Mage the Ascension and a 'regular' deck ?

Lion-O

Hi guys,

The Tarot has fascinated me for quite some time now but unfortunatly there aren't any stores who actually sell decks over here, so when I discovered 'Mage the Ascension' (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/mage/review.html) a couple of years ago at a local gamestore (I usually buy D&D & AD&D related stuff there) I didn't hesitate in buying it. Unfortunatly the booklet told me that this deck wasn't a real deck and should not be used as such.

Despite that setback I decided to keep it and from time to time used it nevertheless, but I kept a 'clear and open mind' as I like to call it where the outcome was concerned. Although the cards use different suits their meanings seem to be the same and to my surprise my readings are becoming better and better. At the moment you could say that the cards "speak out" to me, in a certain way. At the moment I finally 'discovered' the Internet and a regular deck (Rider-Waite) has already been ordered.

Still my 'mage' deck fascinates me. And it makes me wonder; how different or "wrong" can this 'game deck' be when compared to 'regular' decks? Isn't a Tarot deck merely a 'medium', no matter the specific deck, or am I overlooking something ? And how 'wrong' or maybe even 'dangerous' could it be to use it (and keep using it) anyway? Thanks in advance for any replies.

faunabay

It's not wrong or dangerous at all. In some other thread (can't remember which) we talked about this to a degree. Cards are just cards - people read with regular poker decks as well. It doesn't matter. What matters is you get information from them. And it seems you do with the Mage deck. I say keep using it!!!! :)

Liliana

Go ahead and use the Mage deck, they said that to cover their butts lol. It has some Rider Waite take off imagery, so it shouldnt be much of as tretch to use it, or the Waite for that matter :) In know very well in the live action roleplaying scene this deck is used for actual readings, and if you like it, go for it :)

Diana

After seeing the cards shown on the Aeclectic link you gave, these cards actually look pretty interesting. I really don't see why you shouldn't do readings with them. Do you have any other links where one can see the rest of the cards?

Lion-O

More Mage stuff ;-)

Hoi faunabay, Liliana and Diana,

Instead of posting yet another 3 messages I'll simply combine my answer. Easier to write and hopefully also easier to read ;-)

(faunabay): It's not wrong or dangerous at all. In some other thread (can't remember which) we talked about this to a degree.
*nod*, I read that thread myself as well (yeah, I first did a fair share of reading before posting). Although it did, like you say, covered some of it I didn't find it apropiate to put my question there. If we talk about the same thread then I put in a reply instead ;-)

(Liliana): Go ahead and use the Mage deck, they said that to cover their butts lol.
Hehe, somehow I figured as much but since I'm fairly new with the whole Tarot concept (using and knowing how to use them is IMO different then knowing the whole concept behind it) I still had my doubts. Well; no need to say that this forum is a great place to share them, and thank you guys for replying.

(Diana): I really don't see why you shouldn't do readings with them. Do you have any other links where one can see the rest of the cards?
Same here. My main concern was the booklet telling me that the deck was a game deck. Due to my (steadily disapearing) lack of inside knowledge with Tarot I simply wondered if a game deck really is that much different from a regular deck (knowing that Tarot cards shouldn't be treated like toys, thus some comments I've read).

About those links; I did a quick search just now on some of the sites I know to be into RPG games but nothing so far. I'll have another look this evening but when everything fails I think I can make some pictures of my deck myself. Although I can't promise anything I'll see what I can do (and will get back to you about it).

.dc

Lion-O,

I agree with everyone. Use the deck.

As a regular mage player (and i happen to know the ex-line developer of the game) i know that they build and write the books to use. So why shouldn't the cards be any exception?

Phil and the others wanted to MAKE a real Tarot. The covers of all the Mage books displayed a tarot card and drew many players into the world so well, that the response prompted him and the artists to create their own deck.

i have a deck myself, more for colletors purposes but i do have a few friends who do use the deck for readings and it's amazing what the cards can do to enlighten a situation (not to mention spice up gameplay).

hope this helps.
blessed be,
.dc

Jewel

It is a dark deck but I like it. I think that if you have a concept of the "World of Darkeness" in which the RPGs of Mage and Vampire are the deck makes a lot of sense. I am not an RPG player but am quite familiar with the White Wolf games through their fiction. I also really like the art and typesetting on the cards. Keep on using it if you like it! That line about it not being real is I think something they are simply used to putting as a disclaimer in their fiction and gaming books and nothing more.

Lion-O

Hi .dc & Jewel,

(.dc):
Phil and the others wanted to MAKE a real Tarot. The covers of all the Mage books displayed a tarot card and drew many players into the world so well, that the response prompted him and the artists to create their own deck.
Wow, thats quite interesting to know indeed. I did some searching on the web for more information (and pictures) on this deck but unfortunatly it seems to be quite rare; not all mage sites mention this deck. Anyway, maybe I should look into the 'mage' concept a bit further sometimes, but currently I simply lack the time for it ;).

(Jewel):
I think that if you have a concept of the "World of Darkeness" in which the RPGs of Mage and Vampire are the deck makes a lot of sense. I am not an RPG player but am quite familiar with the White Wolf games through their fiction. I also really like the art and typesetting on the cards.
Well, I really took it the hard way. I didn't have any knowledge of the Mage game what so ever; I even bought the deck totally on impulse; not because it had anything to do with Mage or something similiar; but because it was a Tarot deck ;-)

Still it worked out pretty well; like you said, though it may be a bit dark the images are quite detailled and pretty well drawn IMO. It does take getting used to though, but then again; from what I've read so far on these forums its about the same with any deck. And the 'modern' way these pictures are drawn really appeals to me (not at first, but I guess I got used to 'm, which then turned into a liking of the cards).

Thanks for the input guys!

Jewel

Lion-O said:
Well, I really took it the hard way. I didn't have any knowledge of the Mage game what so ever; I even bought the deck totally on impulse; not because it had anything to do with Mage or something similiar; but because it was a Tarot deck ;-)
[/B]

If you are able to I would suggest getting the Mage Players Guide and you can learn about the Mage Traditions and the World of Darkness. It is expensive ($25 I think) but it could add additional perspective for you. It is quite fascinating. White Wolf has created a neat little dark world out there ;)

.dc

Lion-O said:

Wow, thats quite interesting to know indeed. I did some searching on the web for more information (and pictures) on this deck but unfortunatly it seems to be quite rare; not all mage sites mention this deck. Anyway, maybe I should look into the 'mage' concept a bit further sometimes, but currently I simply lack the time for it ;).

yes, it is hard to find and not many people use it with the game reality. i have seen a few in Borders and ebay and whatnot... i'm sure if i try to ask phil for a copy, it'd be hard to find on there.

don't be too hard on yourself. Jewel is correct, they place the "reality versus GAME and FICTION disclaimer in all their books. even though a lot of the game concepts are grounded in modern ideas and majicks, it's STILL FICTION and in some cases people may find themselfs getting lost in the fiction.

Believe it or not, it does happen. i had friends in one AD&D game go at each others throats cos they lost the whole idea of what was real and what was the game.

i own the books... and they are great resources. however, as with the rest of life, take it with a grain of salt... it is NOT the end all to be all. White Wolf games are fun in that if you don't like what is written or said, CHANGE IT to fit what you need. =)

If you do end up going out to get the sourcebooks or Players Guides... i recommend both, because if you just get the Players Handbook, you'll miss out on a lot of good material... make sure you get a current copy. the first edition, while good, does not explain the game as well as the 2nd edition. trust me... as a lot of us helped to shape and make the 2nd edition better.

let me know if i can help ya out further!
blessed be,
.dc