PDA

View Full Version : Custom Avatars


Lady Eclipse
02-02-2004, 04:48
Hi,

I really didn't know where else to put this question. Considering the way I'm going, it won't be very long before I get to 500 posts and can specify my own custom avatar. How does this work? Do we make it ourselves or what? Thanks in advance for your assistance. :-)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Majecot
02-02-2004, 05:14
Hi Maralee
I found some pictures on the web I liked and basicly hacked at them and shrinky dinked them untill they were the right size. (you upload them from the User CP section under edit options and avatars.)

I am not very clever with paint programs so it was trial and error. there are some here that design their own.

Good luck, 500 posts comes up pretty quick :D

Lady Eclipse
02-02-2004, 05:28
Hi Majecot,

Thank you so much for your answer! :-) I was really wanting to create my own but wasn't sure how other's created theirs. I've been starting to think about what I want it to be so I'll have it ready when the time comes.

I think you did a great job. I really like yours, it's so pretty! Thanks again!

Joy to you,
Maralee

Majecot
02-02-2004, 06:45
Maralee, Thank you.. I went thru a few before I settled on this one. It was a learning process for sure. Moonbow*s son made hers in paint ( he is a clever boy).
Maybe some day I will take the time to learn how to actually create something of my own.

Aura Wolf
02-02-2004, 07:25
I made mine in Photoshop. If you have the program it's really easy to edit pictures and create neat effects and stuff. If you don't, then, there's always the other way :)

Keslynn
02-02-2004, 07:56
Kayne made mine (and I think a lot of people are sporting his artwork). He's an absolutely wonderful artist.

:) Kes

MeeWah
02-02-2004, 13:22
Kayne, a long-time AT member (bless his artistic soul) designed mine based on a description of a logo I designed for my business card. His is a nigh exact version of mine, which is in gold ink.

Astraea
02-02-2004, 22:56
Kayne is just wonderful. I e-mailed quite awhile ago and asked if he would design an avatar for me, and he said that regrettably, he is just too busy to do them any longer. I hope that he will one day return to creating them again.

Alissa
03-02-2004, 00:22
I also hoped for a Kayne original when I hit 500 posts, but he never even returned my email inquiry (was very busy I think).

I encourage folks to try their own hand. I had help with mine from several AT members -- thank you Pollux and isthmus!!

Originally, I thought it would be nice to have an avatar of a faery girl sitting in the curve of a crescent moon, reaching for a distant star. :)

dolphinprincess
03-02-2004, 00:42
How do you shrink it so that it meets the size requirements?

Alissa
03-02-2004, 02:49
Photoshop can help, but for me, it wouldn't save the files the files as a .gif :( no matter how I tried. The .jpg files were too large (memory wise, not size wise).

isthmus nekoi
03-02-2004, 02:49
Dolphin Princess, I imagine a number of imaging programs could help you crop the image. If you mean file size, you can compress the image - Photoshop has this program called Image Ready that is very good at it.

Lady Eclipse
03-02-2004, 05:08
Originally posted by Majecot
Maralee, Thank you.. I went thru a few before I settled on this one. It was a learning process for sure. Moonbow*s son made hers in paint ( he is a clever boy).
Maybe some day I will take the time to learn how to actually create something of my own.

Hi,

I picked out a couple images last night but I'll probably change my mind before I get to use them LOL!

Moonbow's is very pretty too. She's very lucky to have such a creative boy.

Art, like anything, takes time to master but I must admit the feeling of creating it yourself is wonderful. I'll bet you could come up with some really great projects if you took the time. I believe there is a medium for everyone...you just have to find out which is best suited for you. Thanks again for your help! :-)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse
03-02-2004, 05:12
Originally posted by Dead Star
I made mine in Photoshop. If you have the program it's really easy to edit pictures and create neat effects and stuff. If you don't, then, there's always the other way :)

Hi Dead Star,

I think yours is very cool. Yes, I have Photoshop. I use it to create my tarot decks.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse
03-02-2004, 05:15
Originally posted by Keslynn
Kayne made mine (and I think a lot of people are sporting his artwork). He's an absolutely wonderful artist.

