What stones to buy first?

Aure

My first crystals & stones! (ex-What stones to buy first?)

I'm new here and recently I've felt the need to get myself a few crystals and stones for good luck. I also would like to increase clairvoyant abilities and in general make myself healthy, peaceful and brave.

Any suggestions?

I have been considering amethyst, clear quartz, moonstone, smoky quartz, lapis lazuli and carnelian.

wavebreaker

Maybe you should just buy the stone(s) that appeal(s) to you most?

I don't know that much about stones, but I was very much drawn to amethyst, so that was the first one I ever bought, and it turned out to be a very good stone for me (helped cure my migraines).

Aure

Hmm... Amethyst does seem very appealing at the moment... I've had terrible headaches lately and I do have migraine as well... I seem to feel drawn to stones with a bluish tint or clear ones at the moment..

wavebreaker

I wore my amethyst (it was a pendant) every day for a few years. During that time, my migraine attacks got less severe and by now they have been reduced to merely an annoying headache. They are also much less frequent than before (I can't even remember when I had the last one... ;) ). Also, when I do feel one coming on, holding my amethyst often helps ward off the attack.

Bluemanticore

Aure, according to Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, & Metal Magic (a book I consider the greatest resource on this subject) several stones considered good for luck are: Alexandrite, Amber, Apache Tear, Aventurine, Chalcedony, Chrysoprase, Cross Stone, Jet, Lepidolite, Olivine, Opal, Pearl, Sardonyx, Tiger's Eye, and Turquoise. Green stones are also considered generally good for luck. This does not mean that only these stones are good for luck, just that these stones have tended to work well in that area through the history of mankind. Like Wavebreaker said, if you come across another stone that seems to call to you for a certain use, feel free to do so. The powers of the stones are not written in stone. :)

Regarding amethysts, for me, the amethyst is one of the most powerful of all my stones. I find it to be a great reinforcer of energies, its own and other stones. Just my 2 cents.
Hope this helps some.

Blessed be,
BlueManticore

Moonbow

Hi Aure

How about getting one in each Chakra colour? That's what I did (plus a few others that I just 'liked').

I'm in love with my Selenite and Amethyst stones and my Citrine pendulum at the moment. I'm also going to add to my collection.

Moonbow* :)

Umbrae

Begin with black or dark dark green.

Usually I suggest Onyx.

Before you begin using the amethyst, or clear quartz (which actuate the upper chakras), it’s usually necessary to ‘ground’.

Some folks who begin working with stones may find themselves with the ‘whirlies’, or some nausea. This is due to lack of grounding.

Onyx is the answer.

Aure

Where should I go from the 'grounding'? I would also like to know more about working with stones. Any guidelines to follow?

TemperanceAngel

Aure, I agree with what everyone has said, but I would say a clear quartz crystal to begin with, because it connects to all seven chakras, so you will be grounded with it.
Onyx is very grounding, but not to wear or have on your person all the time as it is very strong :) XTAX

miss_apples

Personally I like to use Rose Quartz for almost everything...thats just me though. The reason why Amythest is really good for headaches is because it has a very strong pulsation. If you hold it in your hand you can feel it.