PDA

View Full Version : Mugwort, Love it!

Mystic Zyl
05-12-2003, 08:30
Mugwort, anyone here use it? I use it for various reasons, but the best is for psychic ability.

I am not even a smoker, but I set a few dried leaves on fire and inhale the smoke to enhance my insight. I usually do this before I go do about 30 readings in one day, it helps me to stay focused.

zorya
05-12-2003, 09:32
mugwort is my favorite magical herb, bar none! you aren't likely to find me without a sprig of it tucked in my pocket. i grow it, and have huge bundles of it dried.

i use it to increase my psychic abilities by drinking it as a tea mixed with lemon balm, or just nibbling on it.

i sometimes use it to smudge with.

i hang it over the doors for protection.

i put a sprig under my pillow whenever i need to remember my dreams.

when i visit my outdoor altar, i leave some as an offering.

TemperanceAngel
05-12-2003, 14:21
Sounds fabulous, might try it myself at work tomorrow....;)
Thanks for the tip folks!
XTAX

Mystic Zyl
06-12-2003, 14:08
Hmmm drinking it? Think I'll go make some tea now! Thanks Zorya, guess you do not have a tree for an avatar for nothing.

TemperanceAngel
08-12-2003, 10:34
And I did try and had a great day.........XTAX

Mystic Zyl
09-12-2003, 02:26
Thanks I tried the mugwort in with raspberry tea and it was great.

13thFaeChylde
11-12-2003, 07:32
I have some Mugwort tincture....thanks for the reminder! I used to use it before rituals and such.

TemperanceAngel
11-12-2003, 10:18
From the 'Flower Essence Repertory.' Published by the Flower Essence Society.

Positive qualities: Balanced psychic and dream experiences, multi-dimensional consciousness.

Patterns of imbalance: Unable to harmonize psychic forces, tendency to hysteria or emotionality, overly active psychic life out of touch with the physical world.

Awareness Day-Dreaming and Sleep Feminine Hysteria Insight Meditation Pregnancy Receptivity Sensitivity Spiritual Experiences Toner

XTAX

Mystic Zyl
12-12-2003, 06:12
Laughing, Temperance Angel, feminine hysteria, is that pre menopausal?

TemperanceAngel
12-12-2003, 09:14
Originally posted by Mystic Zyl
Laughing, Temperance Angel, feminine hysteria, is that pre menopausal?
Well, actually, Mystic Zyl it is funny you asked that. One of the topics I study within my degree is Herbal Medicine.
Awhile back, Culpeper's period and up to the 1800's or so, you will find some herbs therapeutic applications are used for: Hysteria and what this means is PMT or PMS, however you want to say it.
Hysterical Woman....:laugh::laugh:
XTAX
P.S. The two words are separate from each other in the flower essence instance, edited to put this in.

Belladonna
12-12-2003, 22:53
I drink it at bedtime it I've had an upsetting day, or to induce prophetic dreams. I have a sachet of it that I breathe in deeply the aroma from before doing a reading, and I sprinkly the dried form into my caulron filled with water for scrying purposes.

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs states:

planet: venus
element: earth
deities: artemis, diana
powers: strength, psychic powers, protection, prophetic dreams, healing, astral projection

[among other things] ...the infusion is also used to wash crystal balls and magic mirrors, and mugwort leaves are placed around the base of the ball (or beneath it) to aid in psychic workings.

Milfoil
04-09-2007, 00:32
Just reviving this thread instead of creating a new one.

I have started using Mugwort lately for dream enhancement and recall. Has anyone ever used Mugwort root?

I'd love to hear about how you use this amazing herb and your experiences.

So far, every time I either sleep with mugwort (good job I have an understanding husband!) or consume it before bedtime, dreams are technicolour and sometimes more memorable.

wytchwood
04-09-2007, 09:10
Me too, I use mugwort for psychic enhancement. I've washed crystal balls in it, kept sprigs of it, drank tea of it, made incense with it, and made moon-blessed water with a few spoonfuls of the infusion to scry in. You've just reminded me, actually, it's been a while since I used it. I still have some, so I might dig it out, thanks!

