Muscle Release Technique.. (it goes by similar names with other people).. VERY helpful... if you can find someone in your area that offers it...

Minderwiz

I'm not sure these herbals are helpful in the long term but the may offer at least some analgesic qualities:

Chickweed (possibly combined with St John's Wort)
Nightshade (both common and deadly)
Sow thistle
Teasel
Viper's Bugloss.

I am reliant on Culpepper's herbal for the above and as Tennis Elbow wasn't a known condition in those days, I've gone for ant-inflamatories.

Again I doubt any will be a solution in itself but they may well helpd combined with some of the other treatments mentioned.

TemperanceAngel

Minderwiz said:

Chickweed (possibly combined with St John's Wort)
Nightshade (both common and deadly)
Sow thistle
Teasel
Viper's Bugloss.

I am reliant on Culpepper's herbal for the above and as Tennis Elbow wasn't a known condition in those days, I've gone for ant-inflamatories.

What a genius Culpepper is!
Chickweed is used externally for things like eczema, psoriasis, bites, burns etc. I am not sure about it helping tennis elbow. I would also be weary using nightshade plants, as they can aggrevate joints.

Sorry, Minderwiz, not trying to say you are wrong, but Culpepper is quite dated, at times. Please don't be offended.

XTAX

Massage seems like a good solution.