PDA

View Full Version : How to use essential oil?

joya250
27-12-2003, 08:17
okay, this may be a silly question (and I didn't know what forum to post it in...)

.... but how do you use essential oil? I got a Sage oil for xmas. The bottle says avoid contact with eyes, skin or open flame. The eyes things is kinda self-explanatory... but if you're not supposed to wear it, or burn it... then what the heck do you do with it???

thanks in advance, joya

Diana
27-12-2003, 08:30
joya: It is probably the concentrate, and too strong to use without being diluted.

This website is quite useful: http://www.about-essential-oils.com/index.php

I hope that someone well versed in essential oils on the forum will come forward to help you. I wouldn't use this sage oil without good advice from someone.

cjtarot
27-12-2003, 13:25
Hi,

I make bath salts and essential oils to my perfumes..

BUT, I got all my info from a great book by Scott Cunningham - The complete book of Incense Oils and Brews. I also have 500 Formulas for aromatherapy by Carol and David Schiller

I would suggest Research the topic via books. I love reference books..They are wonderful.

Blessings and if you hear of any other wonderful books, let me know.

Cj

Ruby7
27-12-2003, 13:30
I don't know what sage essential oil can be used for, but I do use other essential oils. Like Diana mentioned they are too concentrated to be used as is, and that explains the warnings.

I mix my essential oils with almond oil, or coconut oil for skin application. I also use my essential oils in a diffuser/burner. This has a candle underneath a little bowl which i fill with water and a few drops of essential oil and as the water gets close to boiling the scent of the oil permeates the room. It is amazing how little essential oil it takes (4-7 drops) .

I would recommend that you get a book on essential oils or look whichever one you want to use, like sage up online, because essential oils are potent and can be used medicinally, so it is wise to know what effects sage can have on the body.

Ruby7

Simone
27-12-2003, 17:59
Hi, yoja250,

I have looked up about sage oils in my book (unfortunately in German, would you like the references all the same?).

They do mention the Salvia sclarea, which has been used by the Celts to access their spiritual forces (ritual trances) and which can be used in a vitalising, stimulating, inspiring and even eroticising way.

Medicinally, you'll use this oil for avoiding colds, for coughs and asthma, headaches, menstrual problems, etc (list not complete).

They however warn of the Salvia officinalis oils which do have, by and large, the same qualities but contain a large amount (45%!) of the poison Thujon (also present in this awful French beverage that has been forbidden for a long time... I've forgotten its name) which can, if not used correctly, have abortive effects.

Light and love
Simone

Moonbow
27-12-2003, 19:29
Hi Joya250

If this is the first essential oil that you have then it probably is not the best as a first! This oil does have cautions attached to it for use. Do not use during pregnancy, Do not use on young children, do not use on anyone suffering from epilepsy. In fact before you use any oils - get a good book.

Essential oils need to be mixed with a base oil for massage and should never be used neat or ingested. Alot of aromatherapists use Clary Sage rather than sage because of the many 'side effects' and 'other effects' it can produce. I am not an expert but I have been using aromathereapy oils for about 10 yrs - mainly in massage or oil burners (for colds etc) this is one that I have never had in my collection because there are better alternatives.

Moonbow*

Moonbow
27-12-2003, 19:33
Originally posted by Simone
They however warn of the Salvia officinalis oils which do have, by and large, the same qualities but contain a large amount (45%!) of the poison Thujon (also present in this awful French beverage that has been forbidden for a long time... I've forgotten its name) which can, if not used correctly, have abortive effects.

Could this be Absinth?

Moonbow*

Simone
27-12-2003, 21:39
Yep, Absinth - thanks! I was wrecking my brain to find the word and couldn't....

Light and love
Simone

Ruby7
27-12-2003, 23:37
Hi Joya, I checked in one of my essential oil books

("The Fragrant Pharmacy" by Valerie Ann Worwood) and she mentions a basic care kit that she recommends to start with:
lavender, tea tree, peppermint, chamomile, eucalyptus, geranium,rosemary, thyme, lemon and clove. Of those lavender is the one that I have used the most.

Ruby7

Diana
27-12-2003, 23:42
Originally posted by Ruby7
peppermint

Peppermint is marvellous for headaches.

Ruby7
27-12-2003, 23:50
Diana, yes peppermint is great for headaches. I have some in a little bottle mixed with almond oil, the bottle has a roll top, so when I have a headache I massage some into my temples and the effect is amazing.

Sounds like you have tried this also. It's nice to find an alternative to popping a pill isn't it? Ruby7

Bluemanticore
28-12-2003, 00:07
Moonbow, you wouldn't happen to know the reason sage oil should not be used by epileptics, would you? What exactly is the problem it would cause? I have a personal curiosity here. :) Thanks.