Zoe xx

Wonderwoman
04-09-2007, 09:34
After reading this thread, I am now very interested in Mugwort. Do you find these at a metaphysical shop? does it go by any other name?

Milfoil
04-09-2007, 21:46
Its a pretty common weed. If you know what you are looking for (and its quite distinctive) then you can most likely collect your own though it is getting rather late in the season to be harvesting now. Mid Aug when the flowers are not quite open seems to be the best time.

This site give some good visual information:

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Arte_vul.html

Milfoil
04-09-2007, 22:03
A little more information that I came across by accident:

Taken from WordIQ Dictionary/Advanced Encyclopedia online:

Name Origin', "The city is named after the chornobyl' grass, or mugwort. The word itself is a combination of chornyi (чорний, black) and byllia (билля, grass blades or stalks), hence it literally means black grass or black stalks. ", '
Sometimes it is erroneously translated as wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), with consequent apocalyptic associations, probably originating from a New York Times article by Serge Schmemann, Chernobyl Fallout: Apocalyptic Tale, July 25, 1986. There, an unnamed "prominent Russian writer" was quoted as claming the Ukrainian word for wormwood was chernobyl.

Actually, the Ukrainian Чорнобиль (chornobyl) and its Russian equivalent Чернобыльник (chernobylnik) refer to the plant mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris). Wormwood is a different plant, Artemisia absinthium, Полин in Ukrainian and Полынь in Russian (both pronounced Polyn). "Polyn" has no English equivalent, but corresponds to the botanical genus Artemisia. Botanically, mugwort is "Common Polyn" (Ukr. Полин звичайний / Rus. Полынь Обыкновенная); while wormwood is "Bitter Polyn" (Ukr. Полин гіркий / Rus. Полынь горькая).

Chornobyl bears poetic connotations in folklore, for a number of reasons. Various species of Artemisia are common in steppes, and its strong smell is a often token of steppe. Also, chornobyl roots were used in folk medicine to heal neurotic conditions, but its overdose could lead to psychical distress, including memory loss.

I never knew that Chernobyl derived its name from 'black stalk' - the Mugwort plant.

the area of the Chernobyl disaster has become analogous to the Strugatsky brothers' 1972 novel, Roadside Picnic. Humans are not supposed to live within 19 miles of the disaster site, giving rise to a 1,400 square mile region formally referred to as the Zone of alienation, informally known as "The Zone", hence the analogy. The Zone, straddling the Ukraine-Belarus border, contains a ghost city, Prypiat, Ukraine and many ghost villages. It has unwittingly become a major nature reserve. Like in the novel, the Zone attracts some illegal scavenging. Some scientists investigating the area nicknamed themselves "Stalkers".

memries
04-09-2007, 23:56
Boy you learn something every day ! I did not know about Mugwort. Off to the store I go. I could look for it outside but would not be sure if I am getting the correct specimen also as you said it is a bit late now to harvest before the flowers.
I guess they would have the dried plant at the Native Reservation as well.

You inclusion about Chernobyl is very interesting Milfoil.

floracove
05-09-2007, 01:23
I've been interested in mugwort since I heard of it.
I've even tried looking for it. If I could see a piece in person, I don't think it would be so difficult to find.
Wish I had some seeds, I'd grow my own and not worry about traipsing around the creeks...
(if it weren't for the snakes I'd not worry so about traipsing around the creeks)
;)

wytchwood
05-09-2007, 08:08
After reading this thread, I am now very interested in Mugwort. Do you find these at a metaphysical shop? does it go by any other name?

You'd probably find it at a metaphysical shop that carries any kind of herbs, but not all do. A herbal supplier would have it for sure. It grows quite abundantly in England by hedges and verges, but it's possibly getting a bit late for it, the leaves should ideally be harvested in August.

Zoe xx