PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for New Rank Titles

Rusty Neon
16-12-2003, 12:26
The current titles automatically generated by the System based on number of posts are: Resident, Citizen, Elder, Sage.

My concern is with the third and four titles which misleadingly suggest expertise, or may sound pompous, to newcomers who may not realize that these titles are not chosen by the member but are automatically assigned by the System based on number of posts.

Personally, I'd be happy with just 2 ranks, instead of 4:

Resident (anyone who has less than 100 posts)
Citizen (anyone who has 100 or more posts)

Subscribers would, of course, be free to choose their own custom titles.

If there must be 4 ranks, then I would suggest the following new titles:

Bronze Member, Silver Member, Gold Member, Platinum Member

or

Resident, Citizen, Forum Regular, Senior Forum Regular

or

Visitor (or New Resident), Resident, Citizen, Forum Regular

I am also open to other suggestions, especially regarding third and four titles.

Thanks.

Rusty Neon
"Elder"

Tallarico
16-12-2003, 12:28
Page, Queen, King, Knight?

or something like?

Rusty Neon
16-12-2003, 12:35
Originally posted by Tallarico
Page, Queen, King, Knight?

Perhaps a bit too gender-specific.

Astraea
16-12-2003, 13:07
Rusty, I very much like your idea of having only two designations: Resident and Citizen.

Major Tom
16-12-2003, 19:10
Originally posted by Astraea
Rusty, I very much like your idea of having only two designations: Resident and Citizen.

I do too actually. :)

Perhaps raise the post count to 500 for Citizen. ;)

Diana
16-12-2003, 19:57
I think a lot of the older members are attached to these titles for sentimental reasons... they are part of Aeclectic History - they are part of the collective past of this place.

Of course, one can always change History - people do it all the time.

Sigh....

I'm not opposed to change. I've always been very fond of revolutions, for instance. But some traditions are nice. Like Christmas. And Aeclectic titles.

Majecot
17-12-2003, 03:07
I actually kinda like it the way it is... I can see where you would like to see some new titles tho..

Sorry Rusty, I am not real fond of the whole gold- bronze -silver member thing.. it sound so... erm... olympic..

A tarot theme would be cool Magican, Heirophant, ect.. (Fool ...lol)

More designations show some longevity, and that a member is active. I am infavor of that.

skytwig
17-12-2003, 03:25
It takes alot of humility to wear such titles, Neon......

You look good in "Elder", but if you like, you have the option to change it.... Just email a chosen Title to Solandia and you shall be transformed! :D

Demonesse
17-12-2003, 04:21
I like the titles the way they are.

I don't think it's elitist, and it suits Aeclectic's spiritual inclinations. ;) I like the Tarot theme suggestion, though, but not the others so far.

Diana
17-12-2003, 04:46
Originally posted by skytwig
Just email a chosen Title to Solandia and you shall be transformed! :D

This option is available to Subscribers only, skytwig.

skytwig
17-12-2003, 04:51
Originally posted by Diana
This option is available to Subscribers only, skytwig.

oops :D sorry..........

lunalafey
17-12-2003, 04:56
makes me think of the 'ranks' in my little town-
one will NOT and cannot call themselves a "local" unless they have lived here for 10 years....it's a sort of unspoken understanding- quite amusing.
I agree that the last two titles are a bit misleading-

what about.....
1.seekers: (0-100){we seem to have put the title to good use}
2. residents (100- 250)
3. citizens (250-500)
and
4. Locals (500 +)

change is good!

skytwig
17-12-2003, 05:41
Originally posted by lunalafey

what about.....
2. residents (100- 250)
3. citizens (250-500)
and
4. Locals (500 +)

change is good!

I think she's got it, I think she's got it!!!!!

Wonderful...... I vote for these..... :D

Maybe we should do a poll, Rusty........ :)

firemaiden
17-12-2003, 06:03
I like the titles the way they are. I don't see what's wrong with having different levels to make you feel "special" once you've reached a certain number of posts. It's fun to feel special, and with a few exceptions, people do indeed seem to get wiser as they hang around Aeclectic for a while. This is a learning environment, and people do learn -- a lot.

