Basis of stones and crystals books

greatdane

I was just wondering what books, research, most books on stones, crystals, and their benefits are based upon. Are there books going back decades, centuries, are most, or some, based upon Edgar Cayce's books? I am just interested where authors get the information they use in their books, since some books vary in what they describe what certain stones do or don't do. I also know that stones and crystals are very individual, some working one way for some people, others in totally different ways for others, and it's a very personal process. So...where does this info on these books really come from? I've noticed some authors own stores that sell stones and crystals. I am not questioning the validity of these books, their sources, just wondering, is there something really considered kind of a bible or ultimate source for books that have come out in the last forty or fifty years or are they all just kind of getting info from each other? I am of certain stones and crystals for what they do for me, but often the things I like about these stones or crystals are described as doing entiredly different things on certain sites or in certain books, so...is there any ultimate guide? For those of you really into stones and crystals, what is your definitive guide, or at least the best you've found? Anyone have any really old books on crystals and stones? And yes, I have seen threads here re books, but most fall within what I have written above. I just want to know where all these people really got their info to start with. I love stones and crystals and will always use them, but finding a great book seems almost impossible given the very personal nature of stones. I tend to try a few and it's just trial and error....

stonesatiety

Hi greatdane: I meant to post a reply awhile ago, but I've been busy. I don't know of any real old books that discuss the energetic properties of minerals. The guide created from experience in this section is as good as anything else I've seen. Books I've seen come from personal experience, channelling, theory, or copied from another non-ancient source. In the store I worked in, the owner copied short descriptions from a well known author's book and made cards for the small polished stones, for example. I helped occasionally with individual stones.

Friends of mine who sell stones and other items have written three or more stone books in which they write what the stones share (meaning by communicating), include a geological description written by a geologist and have stories of friends' experience with the stones. Another person I know channels and experiences a stone's metaphysical properties, then shares that in a big catalogue.

I stopped using books quite awhile ago. Once we open to what the stones share, we no longer need assistance from other humans. The stones know more than any human about working with stones. One large crystal can hold more information than all the libraries on earth! And stones do! It's incredible. Trust what comes and stick with it. Like the clearing in your recent post, it's simple.

greatdane

thanks stonesatiety

I do get what you're saying and I agree, we must find our own way. My issue is partly that with limited funds, it would be nice to know what stones are purported to do what. When I look them up, it's basically what DON'T they do. When one has a limited budget and can't just buy them all, it would be nice to have a reliable simple primer or guide. I see books that contradict each other, sites that contradict or basically list a million things (often these sites are also selling stones, but not always). I am trying to find stones for specific things and while I know it IS different for everyone, that some may do one thing for one person and something else for another, it would be handy to know the most reliable guide to kind of get started. From there, I do agree we find our own way, but we all have to start somewhere and without a gazillion dollars to buy every stone to see how they may affect us (unfortunately there isn't a great stone place near me, so it's not like I can just go and handle them and see, THAT would be the BEST way! I could then just buy what felt right to me). So for those who must buy online, a good simple guide would be great. I do just buy some stones from Delizt and they were all wonderful. Not in the way I expected, but they were all incredible specimens and I am thrilled I got them.

stonesatiety

greatdane: The universe offers opportunity in every apparent obstacle. If you can only buy online, why not try online? With an intention of opening to stones best for me, I first trust my inner feeling. That always tells us. There is no substitute for playing with trusting ourselves over and over and over. At some point this becomes second nature, like noticing a butterfly.

Once you have narrowed your choices down to a hundred stones or so--LOL!--pick one you really like. Look at the picture and notice any bodily reactions you have. Then ask the stone if it will share its energy with you. Sit still, continuing to notice what you feel. You will probably know whether the stone is for you, funds permitting. This process is simple and effective. Most of my stones came from online purchases.

I too have limited funds. During the initial months of working with stones, I went way over budget, trusting my inner guidance. This was a way to help me work on fear of lack and money issues. I don't recommend going overboard like I did. That's a far-reaching decision. For personal healing and even regular healing work on others, a small selection of stones is plenty. Stones are extremely powerful.

Another way to experience a wide variety of stone energy is with rocks. I meet all kinds of rocks on my walks. Rocks contain what we need as well. This can stretch us more than working with crystals, because after all, rocks lie all over the place. How could they be so valuable?! As with mined stones, each rock is unique.

greatdane

I do understand what you're saying, stonesatiety, In my post below, I mentioned I did buy online from Delizt here and was very happy. I also have just picked up rocks wandering around (I lived in Arizona until a little over a year ago, and still have some I picked up from walks there too). Let's just say my inner guidance tends to work better when I can actually see and hold a stone, rather than to just look online. It's not just the quality of the stones, but what a certain stone might be of benefit for. I was thrilled with the stones I got from Delizt, she has a wonderful collection, but even knowing I was going to get great stones, and they are, until I could actually touch them, I didn't know how I would personally react. I'm very tactile. For example, the lepidolite I thought would be useful for sleep, turned out the fluorite was the one that was the one that I most resonated with and until I tried it, I didn't know that. Some people's inner guidance works better through touch when it comes to stones, and I'm one of those people. :) The purpose of this thread was to find out where stones and crystals books are really sourced from. If there is an old resource that most of the information comes from. So much varies. While everyone has to try a certain stone for themselves, just like with herbs, to see their reaction, I figure all the info out there on sites and books has to originally come from somewhere. Maybe books aren't that much help as stones resonate differently with different people, but I know some seem better known for some things than others, just wondering why.

stonesatiety

Gotcha. I understood all that. I've worked with so many people who were stumped over the inability to play with stones in person, I wanted to make sure with you and anybody else reading this. I'm a touchy-feelie person too, so I understand that. If something doesn't feel right to me, forget it! No offense intended.

greatdane

None taken, Stonesatiety!

Ditto, just wanted to say I'm really tactile and like energy and that's hard for me to do online, even if I am familiar with a certain stone. With Delizt's lovely offerings, had to do it just online, but I sure wasn't disappointed! Us touchie feelie folk like to actually be up close and personal with stuff as you know :). I do wonder then how a book about stones can really even be done sometimes, I mean who came up with and this stone is great for....I'm guessing just their personal experience or they read it from a site or book. But decades, centuries ago, would be interesting to learn who went...you know, I'm reallllly feeling my gallbladder take a turn for the better holding onto this....garnet, ruby, moldavite....:)))

danieljuk

thought this would interest you GD, nice blog post about where do the properties come from? http://cathydouglas.net/articles/where-do-crystal-properties-come-from/

also when choosing a stone, don't forget to check out the study groups and index on this forum, found it helpful to read discussion of the stones!

my first set of stones I chose online by colour, I just picked the ones that appealed to me and knew no properties! very interesting the ones I feel best when on me :)

greatdane

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for the link. It does always interest me about stones and their properties. Certain stones definitely affect me differently than others. And I know it isn't preconceived because often I expect NOTHING or something completely different than what I get! I have to handle a stone to really know how it will affect me, but Delizt's were so lovely, had to have some. You would love the rainbow fluorite cube, Daniel :). It's just magical.