Stone settings in jewelry: silver vs. gold

Kyrielle

A while ago I posted on this subject, tried to find my source, and couldn't find it again for the life of me. Now I have, and here it is:

"The choice of silver for the metal is particularly appropriate because this is the metal of the moon, which will boost your receptiveness to the influence of the stone you are wearing. Similar constructions made from gold and other metals can be more difficult to come by and may 'muffle' a stone's energy, rather than amplifying its virtues."

Ken and Joules Taylor, "Crystals," page 79.

I have rarely seen stones in metaphysical shops set in anything other than silver, but I don't know if this is part of the reason, or if it's just that silver is more affordable than other jewelry-quality metals and looks good with any color of stone.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this theory?

-- Kyrielle

Tallarico

Kyrielle,

I agree with you. I haven't read much on the subject, but I've only seen them in silver and they look best in silver. When I go to a regular jewelry shop, and some stones are in gold it just doesn't look right. Even diamonds look best in silver (actually platinum, that is ;) )

Jimilyn

I almost always see them set in silver as well. However, the peridot pendant I have is wrapped in gold wire...and it is positively stunning!

I don't know how it would have looked in silver, but when you put that beautiful green stone wrapped in gold up against a black sweater or blouse....WOW! It pops out at you.

Jimilyn

Ruby7

I make jewellery and silver costs approximately $5.00 (U.S.) an ounce whereas pure gold (24kt) is approximately $465.00(U.S.) an ounce. So not being rich I mostly use silver. But keep in mind that it is sterling silver most jewellery is made from, this has 92.5% pure silver mixed with 7.5% copper, pure silver being too soft to work with.

Ruby7

skytwig

Wow, Ruby, cost is certainly a factor, isn't it?

As a healer who uses light, I lean toward metals and their lights for different reasons. Silver is an intuitive light... we use it for determining what colors to use in a healing.... it is very much a High Priestess/Moon 'color'.

Gold is also a fabulous light to use.... it maginifies the colors in a healing... it magnifies the healing itself.... I also use it to cleanse, for it has a purifying quality to it. Gold is Abundance to me. It is a royal metal.... calling each of us to our Stance of Dignity and Honor.

I have always worn silver, as I am a double Cancer (a moonchild). Gold always looked too harsh to me.... but since diving into the healing arts, gold has become precious to me..... I have crystals with gold infused within them; I use crystals in healing work that have been dipped in liquid gold.... the energy from these stones is dynamic.... they have become my favorite healing stones.... who would have thought!!

So, as I see it, both are excellent for accompanying or cradling your gemstones.... I don't agree with the Taylors, by the way... primarily from my experience... I never find gold to be muffling... it is a magnifier.

Ruby7

I agree with Skytwig in the sense that I like both silver and gold for different reasons. Each particular stone cries out for what suits it best.

As metal to work with, gold is most definitely the best. I started my jewellery training with silver, and when I moved to gold it was amazing. Silver is a better conductor of heat and it is more difficult to solder large items and to work on small sections.

Gold is wonderful. when I size a gold ring, I hold , the ring in one hand and my solder torch in the other, no tweezers involved, because with a hot enough flame a gold ring can be soldered quickly enough. As soon as the solder melts, I dip the shank in a water dish, the stone is completely protected this way having been held between my fingers the whole time. This does take a bit of practice to get the timing right, the flame the right temperature, steady the hand since it is a little nervewracking to do at first.

I definitely don't see gold as muffling either.

I feel that most of these "properties" we are associating with metals, stones, are very personal, since they are mostly a perception, something that we project onto the metal or gem in question.

Ruby7