PDA

View Full Version : Birthstones

Red Emma
23-12-2003, 12:18
I need to know what the December birthstone is. Does anyone know where I can look it up?

SherryZoned
23-12-2003, 12:33
I did a google search..here are just a few of the links i found

http://www.gems4friends.com/birthstones.html#birth

http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/birthsto.htm

http://www.about-birthstones.com/

http://www.earthsky.com/Features/Articles/birthstones.html

http://www.jewelrycentral.com/BirthstonesChartInfo.html

http://allsands.com/Fashion/birthstonesgems_rxk_gn.htm

raeanne
23-12-2003, 12:49
Hi Red Emma,
I am a December born person. I have always been told that Topaz is my birth stone.Topaz is a nice blue colored stone. I like it very much!

SherryZoned
23-12-2003, 13:01
I am also a December person..I heard that there is a new birthstone for December. I think I heard tanzanite..I dont know. I have not done any research on it.

Kyrielle
24-12-2003, 04:16
Blue topaz is most commonly cited as the December birthstone, but there are also stones associated with the astrological signs, if you want to get more intricate. December would be Sagittarius or Capricorn.

-- Kyrielle

Red Emma
24-12-2003, 05:08
Thanks, guys.

Redwood, I appreciate your google help. I thought of a "net" search but couldn't think of how to phrase it. I seem to have the belief that one needs to look for "commercial" sites, kind of like women's clothing. Turned out the commercial part was orgnaizations with crystals and stones for sale. I should have known

According to one of the sites, blue topaz is the traditional stone, as was mentioned.

My son's new wife (a second marriage for both; they're in their early fifties) was born on Christmas day and has never had a real birthday cake all her own. He asked my husband and me to order a birthday cake for her, with her birthstone involved in the decoration. Needless to say that will be our dessert on Thursday.

Thanks for all your help.

Season's greetings to you all.

lunalafey
24-12-2003, 05:26
Turquiose is sometimes associated with Dec.
the Native Americans designate a clear quartz with the sign of Capricorn= snow goose...
there's more but I have to go dig up a book......

- today's tanzinite- I question it's naturalness. It came out of nowhere a few years ago and has flooded the market.....it has been said that Tanzania has limited the export of the stone...If this is the case, how come it was not around before in major quantities? and why has it boomed now if it's being limited?
{I have been attending gem shows off and on for the past 15 years- } ...and why all of a sudden does evry jewelry store have many pieces of it? all the stones of tanzinite I have seen reciently, have a very 'perfect' quality to them- much like created stones. I have seen 'raw', but polished tanzinite.....these new stones do not reflect the same color characteristics that 'old' tanzinite does-
a little off topic?.......but I think it's important to know if seeking a birthstone and if considering Tanzinite.

amyel
30-12-2003, 02:02
Yes, I have heard blue topaz and turquoise, too. Hadn't heard about tanzanite as a new alternative, but I hope so, as it is lovely, regardless of if it natural or not.

I have some sky blue topaz, Red Emma, which is beautiful. I'v only ever seen the lighter blues used for December, not the darker, almost sapphaire blue tones....maybe that's just the more common one. And lately, I have been wearing some turquoise beads I've had since I was 7 (!!!) which I recently restrung on some cord.

amyel
30-12-2003, 02:09
I often use my astrological stones instead of my month stone. Cappy's, which your new daughter in law is, has few, but my persoal fav is garnet, because Ilike the rich red it produces, rather then the pinker tones ruby often shows. I guess it depends if she is more a "blue" person or "red" person, or alternately, whether or not she is astrologically inclined.

Ruby7
30-12-2003, 04:47
Originally posted by lunalafey
Turquiose is sometimes associated with Dec.
the Native Americans designate a clear quartz with the sign of Capricorn= snow goose...
there's more but I have to go dig up a book......

- today's tanzinite- I question it's naturalness. It came out of nowhere a few years ago and has flooded the market.....it has been said that Tanzania has limited the export of the stone...If this is the case, how come it was not around before in major quantities? and why has it boomed now if it's being limited?
{I have been attending gem shows off and on for the past 15 years- } ...and why all of a sudden does evry jewelry store have many pieces of it? all the stones of tanzinite I have seen reciently, have a very 'perfect' quality to them- much like created stones. I have seen 'raw', but polished tanzinite.....these new stones do not reflect the same color characteristics that 'old' tanzinite does-
a little off topic?.......but I think it's important to know if seeking a birthstone and if considering Tanzinite.

Lunalafey, as always your intuition regarding stones is right on the mark. ALL tanzanite (zoisite) is treated (can't remember whether it is irradiated or heat treated would have to look it up, I think heat treated though) to produce that lovely bluish purple colour. Natural tanzanite is brown, dull green or brownishgreen.
Every jewellery store has it and it is now widely available because it is a plentiful stone and there is a huge demand for it, due to some very clever marketing.

