Attraction & the 7th House

january

Hi All!

I was waxing astrological and philosophical lately and began to wonder why every long-term relationship (romantic) I have been in has been with a fire sign. I thought perhaps its because I have Sagg in my 7th house. My father, oddly enough, was a Sagg. Its keen to mention that my chart is weak in fire and am a Cap sun, Aqu. moon, Taurus rising.

Aspects aside, I am speaking totally elementally. Do we tend to gravitate towards one who possesses our lacking element? Is it the 7th house that defines what we are seeking long term, as opposed to the (perhaps) 5th house as short term?

Any ideas for this puzzled novice?

~ love, January

Minderwiz

The seventh house rules long term partnerships - one form of which is marriage. It rules the 'significant other'

The fifth rules romance and romantic associations - which tend to be relatively short term, unless they develop into a seventh House relationship.

Now the ruler of the seventh, Jupiter in the case of Sagittarius gives some indication of how you will approach partnership and how partner's will approach you - in your case this is likely to be on something of a grand scale but also with a strong element of self development - you develop through your experiences in partnerships.

The condition of Jupiter, by sign, House and aspect will also give an indication of how well or not you cope with relationships. Also any planets in the seventh will add to the description, especially if they are within 5 degrees of the Descendant.

All that being said, I have a chart for you which shows a Scorpio Descendant at 27 degrees 37 minutes. So check your chart data.

dadsnook2000

Just a postcript

The Descendant angle is where we "project" ourselves out toward others. While the 7th house is commonly associated with partnerships, as Minderwiz rightly noted, the personality projection issue cannot be overlooked. This is, essentially, the "bait" that you fish with. It's what you expect. Its often also what you get. But partners have a lot of other complexities that they individually can offer, and there are a lot of other doors into your chart. It may be that a combination of chart factors do indeed support a fire-sign projection, but that may not be the case -- it may be just one option for you.

The Moon identifies needs to be fulfilled or sought. Venus is also what attracts you. Saturn can get your attention, and Jupiter can offer you great things. The key may start with the Sun and what it most easily integrate for your own best interests and purpose.
Good luck in your personal search for self-knowing. Dave.

isthmus nekoi

january, from my experience..... an individual doesn't need to try to access the energy of a lacking element through other ppl. THey could try to do this by any means in their environment. I have a friend high in air and no earth... and he relishes his job as a picture framer where he gets to work w/concrete, practical wood all day.

Keslynn

Not exactly analytical but...

I never really thought the seventh house thing applied to me much. I'd never really been attracted to or dated a Gemini (my 7th house sign). In fact, the male Gems I know are decidedly bad matches for me. But darned if I didn't meet a wonderful man (my current boyfriend) who isn't a Gemini but has his Venus squarely in it. We're getting along very well so far and he's definitely what I'd consider a keeper.

The 7th house might have something to do with the Sag thing of yours, but I think the 7th might express itself differently for different people and at different life times (transits).

:) Kes (randomly rambling)

isthmus nekoi

Kes, check out if his Venus aspects your DC. In fact, anything touching the DC is pretty strong grounds for attraction I'd think (or repulsion too?)

Minderwiz

If you are looking for attraction I'd start somewhere else than the seventh - though this is important. Have a look at Sun and Moon positions by sign and house to start with, have a look at the Ascendants and if the partner's Sun or Moon aspects it or falls in the first (or the fifth or seventh).

The ruler of the seventh symbolises your partner in two ways, firstly it gives some information about the person you might settle down with (allowing for the factors mentioned above) but it also says something about your attitude to partners and long term partnerships - thus Gemini on the Descendant could well indicate many relationships, with a lot of communication between partners but possibly a tendance to get bored and look for a new relationship. Gemini is not particularly a settling down sign (or at least settling down early on :) )