Decks that aren't cohesive

greatdane

I am putting this here because I'm just talking about ALL types of decks in general, whether oracle, tarot, Lenormand, any type of deck.

I find, for me, that if a deck has cards that look like they are from different decks, there is no unifying feeling to them, I don't want to read with them no matter how lovely the images.

If a deck is purely oracle and doesn't fall into tarot or Lenormand, that seems different to me as oracles are more free flowing. Tarot and Lenormands that have cards that look like many are from different decks (some images painted, some photos, some black and white, etc), it just doesn't feel right for me. Technically, I CAN read with them, but I find them distracting.

What do other ATers think? Does it matter to you if the cards look like they kind of fall into a style? Do you care about all decks or only certain ones (like with tarot you don't care, or with oracles or Lenormands)?.

Celtictarot

The new version of the Oracle of the Dragonfae. The energy of the deck has been lost for me.

greatdane

That's interesting, Celtictarot

Can you expand on what doesn't work for you regarding the deck? I personally don't have it and would enjoy reading more of your thoughts of why you don't find it cohesive.

Celtictarot

Well, it is with the Jimmy Manton work, the deck to me has been ruined as the artwork just removed the energy of the deck which is lovely. I just don't want to go near it as the newer cards ruined it for me.

Plus they have made the backing and the colour a bland beige as well. I just feel the dragonfae energy the deck is meant to portray has been lost.

greatdane

thank you for that clarification, Celtictarot

I know one man or woman's deck delight is not always someone else's. It's always interesting to me to see why someone likes or dislikes a deck. Not that that will make a difference in how I may perceive it, but it does sometimes make me see it in a different way.

Celtictarot

No problem.

GryffinSong

Cohesion is a deal breaker for me, regardless of the type of deck. To a lesser extent, it also irritates me when the backs of the cards don't look like they belong to the deck. This isn't a deal breaker, but it bugs the heck out of me. A good example of this is the Morgan Greer. A lovely, warm-feeling deck. Those stupid blue backs with random stars on it don't even share a color palette with the images. VERY distracting.