What do you look for in an Oracle Deck?

CasCanete

What are some qualities that may distinguish a "nice" oracle deck from a "GREAT" oracle deck? One that exudes spiritual prowess and divine nature?

Attention to details and symbolism?
Alignment with spiritual faiths such as shamanism or paganism?
Beautiful images?
Clarity when reading? (and how?)
Affirmations?

I just began work on an oracle deck of my own, and I thought it may be good to ask what 'you' look for in a deck? What makes that special deck 'special'? I'd also love to hear some examples of what you would consider 'great' decks in your collection.

Thank you!

~Cassandra

ravynangel

deleted :).

ana luisa

What are some qualities that may distinguish a "nice" oracle deck from a "GREAT" oracle deck? One that exudes spiritual prowess and divine nature?

Attention to details and symbolism?
Alignment with spiritual faiths such as shamanism or paganism?
Beautiful images?
Clarity when reading? (and how?)
Affirmations?

I just began work on an oracle deck of my own, and I thought it may be good to ask what 'you' look for in a deck? What makes that special deck 'special'? I'd also love to hear some examples of what you would consider 'great' decks in your collection.

Thank you!

~Cassandra

Hi Cassandra. This is a tricky question. I too love oracles but needs differ from reader to reader. I am visually oriented so quality of print, colors, beautiful details and enough symbolism to trigger readings is a must. I do not like astrology, am not into fairies and never buy oracles with affirmations because they are restricting to me. But this is me. I know of readers who LOVE decks with sentences. As for readability, it is kind of a loop situation. If you like a deck and it resonates with you, it will be good for readings. It is not the deck that makes it readable but the reader :)

Onion Budgie

What distinguishes "great" from "nice"? For me, it's an inspirational theme that isn't like all the others out there. The artwork is skilled, inspiring an emotion or reaction that is relevant to the card itself. The keywords aren't flim-flammery -- they're succinct and helpful. Good quality card stock, and neither too small nor too large so that shuffling proves problematic.

Wisdom of the Hidden Realms is a near-perfect deck for me. Mystical Kipper, too (which is a recent purchase and so I haven't had a whole lot of opportunity to work with it yet -- but the style of the artwork and the keywords both pack some punch!).

Teheuti

it triggers my intuition and creative thought.
t's an inspirational theme that isn't like all the others out there.
Ravynangel and Onion Budgie said it well. I like feeling inspired and gaining an insight that stimulates creative thought.

I don't like being told what to do, so 'shoulds,' outghts,' and 'musts' tend to put me off. If there are pictures then I generally want them to be well done, but while I might first be drawn to pretty pictures, if the philosophy, worldview and depth is lacking then I usually get bored really quickly. An exception are decks that stimulate my own imagination and allow me the space to make of them what I will. I also like decks that take me to new and intriguing places, but not all of these decks hold up over time as I may soon realize that those places aren't really for or of lasting interest to me.

Orecan

If you're planning on creating a deck, I'd suggest you spend the time and money making a deck that reflects your personal beliefs/interests. In other words, create a deck that reflects what you think a deck should be. Trying to conform to any one particular methodology is not recommended - as a deck should always revolve around one's beliefs etc. - whether a creator and/or a reader. Also, when/if you publish, you'll have an easier time talking-story with buyers/readers, simply because you understand the subject matter.