Reliable Horoscope charts?

rainier

Could anybody point me toward a site that has reliable daily horoscopes (Western)? My psychology teacher has assigned us a project to record our horoscopes so we can have an example of pseudoscience (which I feel is a tad bit insensitive) and I would just like to go into this assignment as prepared as I can be. I would like to have access to some thoughtful, well-done horoscopes in order to hopefully show him that all this isn't pseudoscience bologne as he seems to think.

Smiling

I like the cafeastrology.com site, since it has many features, and you'll also find daily horoscopes listed.

In order for your teacher to give astrology a fair shake, though, the daily horoscopes won't reveal what astrology is truly about! For that, you'd have to look at the unique moment in time and place when a person's born, and erect the chart for that moment. And that's just the starting point!

Michel Gauquelin did some notable and respected scientific study of astrology charts, charting patterns and using a scientific method to draw conclusions, and you may want to check out his writings/books.
Here's one link I found -
http://www.astrology-and-science.com/g-hist2.htm
and there are many notable Indian astrologers as well that have advanced the science of astrology, too. :) Good luck! :)

Minderwiz

The word 'Horoscope' translates at 'Hour Marker' from the original ancient Greek. In modern terms it's the Ascendant of an astrological chart. That is the degree of the sign rising on the Eastern Horizon at the moment and in the place where an event happens - such as a birth.

'Horoscopes' in the sense of this exercise are short predictions based on your Sun sign but the reason why they are called horoscopes is that they are based on the assumption that everyone, everywhere, is born with the Sun in the rising sign and that palpably is not the case. So even on an Astrological basis they are not a valid method of prediction for either individuals or even Sun sign groups. So they don't make use of the other planets, they don't make use of what your Ascendant actually is and your Ascendant is the key to everything.

You are quite right to bridle at the use of the term 'pseudo-science' especially as this is an a priori judgement not based on any evidence. Indeed as a 'scientific' enquiry it's deeply and fundamentally flawed it attempts to disprove Astrology, which it assumes to start with is false on the basis of writings which would be dismissed by Astrologers as valid.

Whilst you have to complete the assignment and Cafe Astrology or Astrology.com are good sites to use, you should also question the validity of any conclusions that are drawn.

Most Western Astrologers follow a 'psychological' approach based on the psychology of C G Jung, who himself was attracted to Astrology. So one might actually question whether if a psychologist supports Astrology, that shows that Psychology itself is suspect. Indeed I have seen Psychology described as a pseudo science. But does that criticism invalidate it. Are non-scientific disciplines invalid and without value.

Gauqelin is well worth investigation. There's also a research by Hans Eysenck that suggests at least qualified acceptance of Astrology. Refer to Astrology, Science or Superstion - which you might find in a library or can buy second hand from Amazon.

There's also the question of which Astrology. As Smiling indicates there's a whole branch of Jyotish, or Vedic Astrology, which is very different from Modern Western Astrology but still uses a chart set for the moment and place of birth. There's also quite a few twentieth century variants, not to mention the traditional approaches in the West, such as Hellenistic, Arab, Medieval and Seventeenth Century.

There are all sorts of related question, one of which is the nature of science itself. Astrology is not and never was entirely objective, in the sense of not requiring the subjective interpretation of evidence by an Astrologer working with the subjective input of a client (who may or may not be able to provide and objective view of his or her own personality). But then science itself is not as objective as it claims. One only has to look at disputes in the 'scientific' community to realise that.

I could, of course, be doing your teacher a disservice and they may be trying to simply look at all these issues through their exercise.

rainier

Thank you so much, both of you!! I personally don't know much about astrology so this was really informative. I'll make sure and keep all this in mind while doing my project...maybe even bring up some of these points with the teacher. I just feel it's a little unfair of him to completely dismiss this subject as false.....

danieljuk

just two other suggestions for you rainier

Susan Miller has http://www.astrologyzone.com people swear by her horoscopes like a cult! all the fashion industry read it when she unveils them at the start of the month. She posts once a month for each sign but it gives dates and what happens for each sign. She says you should look up your sun sign (birth star sign) and your ascendant sign. For someone who makes generalised horoscopes for 12 different signs, they are eerily accurate (in my experience). Better than any newspaper.

http://www.astro.com takes all your details and makes a birth chart. Each day it gives you a horoscope which is very personalised for you, based on birth time and date. For free you get a short one, if you pay you get a much longer one. This uses a lot more but is a computer pumping out the generic page for the astrology that day.

rachelcat

Hi! As so ably pointed out, sun sign astrology is limited in that the predictions are the same for everyone born in the same month as you.

So I'd like to suggest a daily horoscope based on the location of planets today related to where they were at your exact birth time. I'm coming to the end of my first year's subscription to this, and I can't really say that it's wonderfully accurate -- or not! -- but it gives me something to think about, and I still like the idea that it's much more personalized than a sun sign scope.

Here's the order page. http://www.astro.com/prod/pr_hkonl_e.htm

You can sign up for just 2 months (for under $20), so it might work for your project.

Just an idea! Good luck with your studies!

rachelcat

Daniel, we cross-posted!

rainier

Hi! As so ably pointed out, sun sign astrology is limited in that the predictions are the same for everyone born in the same month as you.

So I'd like to suggest a daily horoscope based on the location of planets today related to where they were at your exact birth time. I'm coming to the end of my first year's subscription to this, and I can't really say that it's wonderfully accurate -- or not! -- but it gives me something to think about, and I still like the idea that it's much more personalized than a sun sign scope.

Here's the order page. http://www.astro.com/prod/pr_hkonl_e.htm

You can sign up for just 2 months (for under $20), so it might work for your project.

Just an idea! Good luck with your studies!

Is there some way to figure out the planetary alignment? I know what time and where I was born, but I've got no idea about the planets. Thank you!!

Minderwiz

Is there some way to figure out the planetary alignment? I know what time and where I was born, but I've got no idea about the planets. Thank you!!

You can get your chart cast on www.astro.com for free using your data. That will give you a chart with all the planets placements marked on it. If you have not dabbled before, it's a good starting point and we can supply some of the basic description where you are not sure.

http://www.astro.com/cgi/atxgen.cgi?btyp=xpht&

will give you access to a free psychological reading, which might be of interest to you give your area of study. Be aware that like all astrology computer programs this cobbles together a reading based on the generated chart going at one factor at a time. It's rather like getting someone to take a series of different personality tests and then simply grouping like minded scores together and giving a brief interpretation of each one but making no attempt to look at the overall picture and picking out the main themes, which is what a human reader would do. So there is no real synthesis or nuances, which you would get visiting a live Astrologer. However it is superior to the short horoscopes.

Smiling

Thank you so much, both of you!! I personally don't know much about astrology so this was really informative. I'll make sure and keep all this in mind while doing my project...maybe even bring up some of these points with the teacher. I just feel it's a little unfair of him to completely dismiss this subject as false.....

Indeed! It sounds like he may be using the project to support his bias, typical of some academia, regretfully...interesting challenge! please keep us posted how it turns out? :)