Rune Cards Tony Linsell

lark

Does anyone own Rune Cards by Tony Linsell and Brian Partridge?
I have them on order. Fell in love with the art work. Any one use them? And what do you think? Thanks

edited to add www.tarotpassages.com/rune1.htm

Jewel-ry

I have just ordered this deck. Mistake or not??? Opinions please. Lark did you get yours. If so what do you think. How do you use them?

~

lark

Jewel-ry they are my favorite and stunning!
I like to match the card with my rune draw for the day.
I keep both my rune bag and rune card bag hanging together so they are within easy reach.
The cards are so rich in sybolism it helps you to remember the rune meanings and the rune itself is drawn into the picture.
The LWB that comes with the deck is very thick and packed with good info.
the art like I said is stunning black and white.

I have a few rune decks but this is by far the cream of the crop.
You will not be disappointed Jewel-ry...go for it!

darwinia

Jewel-ry said:
I have just ordered this deck. Mistake or not??? Opinions please.

Hi Jewel-ry, I have them too and the black and white artwork is stunning. I know B & W isn't as popular but I love such decks.

I decided based on the laughing girl on the Joy rune in this deck that that was my personal rune. When I made a bag for my personal runes that I made, I embroidered the Joy symbol on there.

So far I think that's all I've done with the deck other than pull it out for quiet time to admire the artwork and compare it to my other rune decks. The book is fabulous too, and doesn't add a lot of associative drivel and questionable historical "fact" like a certain published runic author (whom I won't name or the purists will eat me for lunch for having the audacity to think their favourite author is a crank.)

Also, these are Anglo Saxon runes and not Nordic and they have a few extra rune symbols in them, which is interesting when comparing the two systems.

I know you'll love them. Hey, maybe they like Renaissance poetry? <g>

Jewel-ry

Thanks you two!

I'm glad you both really like them.

I was drawn to them because of the black and white artwork which I too really like (there is a black and white Soprafino deck that I will treat myself to one day as well ;) ).

I do have a rune set by Ralph Blum but have never really been drawn to it but didn't want to give up on runes so felt the need to go for something completely different.

~ Darwinia - Penguin do a book on Renaissance Verse which I am on the lookout for so who knows???

darwinia

I also have the Witches Runes, which was a demo deck from my tarot shop and has holes punched in the corners because it used to be on a chain. I don't have the book for it, but I love the artwork.

Then I have Sylvia Gainsford's Rune Vision cards--I love her artwork so much and also have her two tarot decks. The book has a lot of mythology in it which I like. I was doing a draw with the Tarot of the Secret Forest--the King of Swords--and I had to find the Rune Vision card for the god Vidar--his legs and foot are in the same position as the King's and in the original black and white sketch on the back of the King card--it really does look like he's wearing an iron shoe. I find it fascinating when I find echoes of one deck with another.

One of the reasons I like Brian Partridge's artwork is that it looks like an old society, and yet humanizes the people--they aren't caricatures of warrior-like tribal people. With my other two bright rune decks, it provides a detailed, unusual comparison.

Oh I forgot to say, another exercise I have done with these is to lay out the three corresponding cards from the decks and then put my physical rune with the corresponding symbol on top. It makes rather a textured, layered meditative picture for the day.

poivre

I have these cards also. I wanted to study Runes and thought if I
had a deck that I like, this would help.

I just get lost with these cards, in a good way.
The black and white art in this deck is beautiful.
Now they are in a box, put away as one of my favourites.

Still can't read the runes, just the basic meanings!

Jewel-ry

Well, I can't read them either (YET!) but they are wonderful and I have been walking round the house now for two days with these in one hand and the Dreaming in Color deck in the other. I just don't know which to 'play' with first. I love both.

These are terrific. I have begun reading Umbrae's series on the Elder Futhark runes. There are some terrific posts there. Well worth a visit. I hope to re-instate some of them once I have a better feel for the cards. The artwork is great. I realise that I have a real thing for black and white line drawings!

~

BodhiSeed

Oh I'm REALLY wishing I hadn't looked at those pictures.... :)
They are BEAUTIFUL!
Comparing them with the more commonly used runes, are they the same except for the extra runes added?

Many Blessings,
Bodhran

Jewel-ry

I'm afraid I know nothing of the commonly known runes so am not qualified to make that judgement but I can list these for you if you want?