Shhh, don't tell anyone...

Asbestos Mango

...except your closest friends, family, anyone you think needs energetic grounding, but please don't publicize it.

I've made an accidental discovery. I had a reading from an energy healer, who recommended that I wear black agate for energetic grounding. I ordered a pendant and a black agate bead mala.

Today, I wandered into Family Dollar to buy some candles, and sitting on the shelf, I found a bag of black river rocks. I have never heard of them having any metaphysical qualities, but they had an earthy, grounding vibe to them so I bought them.

I found one that would be nice to lay on my solar plexus when I meditate- I've been very stressed and anxious lately and bleeding energy from my solar plexus, and, well, the energy just travelled on down to my sacral and root chakras, which is where I really need it.

Also, when I meditate, I end up with tightness in my left shoulder and neck muscles and what feels like swollen glands and sinus inflamation on my left side. At first I thought it was muscle strain from my very heavy yak bone mala, so I started using my much lighter jade mala, which didn't help. Just experimentally, I grabbed a palm-sized rock and just held it in my left hand, and I started feeling this incredible energy in my right brain and a sensation of heat in my left arm and shoulder, along with the swollen glands and sinus issues. Eventually it subsided somewhat, I switched to another rock, the left arm neck and shoulder heated up again and cooled down, and now the congestion and irritation seem to be gone.

These aren't "crystals", these are just some attractive rocks from the home decor aisle at Family Dollar, and I'm just amazed. I feel like I need to get the word out, but I don't want to see cheap river rock having a demand-driven price inflation because New Age types have discovered its healing properties.

celticnoodle

oooh, thank you for this, Asbestos Mango.
We just happen to have a Family Dollar, way out here in no man's land. :D Everyone was quite shocked to get it here, but delighted, too as it doesn't roll up its sidewalks at 6pm. It is even bigger then our grocery store too--AND has better hours! I just might mozey on in there tomorrow to see if our FD has any of these delights. :D

Oddity

Thanks Asbestos Mango!
Doesn't _everything_ in the universe have metaphysical qualities?

I actually prefer ordinary stones over crystals. I pick my own stones at the seaside or in the woods. :) They are "locally-grown and organic." ;)

Asbestos Mango

oddity, maybe you're just one of those people who isn't terribly well-grounded energetically, or maybe the "ordinary stones" you're picking up are in fact crystals, but they're more pebbly shaped and not all shiny because they haven't been tumbled. You probably have an intuitive knowledge of what you need and are lucky enough to live in an area where the local rock have a high percentage of the appropriate crystals in their content.

I have a couple of these river rocks I want to make necklaces out of, and one that I think would make a nice pendulum.

But these things are great. I'm not well grounded energetically, and these rocks really help.

delizt

I bought a bag of "black river rocks" at my local Pier One...they have them to put around the bases of candles and such....and they are VERY soothing!! Similarly some spas use plain-ish black stones for "stone massage" where the stones are warmed and place on the body.

All rocks, no matter from the simplest found in your back yard to the most precious of diamonds carry energy!!

In fact, some of my "most" energetically soothing stones have been the ones found at the beach:)

Fortuna

Would you be able to provide a picture? I think I am in great need of them...

Asbestos Mango

Fortuna, bit busy now, I'll see what I can do later when I have time. But really, you could probably find them at Evil Soulless Mart or a dollar store that carries decorative candle holder gift sets and those little mine Zen garden kits. They're basically just black rocks in a mesh bag.

Oddity

oddity, maybe you're just one of those people who isn't terribly well-grounded energetically, or maybe the "ordinary stones" you're picking up are in fact crystals, but they're more pebbly shaped and not all shiny because they haven't been tumbled. You probably have an intuitive knowledge of what you need and are lucky enough to live in an area where the local rock have a high percentage of the appropriate crystals in their content.

The rock where I live is mostly granite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite) which is volcanic, very very old, and contains a large percentage of quartz, aka rock crystal in its pure form. I'll tell you something: there's nothing more soothing than laying down on a large, sun-warmed slab of natural rock by the sea this time of the year and listen to the wind in the grass and the seagulls crying – the Ice Age has made the rock so smooth and comfortable to lie on and still the surface feels rough and almost sandy, very safe and stable, but the energy is powerful, soothing, deep and full of life. I love it, just love it. I relax so quickly I almost fall asleep. :)

Then you can find larger bits of quartz and feldspar and sometimes small garnets. They are sometimes surrounded by granite, but sometimes you can find them lying loose on the beach when the rock around them has worn away.

Fortuna

Fortuna, bit busy now, I'll see what I can do later when I have time. But really, you could probably find them at Evil Soulless Mart or a dollar store that carries decorative candle holder gift sets and those little mine Zen garden kits. They're basically just black rocks in a mesh bag.

Thanks, I will look for those.