Question about the empty side of my chart

laurence

Well, in my birth chart,(12 october 1980 00:10 AM in Paris, France) everything is concentrated under the center between house 1 and 5, there is just Chiron in taurus in house 10.Nothing at all in house 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12.

I think It's kind of weird and not very common but I have no competence in astrology.

Does anybody know if there is a specific meaning to It?
There is absolutely nothing going on in 6 houses in the right side of the chart.

I would apreciate your insight about It.

Many thanks!!

Minderwiz

Well, in my birth chart,(12 october 1980 00:10 AM in Paris, France) everything is concentrated under the center between house 1 and 5, there is just Chiron in taurus in house 10.Nothing at all in house 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12.

I think It's kind of weird and not very common but I have no competence in astrology.

There is absolutely nothing going on in 6 houses in the right side of the chart.

There are really two related issues here, the first being the number of empty houses (and indeed the issue of empty houses), the second being the 'shape' of the chart - which many current Astrologers would describe as 'bucket shaped' - Chiron being the 'handle' of the 'bucket'.

Firstly, I'll mention empty houses, as that's something that is often asked about, though I suspect in this case you're more interested in the second issue of 'shape', which I'll go on to comment on.

Unless you throw in Sun, Moon, the seven currently known planets, various dwarf planets, the asteroids and other astronomically recognised bodies, you are unlikely to get something in every house. Even if you throw in the kitchen sink, so to speak, you will still find charts with one or two houses empty. Some beginners take that to mean that nothing will happen related to those houses - in this case you won't get born (nothing in the first), get married (nothing in the seventh), have a job (nothing in the tenth), travel abroad (nothing in the ninth) get ill (nothing in the sixth) or have any friends (nothing in the eleventh). Put like that you can see that the idea is simply 'silly'. In traditional Astrology, empty houses are still active through their sign rulers - so in your case you have Leo on the cusp of your first house, so your life is signified by the Sun and it's condition in your chart. Your career is signified by Mars, ruler of your Aries MC, and so on. Where you do have planets in a house, they will contribute, sometimes possibly make the main contributions to that area of life. So you can still 'read' for every area of life, using the chart that you have.

There is a fairly common current theory that the shape of your chart can give more information about you, on top of that gleaned from planet and house placements and the aspects (or lack of them) between the planets, and indeed other bodies, such as Chiron, that you use. Whilst that is not something that I personally make much use of (if any) I can give you a brief summary, which others might want to add to.

The bucket pattern is actually reasonably common, though it does not have to lie in the specific houses that yours does. - it can be upside down, or on it's side (either way). The psychological view is that the main mass of planets (houses 2-5 - i,e, Venus to Neptune) form a highly energised group, which tends to release it's energy through the sole lone planet (or occasionally a conjunction of two). So the energy of those planets will release themselves through Chiron in your tenth house.

I could at this point give you an explanation along the lines of Chiron being the wounded healer, you use your occupation to channel the 'wounds' that you have in this life (or for some, previous lives). Obvious possible careers would be in charity, aid relief, health care. I could say that but I would not believe it. I don't use Chiron and it's not a planet that is universally used, even by modern Astrologers.

Of course that would still leave the concentration of planets in the bottom half of your chart and this would form another such pattern called a 'bowl'. This is a less powerful pattern, though it's adherents see it as indicating a 'void' - the 'empty' part of the chart and how the native tends to try and fill it through their actions elsewhere. Again it's not something that I personally use, as you don't have any 'void' in the traditional approach - each area of your life is represented, some may be more stressed and indeed more successful due to the condition of their ruler or their 'tenants' but they still are all there.

zhan.thay

I would apreciate your insight about It.

Many thanks!!

Hi Laurence, as minderwiz has said, the shape of your chart (if Chiron is included) is indeed a Bucket, or Funnel, shape. The energies represented by the planets in the lower houses of your chart may be more personal or subjective to you while the single planet, Chiron, in the upper hemisphere represents a point of release or outflow of those energies into the wider world. Astrologers like Marc Edmund Jones, Dane Rudhyar and Michael Meyer have described these shapes, roughly 10 of them, and there are many websites also where you could find more information. Your chart is unique but not necessarily weird or even that uncommon. Similar charts may show up at times when planetary alignments are getting some media attention.