Anyhow very few people retain the title of "elder" or "sage" -- because if a person has made it to 500 posts, usually they realize they love this place enough to contribute to it, then get custom status.

firemaiden
17-12-2003, 06:07
I like the titles the way they are. I don't see what's wrong with having different levels to make you feel "special" once you've reached a certain number of posts. It's fun to feel special, and with a few exceptions, people do indeed seem to get wiser as they hang around Aeclectic for a while. This is a learning environment, and people do learn -- a lot.

Anyhow very few people retain the title of "elder" or "sage" -- because if a person has made it to 500 posts, usually they realize they love this place enough to contribute to it, then get custom status.

The search to flatten the hill reminds me of stage directors who want all the cast members to take one bow, instead of taking individual solo bows.

What is wrong with acknowledgement?

wavebreaker
17-12-2003, 07:34
I prefer the subscribers' self-chosen titles. They say so much more about a person than default titles based on something as arbitrary as number of posts. Anyone can post a large number of posts (look who's talking... :laugh: ); it's the amount of sensible posts that counts... ;)

I like just Resident and Citizen, plus the self-chosen titles for subscribers.

Majecot
17-12-2003, 07:38
what about.....
2. residents (100- 250)
3. citizens (250-500)
and
4. Locals (500 +)

change is good!

you know.. I think I am liking that!

Poll - excellant!

Rusty Neon
17-12-2003, 09:07
Seeker, Resident, Citizen

or

Seeker, Resident, Citizen, Local

sounds OK to me.

Le_Corsair
17-12-2003, 09:31
Visitor, Immigrant, Citizen, Local.

Visitor means someone who is only here occasionally.

Immigrant indicates someone who has decided to stay.

Citizen is someone who is familiar, but only sort of.

Local is someone everybody is familiar with, and is pointed out as part of the landscape. :joke:

Bob :THERM

TemperanceAngel
18-12-2003, 13:32
what about.....
2. residents (100- 250)
3. citizens (250-500)
and
4. Locals (500 +)

change is good!

I like these!!! :):):):)
XTAX

WolfyJames
18-12-2003, 14:27
Personaly, I prefer the titles we already have. I'm longing to the time I'll be Sage and Elder.

baba-prague
21-01-2004, 03:29
Well, have to say I don't much like "elder" and need to get around to changing it. But my guess is that it may be almost impossible to find a range of titles that everyone likes.

Personally I don't go for the "local" thing. It sounds a bit parochial somehow. But in the UK there is a saying "local yokel" (as in - local countryside type that is, er, a bit unsophisticated - to put it mildly) that is maybe offputting! I'd guess all the new suggestions will appeal to some and not to others?

Now I have to decide on what I want to be instead of "elder"...

By the way lunalafey, your little town isn't so bad. In the countryside in Northern Ireland one is still a "newcomer" for the first twenty-five years or so. Maybe that's the other reason I don't respond so well to the idea of "local" :-)

diane drizzy
29-03-2004, 04:04
Gee-

I sort of like the original levels and eventually look forward to an upgrade.

And I love the title Elder! It sounds so accomplished.

tmgrl2
29-03-2004, 04:58
I feel I'm too new for my 2 cents to count...but, personally, I like the current titles...I just don't feel like I am approaching "elder" just because I'm approaching 500 posts...I am in no way anything other than a beginner...so ..whatever is decided will work for me...Astraea...I can see, too, having just the two titles...anyone looking at even old posts, will see the current number of postings that person has...and the content of their postings is what determines how much "wisdom" or "knowledge" they may have...so perhaps...just resident and citizen...

just my thoughts...I'm along for the ride right now, gobbling up information...

terri

tmgrl2
29-03-2004, 05:01
Originally posted by firemaiden

I agree with this, too, firemaiden...I feel I will be around here for a long time....but I still am concerned that I am getting to 500 so fast...not because I want that, but because I'm here so much and learning so much...

