card size

Water Lady

been reading the oracle links trying to get a better understanding of oracle decks and wonder:

would it be true that most Oracle decks are a bit or a lot larger?
and
Do you still shuffle or do you table mix and then spread them to pick cards?

Onion Budgie

Yes, generally Oracle cards are a little larger.

For example, a Rider-Waite Tarot card measures 12cm x 7cm.

A typical Oracle might measure 12.5cm x 9cm.

But it's only a general rule. My Insectorum Divinorum oracle is teeny-tiny! A card from that deck measures 6.5cm x 4.5cm.

I shuffle the cards the same as I would a Tarot deck. :)

HeatherRose

Sometimes the actual size of an oracle deck can bother me....however I do tend to have longer fingers, so not much. It's more the THICKNESS that can be a problem for me. I still shuffle them, but of the different decks I have, I find ones that are thicker tend to cause me more problems when working with them. JMO

danieljuk

yes it's true! most are and often have keywords and other symbols on.

In tarot, many cards are now "poker sized" which is the size of a standard playing card. Most oracles are larger than that and tend to have border decoration.

Interesting some tarot publishers have now said they will stop putting words around the borders, I wonder if this might spread into Oracles. I don't mind having a word or name of the card or a card number, but all the text is too much!

with the larger cards I shuffle them like all my cards. I use the "over hand" technique. I am not a good shuffler so have to do it as simple as possible to move them around :)

Water Lady

sorry guys, got distracted by life.
thank you for all your comments, I did not get the Halloween deck even though I wanted one because I read they were much larger and did now know how to deal with them.

with a deck this large do you still shuffle?

Onion Budgie

I shuffle the Halloween Oracle without any problems. They're certainly my largest deck (card size 14cm x 9.5cm), along with Gaia Oracle, but they're manageable (for me with my flipper hands!).

2dogs

The decks published by Blue Angel such as the Gaia Oracle are generally a bit larger than those published by Hay House such as the Enchanted Map. My Mystic Dreamer Tarot is more like playing card size and it just looks so small now. I shuffle the cards slowly, cut them, rearrange the cut piles, fan them out a bit and feel through them with my eyes closed (the backs are not always evenly printed) and pick one, then repeat from the start for the next card.

Water Lady

The decks published by Blue Angel such as the Gaia Oracle are generally a bit larger than those published by Hay House such as the Enchanted Map. My Mystic Dreamer Tarot is more like playing card size and it just looks so small now. I shuffle the cards slowly, cut them, rearrange the cut piles, fan them out a bit and feel through them with my eyes closed (the backs are not always evenly printed) and pick one, then repeat from the start for the next card.

thank you, I just got the Enchanted map and love it,

TheStarsAndTheMoon

Most of my oracles a lot bigger than my tarot decks and I have a rough time riffle shuffling them so I just stick to over hand shuffling. I think it'd be a true statement to say oracle decks are generally always larger than tarot decks. I have the messenger oracle which is actually about the size of a normal tarot deck, maybe a bit smaller, but its the only one I have that's not larger.

Water Lady

Most of my oracles a lot bigger than my tarot decks and I have a rough time riffle shuffling them so I just stick to over hand shuffling. I think it'd be a true statement to say oracle decks are generally always larger than tarot decks. I have the messenger oracle which is actually about the size of a normal tarot deck, maybe a bit smaller, but its the only one I have that's not larger.

I have found that too