Another consideration, for looking at the influence of planets in houses and signs they are related to, is that you can examine each chart element in respect of which house and sign its oppositions, squares, trines and sextiles would lie in, that is, the points that are at 180 degrees, 90 degrees, 120 degrees and 60 degrees from a planet. These are the most basic major aspects - there are many more, if you want to go there. Geometrically, you are looking for complete squares, triangles and hexagons/6-pointed stars. In terms of meaning, you are looking at signs which have a similar dynamic quality (oppositions & squares) and signs which have a generally harmonious compatibility (trines and sextiles). The houses that these points fall in then take on significance and indicate where the energy of the planet is manifesting at times, or where you could actively seek to use its energy, working to balance, or round out, your being.

Looking at your chart: I would start with the opposition that Chiron makes to your Mercury, Moon, Uranus, Mars (conjunction) which is square to the North Node. This is already making a triangle shape called a T-square which brings the South Node in the 7th house into focus. There are other patterns too: Sun conjunct Pluto opposite Midheaven and sextile to the North Node and Neptune which are in trine and a similar triangle formed by Saturn sextile the Ascendant and Mars which are trine.

My experience, looking at charts, has been that when all, or just about all, chart elements are linked to each other by aspects in some way, the person generally is able to integrate the resources of their being effectively. Have fun with it. All the best.

Minderwiz

Zhan.thay makes a couple of good points that I think are worth further comment. Those triangles, squares and hexagons are exactly how aspects were originally seen - a regular sided geometric shape inscribed in the circle (of the zodiac). There is a human trait that attempts to make order (cosmos) out of disorder (chaos) so my comments on the bucket are not so much that I don't go for patterns, as I am not really swayed by the conventional explanation of their meaning. That being said it certainly should be taken as an important feature if two or more planets in conjunction are opposite another one or two planets. This can be taken with some degree of width. The modern view of the bucket is that the collection of planets should span at least 30 degrees and preferably 60 degrees. A traditional opposition, by sign has a span of up to 30 degrees - so these two configurations (bucket and traditional opposition) are not all that disimilar in an attempt to recognise order.

Personally, I still would not use Chiron, but others certainly would and it's worth exploring Chiron to see if it holds real meaning for you - both in your own chart and in the chart of others.

The second point of interest I'd like to take up is the 'hemisphere' reference made by zhan.thay. Modern Astrology has taken up the idea of looking at the hemisphere oppositions - North v South and East v West, and these are often sub-divided into quadrants, such as North East or South West. I used to think that this idea was a modern development, because I never came across it's use in Medieval or Seventeenth Century Astrology. However since beginning to study Hellenistic Astrology, I've realised that there is an implicity hemisphere consideration there. It's determined by the Day/Night split of Ascendant/Descendant axis - North v South in more modern terms. The Hemisphere above the horizon (houses 12 to 7 in a quadrant system, houses 12 to 8 plus those parts of the first and seventh that lie above the horizon in a whole sign house approach), represent Spirit or even Soul, that which makes us more than 'material' beings. That part of the chart lying below the horizon is the more material components of human life.

That doesn't exactly correspond to the modern division between the subjective 'I' and the wider world - it's more a contrast between my material needs and my intellectual or spiritual needs - that which makes me fully human and fully 'civilised'. However, both concepts have the clear implication of 'I' becoming more than simply a collection of material needs and joining with others to becoming something greater part of human society - a fundamentally classical Greek concept of a human developing to their full potential.

Your challenge therefore is to ensure that you do not over concentrate on the material things in life but to look to the spiritual as well. I'd suggest that triple conjunction of Mercury/Moon/Mars in your fourth whole sign house is the key - Mars is in it's own domicile of Scorpio and rules the MC in Aries - a career in travel or higher education, or indeed in the mantic arts would be one good move (the MC lies in your ninth whole sign house) you may well be able to think of othes, using the rulerships of these three planets.

Xrysalida

Hi laurence,
my chart is really "empty" also, I have planets only in 7, 8, 10 and one planet in 9, I only have chiron in my 2nd house. Great info given here!

laurence

Thanks all of you for such a great information.

So if I understand, there is nothing wrong with empty houses. To get useful information, I should focus on other aspects of my chart like squares, oppositions, sextiles and so on...

Cheers!

carol.vu

Hi Laurence!
My exprience with this chart is if almost of your planets stay from house 1 to house 7, so you usually be a person who think about negative things and not a kind of open person. i read the natal chart for some people and almost of their feedback are right. and about the working of those house still normal. you should look at the degrees, the rulers house,... to know more. ^_^