It is a very soft stone, and I wouldn't recommend it for a ring. I was very disappointed when I learned that the colour is NEVER natural. So I am not a big fan of tanzanite.

People should know too that most blue topaz has been irradiated to produce that bright blue colour and is an incredibly inexpensive stone when bought at wholesale by jewellery store owners.

Most stones on the market have been treated in some way or another nowadays, but blue topaz is a pet peeve of mine.

Ruby7

Ruby7
30-12-2003, 04:52
Amyel, I posted my reply to Lunalafey without having read your posts. So I don't mean to be disrespectful towards your particular piece of blue topaz, hope you know that, Ruby7

Red Emma
30-12-2003, 06:06
This explains a topaz pendant, kind of clear but greyish brown, I bought sometime in the sixties or seventies. I usually like bright colors -- orange and purple are my favorites -- but this pendant is attractive, and I'm quite fond of it.

These postings re blue topaz had me kind of confused, and I wondered if perhaps my stone wasn't topaz after all.

Ruby7
30-12-2003, 15:17
Red Emma, there are different colours of topaz that develop naturally. The colours that are found are: colourless, yellow, orange, red-brown, light to dark blue, pink-red, red, violet, and light green. The most common colour found is yellow and the most valuable $-wise (due to rarity) is pink to reddish-orange.

Natural blue topaz does exist but almost all blue topaz that is sold today is produced by first irradiating and then heating natural colourless topaz.

Sounds like your topaz is probably coloured by nature :) Ruby7

amyel
04-01-2004, 09:44
Originally posted by Ruby7
Amyel, I posted my reply to Lunalafey without having read your posts. So I don't mean to be disrespectful towards your particular piece of blue topaz, hope you know that, Ruby7 No worries, Ruby7. I'm not sure I'd heard that about blue topaz, but I still like it. I still like tanzanite, too, but then, I've always been a sucker for color. :) My absolute fav's, though, are moonstone, opal & sunstone.....

Ruby7
04-01-2004, 10:11
Hi Amyel, sunstone is one of my favourites. Orange is one of my favourite colours, and I love stones that have iridescence so sunstone is a winner as far as I am concerned.

Ruby7

lunalafey
04-01-2004, 12:26
according to the chart I have a Sagittarius' stone is topaz, and a Capricorn is a Ruby, Garnet comes in for Aquarius....

for cabochons, december is turquoise.
Cut stone is a blue tourmaline....interesting......

cjtarot
05-01-2004, 03:50
Hi,

Leo here..thats August. Just wanted to say thanks for the links.

I am please to see that I have choices for my birthstone (hmm..if I tell hubby it's been changed to diamond - but that what the web site said-I could get anouther ring..lol). But in reality, the more I look into Sardonyx the more I am intruiged.

I think I'll keep my eyes open for a Sardonyx cameo.

Blessings and thanks again for the sites..

CJ

Ruby Red Slippers
05-01-2004, 04:00
So....RED EMMA.......

Tell us about the cake......Whatever did you come up with? Did it have a birthsone color icing, theme, or perhaps a ring baked inside....:D

RRS

Red Emma
05-01-2004, 06:07
Originally posted by Ruby Red Slippers
So....RED EMMA.......

Tell us about the cake......Whatever did you come up with? Did it have a birthsone color icing, theme, or perhaps a ring baked inside....:D

RRS

There's a splendiferous bakery in the neighborhood, so my husband ordered the deluxe birthday cake for her. It was white with a lemon filling; exceptionally good.

The clerk had said they'd incorporate a garnet in the decoration. It turned out to be more of a red diamond. However, Connie had never had a real birthday cake on her real birthday before. She was stunned, as we'd made it a big secret ahead of time, and really delighted. Cried a little, even. We were all touched. Needless to say there were lots of hugs all around.

Ruby Red Slippers
05-01-2004, 15:36
Red Emma:

Hooray for Connie! and Happy Belated Birthday from another "close to Christmas" birthday girl!

It was so special fo you to do this for her.......Just Great! Thanks for sharing!

RRS

Red Emma
06-01-2004, 06:10
The idea was her husband's (my #2 son). Over the years I've known of other Christmas birthday people and just assumed that the substitute birthday celebration most families have was just fine with them. Until I knew this lady better I had no idea how they really felt. Now I understand that it has to do with somehow feeling inadequate -- that they're not important enough to have their real day marked.

I know it's not logical to feel that way, but when do feelings ever care about logic?

Moonbow
22-01-2004, 05:40
Ok, I admit to reading all these posts quickly, but I have always thought my birthstone was Turquoise, and I have never heard it being anything else! I am in shock! Is it considered different depending on where you come from? I mean, here in Uk I have never seen it as anything else for December.

Just my tuppence worth - (my new phrase!)

Moonbow*