PDA

View Full Version : "on" & "off" status of checkboxes

filipas
02-02-2004, 08:55
Can anyone explain what the "on" & "off" status of the forum checkboxes means? I'm talking about the checkboxes at the far left of the initial forum page whose graphics are named "on.gif" and "off.gif".

Thanks,

- Mark

wavebreaker
02-02-2004, 09:05
Those checkboxes indicate whether there are new posts in that particular forum since your last visit. Yellow means there are new posts, grey means there are no new posts.

There's a small legend at the very bottom of the page explaining this. ;)

filipas
02-02-2004, 09:48
Originally posted by wavebreaker
Those checkboxes indicate whether there are new posts in that particular forum since your last visit. Yellow means there are new posts, grey means there are no new posts.

There's a small legend at the very bottom of the page explaining this. ;)
Hi wavebreaker ,

Thanks, it makes sense now by your pointing out it means "since your last visit" to Aeclectic, not your last visit to any given forum itself.

I saw the legend, but I think it is misleading; I would assume "new posts" to mean that the checkbox remains lit *until the given forum is visited* regardless of when one's last session was. This feature seems useless, since there are going to be forums with new posts I've not read yet and don't know are there *but whose checkbox will be unlit*, simply because I've spent a previous session reading a different forum. (That's annoying!)

Thanks,

- Mark

Lee
02-02-2004, 10:43
Originally posted by filipas
This feature seems useless, since there are going to be forums with new posts I've not read yet and don't know are there *but whose checkbox will be unlit*, simply because I've spent a previous session reading a different forum. (That's annoying!)Hi Mark, the solution to this problem is that you must read every single forum every time you visit Aeclectic, even though this means letting Aeclectic take over your life! :)

-- Lee

wavebreaker
02-02-2004, 18:47
Originally posted by filipas
I saw the legend, but I think it is misleading; I would assume "new posts" to mean that the checkbox remains lit *until the given forum is visited* regardless of when one's last session was. This feature seems useless, since there are going to be forums with new posts I've not read yet and don't know are there *but whose checkbox will be unlit*, simply because I've spent a previous session reading a different forum. (That's annoying!)I did mean since your last visit to that particular forum... ;)

However, it doesn't always seem to work the way it should. The best thing to do is to click the "Mark This Forum Read" option in the upper right corner after you've finished reading a particular forum. Or you can set all forums to "read" by clicking the "Mark All Forums Read" option at the bottom of the main page. That way, you are certain only those forums will be marked that contain new posts since you've marked the forums read.