:) Kes

Hi Kes,

I really like what Kayne did with yours. I agree, he is a wonderful artist. :-)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse
03-02-2004, 05:18
Originally posted by MeeWah
Kayne, a long-time AT member (bless his artistic soul) designed mine based on a description of a logo I designed for my business card. His is a nigh exact version of mine, which is in gold ink.

Hi MeeWah,

I'd love to see that business card! What Kayne did for you is very eye-catching. :-)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse
03-02-2004, 05:22
Originally posted by Astraea
Kayne is just wonderful. I e-mailed quite awhile ago and asked if he would design an avatar for me, and he said that regrettably, he is just too busy to do them any longer. I hope that he will one day return to creating them again.

Hi Astraea,

I'm sorry Kayne couldn't do one for you. Have you thought about trying to create one yourself or have other members help you?

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse
03-02-2004, 05:28
Originally posted by Alissa
I also hoped for a Kayne original when I hit 500 posts, but he never even returned my email inquiry (was very busy I think).

I encourage folks to try their own hand. I had help with mine from several AT members -- thank you Pollux and isthmus!!

Originally, I thought it would be nice to have an avatar of a faery girl sitting in the curve of a crescent moon, reaching for a distant star. :)

Hi Alissa,

I'm sorry you couldn't have a Kayne original but I think the one you have is very pretty. Pollux and isthmus were very generous to help! :-)

I agree that an avatar of a faery girl sitting in the curve of a crescent moon, reaching for a distant star would be nice to have.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Moonbow
03-02-2004, 05:36
Originally posted by Alissa
I also hoped for a Kayne original when I hit 500 posts, but he never even returned my email inquiry (was very busy I think).

I encourage folks to try their own hand. I had help with mine from several AT members -- thank you Pollux and isthmus!!

Originally, I thought it would be nice to have an avatar of a faery girl sitting in the curve of a crescent moon, reaching for a distant star. :)

You mean like this Alissa


Moonbow*

Its all yours if you want it

Astraea
03-02-2004, 05:53
Hi, Maralee! Since I am a Pisces and the screen name, Astraea, relates to a celestial constellation, the Aeclectic avatar that I'm usng seems just right. But if I decide to change it at some point, I would certainly be honored to have help from my fellow Aeclecticians -- the avatars I see here are simply beautiful. And I know that your personal avatar will be perfect for you!

Lady Eclipse
03-02-2004, 06:05
Originally posted by Astraea
Hi, Maralee! Since I am a Pisces and the screen name, Astraea, relates to a celestial constellation, the Aeclectic avatar that I'm usng seems just right. But if I decide to change it at some point, I would certainly be honored to have help from my fellow Aeclecticians -- the avatars I see here are simply beautiful. And I know that your personal avatar will be perfect for you!

Hi Astraea,

I do like your avatar. I think Aecletic has a very nice selection and yours is a perfect fit. :-) If you do decide to change it, I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers to help. The one Moonbow offered you is just lovely! I only hope I can come up with something as beautiful as the ones I've seen here!

Joy to you,
Maralee

Alissa
03-02-2004, 06:21
oooooh!!

I'm gonna play with this in photoshop and see if i want a back up avatar, many thanks Moonbow!!!

TemperanceAngel
03-02-2004, 16:57
I, too, have had many a problem with my avatar...
I had a t-shirt print I wanted for my avatar, but alas couldn't get it to re-size....*sniffle*....can anyone help....*please*.....XTAX

Majecot
03-02-2004, 17:03
Hi TA,
Can you scan it? and then use a photo or paint program to resize it?

firemaiden
05-02-2004, 21:34
I scanned the page of wands card I designed, and then sized it down in photoshop to the size specified by Aeclectic (I think the info shows up when you go to customize your avatar - after 500 posts), then uploaded it, and voilą. My first custom avatar was a flying toaster. :)

Sometimes in my photoshop program, pictures won't be resized if you have downloaded them off the web. So you have to copy and paste them as a new image into a new file, and give it a new format, so it doesn't have the locks that prevent re-sizing.

galadrial
05-02-2004, 23:49
Originally posted by firemaiden
I scanned the page of wands card I designed...