terrri

tmgrl2
29-03-2004, 05:05
...did I "do" an oops?? Isn't Elder 500 posts?
I took a name when I reaced 250....that's probably what I will continue to do...never really thought about it until RustyN brought up the topic....

terri

wavebreaker
29-03-2004, 05:09
These are the current titles:

Resident = 0 to 99
Citizen = 100 to 499
Elder = 500 to 1999
Sage = 2000 and above

So yes, Elder is indeed 500 posts. ;)

Moongold
17-04-2004, 18:25
Given the discussion around Lawguy51's challlenges in getting to 1000 I've been thinking also that I'd like to move away from the post count.

I think it could be retained for people up to 500. If you get to 500 you've been around for a while or you have been intensely involved over a short period of time.

I also like the title of Seeker for people up to 500 posts. Then, the title of Citizen is good. Citizenship is really belonging to a community, with all its rights and responsibilities. Personalised avatars are part of this. Elder is another good name for Citizen

People who become subscribers could still retain the option of having their own descriptor.

The advantage of having the postcounts seems to be more one for Solandia if she wants some way of assessing the intensity of involvement in the forums of individual members. Number of post counts is not the most perfect measure o f wisdom or knowledge.

Astra
18-04-2004, 01:12
I rather like seeing the post counts, and knowing, generally, how much and how long people have been contributing to the forums, both at the low end (where I can make allowances for the first fine flush of forum participation) and the high end, where I can mutter a silent "omigawd!" And I like to watch me creeping up slowly towards the 500 mark; even though it's not a contest, there's something rather nice about feeling more and more "at home" here.

I'd vote to keep the current titles. Having been a member of a number of forums that used Silver, Gold, etc. it was rather nice to find a forum that didn't, even though I subscribed early and avoided worrying about whether I'd like want to use them or not.

Diana
18-04-2004, 02:25
If anyone touches our traditional Rank Titles, I will bite them.

They're part of Aeclectic, just like the purple colour is.

Rusty Neon
18-04-2004, 02:30
(delete)

September Pixie
18-04-2004, 02:31
I agree.. I like them just the way they are :)

Personaly, I prefer the titles we already have. I'm longing to the time I'll be Sage and Elder.

I feel pretty much the same way! :)

Rusty Neon
18-04-2004, 02:44
Originally posted by diane drizzy
And I love the title Elder! It sounds so accomplished.

That's precisely the problem with the Elder and Sage titles. As noted in my initial post to this thread, those titles suggest expertise and, besides, sound pompous.

Why should there be rank titles that suggest that a member is "accomplished" if the title is based solely on the criterion of number of posts?

As well, if the titles Elder and Sage are meant to give recognition to members who've been around a while, the member should have the right to decline the honour. By analogy, no one in Britain is obligated to accept a knighthood or peerage if they don't want it.

Rusty Neon
18-04-2004, 03:19
Originally posted by Astra
I rather like seeing the post counts, and knowing, generally, how much and how long people have been contributing to the forums, both at the low end (where I can make allowances for the first fine flush of forum participation) and the high end, where I can mutter a silent "omigawd!" And I like to watch me creeping up slowly towards the 500 mark; even though it's not a contest, there's something rather nice about feeling more and more "at home" here.

I agree that date registered and post count give useful information, and I'm in full favour of retaining such information. However, the post count shouldn't be the sole criterion to determine when a member is to become an Elder or a Sage.

September Pixie
18-04-2004, 03:43
Well see, I don't think as a forum we should respect one member more because they have "been here longer".. why should their take on something be any more important than mine? I just found this forum.. should I be penalized because I didn't find it a year ago? Of course not. I don't think I have seen anyone post anything like "omg I am at 500".. I think all the posts I have seen (and made) have been rather informative either to myself or to others.. I find this place perfect just the way it is.. I don't see a need for change.. I am more akin to agree with Diana.

