stones and crystals that glow in the dark?

miss_apples

I bought this little elephant figurine that is carved out of some kind of very soft and almost powdery stone...kind of like talc. I bought it a few months ago and it has sat on my desk ever since...however I looked at it the other night...and it was glowing in the dark! In the few months that ive had it...this was the first time ive ever seen it glow in the dark and it has remained in the same spot ever since I bought it. Im not exactly sure what its made of, but before I get a chance to go back to the metaphysical store that I bought it from and ask...are there any stones that are known to naturally glow in the dark?

lunalafey

{sounds like your elephant is alabaster}

I don't know of any stones that 'glow in the dark'{like the yellow-green stuff you charge under a light}. There are stone that will 'react' to a blacklight. I imagine that there are a few stones that are able to absorb and reflect of refract moonlight, giving the appearance of glowing in the dark.
rub two quartz crystals together rapidly, they will 'glow'.....
I can't think of anything- I can think of fish and bugs that 'glow' but no stones....

Kyrielle

Alabaster does seem to glow softly when light hits it. Are you sure it wasn't backlit -- even by maybe a streetlight dimly through the window -- when it was glowing?

I will ask some of the rock experts I know if there is anything that glows in the dark. The only thing I know of is fluorescence -- when things glow under blacklight, like fluorite does.

-- Kyrielle

miss_apples

There was no light in the room when it was glowing. The only thing I can think of is that whatever the artist used to make the elephant pink glows in the dark and Im going to ask the next time I go to that store. But even if it is supposed to glow in the dark, why hasnt it glowed before now? I just find it strange.