I love this idea, but am not artistic enough to design my own card. Is it legal to use a card, or portion of a card from a commercially available deck for an avatar? If so, is it considered ethical (by you fellow artists)?

firemaiden
05-02-2004, 23:52
My understanding is that if you use a previous piece of art work, but change it in some way, its okay. On other sites, I see people using portions of commercially available cards for avatars all the time...

galadrial
07-02-2004, 03:01
Thanks firemaiden. On reflection, I'm really not comfortable with the idea, and I've found a copyright free pic. online that I can use part of to make a nice looking (I hope) avatar.

MeeWah
25-02-2004, 11:16
This thread is being moved to Tech Support.

jlbvt
26-02-2004, 06:17
I have made quite a few avatars for use here on Aeclectic, not as nice as Kaynes, but I am still practicing. If anyone wants me to try one for them, let me know. I mostly use photos that I take myself, and then edit them till they look cool.

Does anyone have any tips on what file type gives the most detail in the 40x40 pixel size needed for the avatars? It just seems like Kayne's avatars look so much more detailed then mine... your help is apprieciated!
JOAN

Laura Borealis
27-02-2004, 04:52
Originally posted by jlbvt
I have made quite a few avatars for use here on Aeclectic, not as nice as Kaynes, but I am still practicing. If anyone wants me to try one for them, let me know. I mostly use photos that I take myself, and then edit them till they look cool.

Does anyone have any tips on what file type gives the most detail in the 40x40 pixel size needed for the avatars? It just seems like Kayne's avatars look so much more detailed then mine... your help is apprieciated!
JOAN

I can't help with the question, but I like the soft-focus look of some of your avatars (the dragonfly and flower for instance). I thought it was intentional! They remind me a bit of Impressionist paintings. :)

paulo32
28-02-2004, 20:44
How can upload my avatar made on photoshop ?

thanks

Moonbow
28-02-2004, 20:50
Hi paulo32

You need 500 posts to be able to have a custom avatar. The option will then appear in you Options in User Control Panel.

Moonbow*

miss_apples
29-02-2004, 07:58
I am having problems resizing the pics that I want in adobe photoshop! The original pictures are under 3,072 bytes but they are over 40 x 40 pixels. However when I change it to 40 x 40 pixels in adobe photoshop....for some reason it makes it over 3072 bytes! Shouldnt making the pic smaller make the file smaller if anything? Why is it causing the size of my files to go up when Im making the pic smaller?

Laura Borealis
02-03-2004, 07:32
What exactly are the specs for custom avatars? I'm not finding the specs in the FAQ.

40x40 (or smaller? I see some that are rectangular rather than square. Do they need to be 40 pixels in at least one dimension?)

.gif or .jpg?

file size? miss_apples mentions 3,072 bytes -- is that the upper limit?

I know I'm a ways off from 500 posts (and I'm going to ease back on posting so much) but I like being prepared. :)

Aesthetic issues:

Nearly every avatar seems to be colorful, I haven't noticed any that are just black and white, or stark in appearance. I also notice a tendency toward non-photographic avatars, or if they are, they are photoshop'd till they look more like paintings. Would such avatars seem too jarring considering the general taste?

To visually explain what I mean, I made a couple of avatars which you can see here: http://mypage.iu.edu/~lsluder/sample.html

Not saying I'd use either one, but would they seem aesthetically jarring?

Thanks to anyone who can help, especially with the specs. :)

Demonesse
02-03-2004, 07:46
The specs appear when you reach 500 posts.

40x40 pixels (either gif or jpg) is the maximum size; they can be smaller than that, yes - but the larger they are, the better your picture/photo can be seen. Not sure about the byte limit, never had a problem with that.

As for aesthetic reasons, that is unlimited - there is no "general taste" - use your own sense of creativity and imagination and you'll be fine. :)