How to use essential oil?

joya250

okay, this may be a silly question (and I didn't know what forum to post it in...)

.... but how do you use essential oil? I got a Sage oil for xmas. The bottle says avoid contact with eyes, skin or open flame. The eyes things is kinda self-explanatory... but if you're not supposed to wear it, or burn it... then what the heck do you do with it???

thanks in advance, joya

Diana

joya: It is probably the concentrate, and too strong to use without being diluted.

This website is quite useful: http://www.about-essential-oils.com/index.php

I hope that someone well versed in essential oils on the forum will come forward to help you. I wouldn't use this sage oil without good advice from someone.

cjtarot

Had a little help from...

Hi,

I make bath salts and essential oils to my perfumes..

BUT, I got all my info from a great book by Scott Cunningham - The complete book of Incense Oils and Brews. I also have 500 Formulas for aromatherapy by Carol and David Schiller

I would suggest Research the topic via books. I love reference books..They are wonderful.

Blessings and if you hear of any other wonderful books, let me know.

Cj

Ruby7

I don't know what sage essential oil can be used for, but I do use other essential oils. Like Diana mentioned they are too concentrated to be used as is, and that explains the warnings.

I mix my essential oils with almond oil, or coconut oil for skin application. I also use my essential oils in a diffuser/burner. This has a candle underneath a little bowl which i fill with water and a few drops of essential oil and as the water gets close to boiling the scent of the oil permeates the room. It is amazing how little essential oil it takes (4-7 drops) .

I would recommend that you get a book on essential oils or look whichever one you want to use, like sage up online, because essential oils are potent and can be used medicinally, so it is wise to know what effects sage can have on the body.

Ruby7

Simone

Do you have the latin name of your Sage?

Hi, yoja250,

I have looked up about sage oils in my book (unfortunately in German, would you like the references all the same?).

They do mention the Salvia sclarea, which has been used by the Celts to access their spiritual forces (ritual trances) and which can be used in a vitalising, stimulating, inspiring and even eroticising way.

Medicinally, you'll use this oil for avoiding colds, for coughs and asthma, headaches, menstrual problems, etc (list not complete).

They however warn of the Salvia officinalis oils which do have, by and large, the same qualities but contain a large amount (45%!) of the poison Thujon (also present in this awful French beverage that has been forbidden for a long time... I've forgotten its name) which can, if not used correctly, have abortive effects.

Light and love
Simone

Moonbow

Hi Joya250

If this is the first essential oil that you have then it probably is not the best as a first! This oil does have cautions attached to it for use. Do not use during pregnancy, Do not use on young children, do not use on anyone suffering from epilepsy. In fact before you use any oils - get a good book.

Essential oils need to be mixed with a base oil for massage and should never be used neat or ingested. Alot of aromatherapists use Clary Sage rather than sage because of the many 'side effects' and 'other effects' it can produce. I am not an expert but I have been using aromathereapy oils for about 10 yrs - mainly in massage or oil burners (for colds etc) this is one that I have never had in my collection because there are better alternatives.

Moonbow*

Moonbow

Re: Do you have the latin name of your Sage?

Simone said:
They however warn of the Salvia officinalis oils which do have, by and large, the same qualities but contain a large amount (45%!) of the poison Thujon (also present in this awful French beverage that has been forbidden for a long time... I've forgotten its name) which can, if not used correctly, have abortive effects.

Could this be Absinth?

Moonbow*

Simone

Yep, Absinth - thanks! I was wrecking my brain to find the word and couldn't....

Light and love
Simone

Ruby7

Hi Joya, I checked in one of my essential oil books

("The Fragrant Pharmacy" by Valerie Ann Worwood) and she mentions a basic care kit that she recommends to start with:
lavender, tea tree, peppermint, chamomile, eucalyptus, geranium,rosemary, thyme, lemon and clove. Of those lavender is the one that I have used the most.

Ruby7