Blessed be,
BlueManticore

Moonbow
28-12-2003, 00:14
Blue

Just gonna get my bible... back in a mo...

Moonbow*

Moonbow
28-12-2003, 00:28
I have found this to be the best book for aromatherapy (just my opinion)

It's called Aromatherapy A-Z (sounds nice and easy doesn't it?)
by Patricia Davis. She says the following:

"In spite of its undoubted value in the form of the fresh or dried plant, when we come to consider essential oil, a great deal of caution is needed. It contains a high proportion of thujone (as mentioned by Simone) which can provoke epileptic fits or convulsions and in larger amounts is toxic to the central nervous system and capable of inducing paralysis."

It seems that this is one of the oils that its best left to the professional/fully trained aromatherapists. Clary sage contains only a very small proportion of thujone, and is therefore preferred.

Hope this helps, as I said I only dabble but my kit of oils has now settled down to Lavender (love it), Tea tree (invaluable for colds/flu) Camomile, Rosemary, Lemon (I only use for burners), Sandlewood, Eucalyptus and Geranium.

Best to get a good book and go from there IMO.

Moonbow*

Bluemanticore
28-12-2003, 01:03
Moonbow, very interesting, thanks for the info. :)

P.S. I was just checking out the 'Net and came across 2 sites that may be of some good to all. They contain info on health conditions and the essential oils that should NOT be used if you have them. A bit of safety info, too. Blessed be all.

http://www.serene-aromatherapy.de/contraindications.html
http://www.essentialoils.co.za/safety.htm

joya250
31-12-2003, 12:53
hey, just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. I hadn't been back to check on this thread since I posted.....

joya

Kyrielle
31-12-2003, 13:10
Books by Julia Lawless are helpful (she has several), and also Aromatherapy A-Z by Patricia Davis.

My favorite is lavender, peppermint, and grapefruit, all mixed together.

-- Kyrielle

scentsability
01-01-2004, 11:40
Hi!

I thought perhaps I could lend a hand here as this is my field as a Certified Aromatherapist.

Sage oil is lovely and from a metaphysical perspective it is used alot for cleansing things, energetically speaking.

You can use it in a diffuser either a tea light one with the little bowl above the candle (fill the little bowl with water and add a few drops of Sage to it. Make sure it doesn't run out of water or it'll crack the diffuser) or with a nebulizer (which breaks the essential oils down in to micro particles and disperses them into the air).

Everyone else is absolutely right about needing to know the Latin name of the sage if you are planning to use it on the skin, well diluted of course! Depending on the sage it is, don't use it for more than 14 days topically.

I hope this helps.

Jen

Jimilyn
01-01-2004, 13:51
I have books by Valerie Ann Worwood and the one mentioned by Patricia Davis. Both of these authors will have excellent information about oils and how to use them.

I have quite a few books on aromatherapy...some are just the typical ones that are not written by the big named "gurus" of aromatherapy, but I have a lot that are.

I've done a bit with EOs, but I'm not a certified aromatherapist like scentsability (Jen). Maybe I will be one day. :o)

Jimilyn

Nevada
01-01-2004, 15:56
I like a couple of drops of ylang ylang in the bath. This is very soothing, and can put me in a meditative state.

Nevada

lark
02-01-2004, 02:30
For Christmas I got a Mist of Dreams cool mist humidifier. It has a beautiful blue bowl that stands on a black bowl stand. You pour water into the bowl and it makes a gentle mist, like the look of dry ice.
On the box it says you can use it as a sent diffuser and put essential oils in it.
I would like to take it to work with me when I do readings.
The affect is very soothing. Not to mention that it would improve the air quality in the room.
My question is, any suggestions as to a good oil I might use in it?
Something that wouldn't be too over powering?
Any special oils any of you use for doing readings?

Right now I have: A little starter set that was given to me.
Orange/Ginger
Lavender/Vanilla
Ylang-Ylang/Myrrh
Eucalyptus/Spearmint

I like the Ylang/ Ylang /Myrrh combo, but I'm not crazy about the rest.

scentsability
02-01-2004, 03:42
I totally agree with you Jimilyn & Moonbow about Patricia Davis and Valerie Worwood, they are some of my favorite authors!

Some of the oils I use for meditation, grounding and centering are things like

Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
Vetiver (Zizanoides vetiveria)
Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin)
Rose Otto (Rosa damascena)

I feel that any oil can put you into that state of mind so it is really about finding what works for you. Sense of smell is such a very personal thing that everyone is quite different. Also the oils are very different from supplier to supplier, season to season, growing region to growing region. You see no two batches of essential oils are identical mainly because the chemical make up is affected by weather, climate, soil conditions, location, etc.

