PDA

View Full Version : A Suggestion for Very New Guests

Logiatrix
28-11-2003, 14:10
Firstly, I am aware that suggestions are always easy to MAKE, but not always so easy to make HAPPEN.
My apologies if the following suggestion is superfluous in regards to the structure of the already existing forum.
That being said...
I've been on a few live tarot chat sites lately, where the AT Forum comes up in conversation.
Most people are extremely impressed by our beloved hang-out.
However, one reaction that increasingly comes up is that people are just plain intimidated.
They are mainly overwhelmed with where to start, what to look at, and how to find stuff.
Some say the forum has too much to read through, and that those who post are too advanced for them.
I'd like them to see that there are all ages and experiences here, and that the threads are easy to read through, if you know where to start.
I understand that there is an FAQ to help with such matters, but when I was a newbie here, the forum was much smaller and the FAQ and other stuff was easier to find.
I'm thinking that perhaps a separate page could be available to the guest, with links to some of the more popular threads, offering a sample cross-section of what we discuss.
Clearly, the continual flow of new members demonstrates that plenty of people already know how to join and navigate the forum.
I just wanted to put in a vote for the "easily confused," as I am one of those myself.
:)

Solandia
02-12-2003, 21:55
Hi Tauni,

An introductory tour for newcomers would definitely help those who find the amount of information a bit overwhelming. Great suggestion... I'll see how I can implement it.

~ Solandia

Melvis
03-12-2003, 11:24
Wait...you mean there are other forums besides Aeclectic??!!! }) (Or is it fora? Forii? Oh, bother...)

I'm glad you mentioned this, Tauni. Sometimes I get so comfortable here that I forget what it's like when you first jump on board the colossal Aeclectic Tarot Forum Train!

Great suggestion!

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

ScarabFlight
14-03-2004, 03:12
Being a new poster myself, I would enjoy an area like this. I do a lot of reading. i don't do a lot of posting because there are a lot of people further along the path than I am and sometimes I don't feel like what I have to say would be very helpful. I guess it comes with the "newbie" territory.

We could also have a place to ask all the silly "newbie" questions. Although on second thought, doing the searches usually comes up with those answers. I guess a place to discuss being a "newbie" would be good. lol

Chronata
14-03-2004, 03:34
I just thought of something...I think related to this...perhaps not!

I don't even know if this is possible or viable..or wanted...

Anyway, I noticed that FAQ (frequently asked questions) threads exist about how to navigate through a website or forum...

But what about a FAQ on Tarot itself?

A section where very new seekers to the subject can go and see the most Frequently Asked Questions about tarot reading, or tarot cards...which would then link them to previous threads about the subject.

Just a weird little thought! :)

Now that Ithink of it...iI should do a search myself...someone else has probably already thought of this...and suggested it!

jlbvt
16-03-2004, 13:50
Maybe... a quick link at the top for the week's most popular threads in each section?

like:
This Week's Most Popular Threads... (this would be the link, and the following would be on the page that comes up...)

Tarot Decks > Sites that show the whole deck - LIST (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17948)

Using Tarot Cards > Using Court Cards to identify Natural Gifts, Talents and Resources (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8292)

Tarot Games & Fun > Answering a question with a question! (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20216)

etc...

Major Tom
16-03-2004, 17:24
Originally posted by Chronata
A section where very new seekers to the subject can go and see the most Frequently Asked Questions about tarot reading, or tarot cards...which would then link them to previous threads about the subject.

Have you looked at the top of the Using Tarot Cards board? Firemaiden put together some wonderful index threads. ;)

Chronata
17-03-2004, 13:55
Originally posted by Major Tom
Have you looked at the top of the Using Tarot Cards board? Firemaiden put together some wonderful index threads. ;)
Yep! Feeling foolish because I just now noticed it! Serves me right for only checking a couple of boards...and not ALL of them ...when I get the chance to come here!

Excellent job Firemaiden!!