Macavity
18-04-2004, 03:54
I don't mind them as they are... Elder does make me think a BIT of some religious thing? On the other hand "sage" mostly makes me think "...and onion" :laugh: But this latter is doubtless a local (yokel?) tendancy...

Macavity

P.S. I had to laugh... http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/yokel

firemaiden
18-04-2004, 04:00
Oh Macavity, that's priceless! "and onion?" - I'll never think of "sage" the same way again!

wavebreaker
18-04-2004, 04:17
Originally posted by Macavity
On the other hand "sage" mostly makes me think "...and onion" :laugh:That is a wonderful suggestion for a new title, Macavity! :D

Le_Corsair
18-04-2004, 04:53
Why not just member and subscriber? That would solve two problems: the titles problem and the subscriber identification problem.

If you must needs have three, how about decrepit old member for anyone with posts over 500? :D

Bob:THERM

September Pixie
18-04-2004, 05:43
how about just paying the member fee and getting whatever title you want? Would solve all problems & keep the board afloat :)

Tarotphelia
18-04-2004, 05:49
Perhaps just numbered levels , 1 - 4 or 5.

Impersonal , precise , no controversey.

And how about a posted list of subscribers somewhere to click to check if you are just dying to know for some reason or other.Like a big gooey thank you memorial page that will satisfy the largest of egos.

Astra
18-04-2004, 22:59
Originally posted by Rusty Neon
I agree that date registered and post count give useful information, and I'm in full favour of retaining such information. However, the post count shouldn't be the sole criterion to determine when a member is to become an Elder or a Sage.
Why not, for heaven's sake? The alternative is setting up for a really fine bit of political infighting, because you'd have to get individual opinions as to who's "worthy".

If you've taken a look at the Member lists by number of posts, the first 16 pages (out of 151!) contain all the members who've ever gotten over 100 posts. The first 6 contain all the members who've stuck around long enough to hit 500. I think it ends up being a pretty good criteria.

The title Elder or Sage doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the world, it has to do with the Aeclectic community, and if it makes you happier, think of it as Aeclectic Elder and Aeclectic Sage.

Diana
18-04-2004, 23:29
I think this whole thread shows that we all have a lot of time on our hands and know how to waste it beautifully.

They're just titles for god's sake. They're not meant to reflect a person's character!!!!!

Solandia gave them to us for fun!!! She gave this whole damn forum to us so we can play on it while more than 174 million children in the world today under the age of five suffer from malnutrition.

And if you don't like your title, do as September Pixie says: subscribe and you can receive a title that pleases you. If you don't like what you have, you have an option to change it.

Tarot proposes... you dispose.
Aeclectic proposes... you dispose.

It's a free world.

Lee
18-04-2004, 23:58
Originally posted by Diana
Solandia gave them to us for fun!!! She gave this whole damn forum to us so we can play on it while more than 174 million children in the world today under the age of five suffer from malnutrition. It seems to me that this is an easy shot, to criticize others' suggestions by implying that those suggestions aren't important because children are suffering from malnutrition.

This is just a conversation. It's a Suggestions forum, after all. Must we bring the conversation down to this level?

-- Lee

Diana
19-04-2004, 00:58
Hi Lee!

A bit of perspective never does any harm.

This is my fifth post in this thread, I think... which goes to show that I have taken this thread more seriously than many! I never reply to threads and suggestions that I think are not important, due to time constraints mostly.

But perhaps you didn't realise this as my other posts are further up in the thread and you may have missed them.

Lee
19-04-2004, 01:03
Nope, I've read them all! :D

Edited to add, just because someone doesn't post in a thread doesn't mean they're not paying very close attention to it.

-- Lee

tmgrl2
19-04-2004, 01:29
I have......no opinion....I am more than willing to go with the flow of change...or not....

terri

Solandia
19-04-2004, 13:14
The Resident / Citizen / Elder / Sage labels reflect only the number of posts a person has made, rather than the quality, length or value of those posts. I am in fact planning changes to this labelling system, and the comments made in this thread are being taken into consideration.

~ Solandia

tmgrl2
20-04-2004, 08:39
Go Solandia!