So my suggestion is to find a few reputable suppliers and ask for samples. Compare the samples of the same oils that you have from each supplier and select the one that feels right to you. Certain oils simply feel better than others for this type of work and you just need to follow your heart.

HTH,

Jen

Moonbow
02-01-2004, 03:49
Hi Lark

What a lovely present, I have seen these 'mist makers' and they are quite facinating.

As for the oils, I think the most inoffensive to most people and is definately calming is Lavender but I have never seen them in a mixture like you have. I personally don't like Vanilla scent. Ylang Ylang is lovely but if its the pure essential oil it can be very overpowering which can give some people headaches. If you want to use the mixes you have then maybe you should go with what you like.

Another favourite of mine is Geranium. Maybe you will have to try a few before you find the right one for you.

Moonbow*

lark
02-01-2004, 04:00
Im not crazy about the mix idea either, they were a gift.
But my fav rock and mineral store has a wonderful selection so I can get most anything.
Thank you both for the suggestions
I'll get sniffing! :)

Diana
02-01-2004, 04:40
Originally posted by scentsability
You can use it in a diffuser (..........................) or with a nebulizer (which breaks the essential oils down in to micro particles and disperses them into the air).

Jen, firstly welcome to Aeclectic :) and secondly, I have a question. Is there an advantage in using a nebuliser over a diffuser? or vice-versa?

scentsability
02-01-2004, 05:24
Hello Diana,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! :*

When you are using the essential oils (EO) for environmental fragrancing, the answer to this question is no there isn't really a big difference or a preference of diffuser over nebulizer.

When you are using the EO for therapeutic reasons (i.e. congestion, disinfecting sick rooms, depression, etc.) then there is definitely a preference and that is to use a nebulizer. The reason being when you use a tea light diffuser or any diffuser which employs heat as a means to evaporate the EO, it changes the chemical make up of the oil, which in turn alters the therapeutic qualities of that EO. Ideally you use the nebulizer because there is no chemical change that takes place which maintains the therapeutic properties. Nebulizers just take the EO and breaks it into micro particles which are then pumped into the air as a very fine mist.

There are drawbacks to both. Nebulizers are expensive, the glass apparatus is very hard to clean (I use Sweet Orange oil Citrus sinensis) and there are EO's (i.e. Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin, etc.) that are too thick and resinous to be used in the nebulizer without clogging things up. The tea light diffusers are high maintenance because you have to constantly watch both the open flame and the water level in the bowl (if it runs dry it'll crack the bowl).

Whew! See I could go on all day about aromatherapy.

Moonbow
02-01-2004, 05:33
Scentsability

Thankyou for the information above. I have been very successful using burners with oils in for disinfecting rooms or while people are sick so that infections don't spread. They still seem to work this way. Obviously taking into account the safety of the flame etc. Also in the bath, (or using a burner in the bathroom while bathing - depending on the oil) where the vapours are excellent for clearing, say, a chesty cough.

Moonbow*

scentsability
02-01-2004, 07:16
Hi Moonbow!

I am sorry if in my earlier post it sounded like I thought that only nebulizers worked in that situation. I agree with you that the tea light version still helps with all of those things and I believe that some EO's are better than no EO's so however you can use'em that will help. For me, I prefer a really low hassle, non attention demanding method so a nebulizer loaded up with EO's of choice on a timer plug in the wall is my favorite way of doing it. I still use tea light diffusers for lots of things (had them out in full force at Christmas with a lovely welcoming anti septic blend in them) and I think they are great because everyone can use them. Adds that extra bit of coziness to a room I think with the flicker of the flame. I also really love room sprays for sick rooms and such. They are quick and easy and don't require any hardware so to speak.

I like to fill the sink in the bathroom with hot water and put the EO's in there with the door closed and then get in the tub. Just because I am a little forgetful (Hmmm not enough Rosemary in my world I guess!) and would rather not have to watch the candle/water level.

You know it never occurred to me that there would be aromatherapy talks in here when I first came across the AT, what a wonderful surprise!

Diana
02-01-2004, 07:40
Originally posted by scentsability
You know it never occurred to me that there would be aromatherapy talks in here when I first came across the AT, what a wonderful surprise!

Oh we talk about everything here! And if you decide to become a subscriber, we even have crazy parties in the Chat forum - and we have some extremely interesting talks about Spirituality as well in the Spirituality section.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with us. :)

scorpio
03-01-2004, 03:02
i mostly use the aromatherapy rings made of brass or ceramic for your lightbulbs in your lamp they are easy because as previously mentioned i constantly let my diffuser run dry and worry about paying attention to it, but the rings work surpisingly well and are usually just a couple of bucks. i have an aromaland angelblend formula with grapefruit, lime, lemon, basil, lavendar and cedarwood so it is clearing and uplifting AND smells good in one formula.