Manuka Honey VS Bee Pollen

greatdane

I have read about benefits of both of these. I wish to start with one or the other. Just wondering any experiences people here have had and their thoughts. The honey I would add to food, the bee pollen I would take in capsule form. I have read good things about both of these. ATers? Thoughts? I figured Bee Pollen would be close enough to an herb that more people would see this post here :).

artemis

Bee Pollen

Bee Pollen is a superfood but like anything else you do need to check for contra- indications before using it. People who have hay fever and or asthma need to be cautious. You can sprinkle the pollen on your food if you don't want to take capsules. Here in NZ Manuka honey has a variety of uses. Why not use both?

kalliope

I don't remember much about the stated benefits of bee pollen, but Manuka honey has some unique antimicrobial properties due to the bees feeding on the Tea Tree and related plants. It can be used topically for wound healing for that reason, and some say those properties survive the digestive process to be active in the stomach and intestinal tract as well. There is some evidence that is has anti-inflammatory action and can stimulate the immune system. So that's one major difference between the two. I suppose it depends on what benefits you're looking for.

I think Manuka honey may have helped me kick a lingering upset GI system thing I had going on. I ate a teaspoon in the morning and added it to my tea. You do, however, want to be sure you purchase a brand that has either a number rating of UMF or MGO. (They measure the amount of active chemical components in the honey. It's less clear that the "Active" rating system is as reliable, so beware.) The MGO and UMF brands are more expensive, though! I bought the most reasonable one I could find, a small MGO 400 strength jar from Amazon, and it wasn't too bad at around $25.

From what I remember, bee pollen is more of a general "superfood" thing touted for general well being and energy levels.

greatdane

Thank you Artemis and Kalliope

Artemis, I try to just try ONE new thing at a time because if something doesn't sit well or I notice a great benefit, I can't tell which it was. Also I am retired and on a budget, so I wanted to choose one at a time.

Kalliope, thank you for that first person account of your experience! Most helpful. I am trying to add things to my diet, to spend my money wisely and get the most benefit. I don't mind if something is expensive if it works and there is no way to know without trying.

I think I shall try the honey first as I can literally make a part of my diet, adding to almond butter or tea.

Thank you both for your VERY helpful contributions and for taking the time to post them.