Hold old is this one?

McFaire

Hi all --

Can anyone comment on how old this edition of Gypsy Witch might be? See pics.

c1908 Frederick J Drake & Co.

Thank you!

Attachments

• GW1.JPG
    GW1.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 180
  • GW2.JPG
    GW2.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 153

strings of life

The moderators need to move this to "Oracle Decks".

Answers to your question? Pretty old. Mine has the same box.

* grabs it out *

The instructions on mine say "Copyright 1903, by Frederick J Drake & Co." and the title card and the main box sleeve says "Standard Playing Card Co.". When I did research about the deck, I found many sites that said it came out in 1904.

Great card stock. The best.

My copy is one of my pride and joys when it comes to the wallet because the listing wasn't labeled correctly and I paid $9 for it.

McFaire

Oops, sorry about the incorrect forum.

After looking under 15X, I think the copyright does say 1903, not 1908. Looks like a very curly and closed numeral 3.

It's old -- definitely a great find at nine bucks! But from handing mine, I'm guessing it was manufactured at least a few decades after the copyright date, if not more.

I'm not an expert though. But I know we have some here on AT! (wink)

I don't have much experience with collecting so I hope to learn more here.

The crowned one

Should have the remnants of a tax stamp on it, that will help, and can we see the backs?

I have a couple of the very early ones.

This deck as never gone out of production. yours is pre 1930.

McFaire

Thank you. Here's a photo of the backs

Attachments

• GW5.jpg
    GW5.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 145

McFaire

There are some faint markings on the bottom which could have been a tax stamp. See photo.

The instructions show very little sign of aging other than some yellowing. They are printed on newsprint. The paper and the folds show virtually no sign of deterioration. See photo.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• GWbottom.jpg
    GWbottom.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 123
  • GWinstructions.jpg
    GWinstructions.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 120
  • GWback.jpg
    GWback.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 125

McFaire

Here are a couple of photos of a different edition of this deck, which I think maybe an earlier edition than the one in question above. May provide some additional clues. Same copyright.

Attachments

• GW3.jpg
    GW3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 131
  • GW4.JPG
    GW4.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 124

The crowned one

Did you find any remnants of a tax stamp?

Here is a deck I can date to 1919-24 or 1940-65 but nothing in between later or earlier. because of the tax stamp. The copy right is 1903 on the LWB, This deck certainly is not.

These are a bugger to date really.

Here is your box with a partial 1929-1940 stamp. So I would put yours safely into that range.

Top image is tax stamp of the deck you just posted ( mine)
second is your version :)

Attachments

• stamp.jpg
    stamp.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 156
  • cardbox_edited-1.jpg
    cardbox_edited-1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 135

McFaire

This is very interesting.

If you look closely at the maroon deck in your photo, the cover looks like a burlap texture with raised lettering, looks almost like fabric.

On mine, the maroon material has a stippled texture with embossed (indented) lettering. It looks like some kind of coated cardboard.

McFaire

Here's a better shot of the front. It must be a different edition. Probably post 1940.

There is no evidence of a tax stamp that went around the bottom of the box, as shown in your pic. The faint markings shown in the photo GWbottom.jpg may be the remains of a price sticker?

Attachments

• GWfront.jpg
    GWfront.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 122