PDA

View Full Version : PM Glitches

Astraea
17-02-2004, 02:47
This morning, I received e-mail notification that a fellow Aeclectician had sent two pm's. However, when I clicked on the link in each notice, my User CP indicated that there were no new pm's, and the homepage confirmed this.

Also, last night when attempting to send a pm, I repeatedly got the message that the character count had exceeded 2000, when in fact it was well under that. Only by careful editing was I able to send the message.

Has anyone else experienced either of these things, or might it have been just a temporary glitch in the system? Thank you in advance.

Kaz
17-02-2004, 03:18
nope, not those problems.
i did notice when i click OK for a pm to open in a new window, it opens in the same window.
keep an eye on this, coz otherwise we should contact solandia.

Astraea
17-02-2004, 04:39
Will do. Thanks, Kaz!

wavebreaker
17-02-2004, 07:21
Could the notifications you received have been for PMs you received before? Because I notice that every now and then, the notifications are delayed and then I sometimes get a notification hours after I got the PM. By then, I've already seen the PM on the forum, so it seems as if there's no new PM to go with the notification.
Am I still making sense? ;)

Astraea
17-02-2004, 07:38
Wavebreaker, you make perfect sense and I do know what you're talking about. But in this instance, the date was today's date (I had exited Aeclectic the evening before and not gone back on, and my e-mail inbox was empty when I turned the computer off for the night). I had been expecting a pm from this person; I pm'ed her to tell her about the messages not being in my Aeclectic pm inbox. It turned out that both of her pm's were indeed "lost in the ethers," and she had to redo them. It's a puzzlement!

wavebreaker
17-02-2004, 08:02
Maybe the person who sent them used message tracking and cancelled the message in the message tracking window? I think the notification gets sent right away, as soon as you send a PM, but if the PM was cancelled after that, you won't find it in your inbox.

Diana
17-02-2004, 08:13
Originally posted by wavebreaker
Maybe the person who sent them used message tracking and cancelled the message in the message tracking window? I think the notification gets sent right away, as soon as you send a PM, but if the PM was cancelled after that, you won't find it in your inbox.

Yes! That is what happened. I didn't know that this would delete the PMs. I don't normally use message tracking so I don't know how it really works.

The mystery is solved. Sorry about that Astraea.

Astraea
17-02-2004, 08:14
Thanks, Wavebreaker -- that could explain it. Ah, the in's and out's of the Internet!

Astraea
17-02-2004, 08:16
Diana, you and I were posting at the same time! Well, we have learned something new and useful -- I didn't know about that, either! :D

wavebreaker
17-02-2004, 09:12
There are two buttons in the Message Tracking window: Cancel and End Tracking. If I'm not mistaken (I sometimes mix them up myself... :D ), the Cancel button cancels the message and End Tracking only ends the tracking (so you won't see when the addressee has read the PM), but won't cancel the message.

Astraea
17-02-2004, 09:36
Wow -- thank you so much for explaining that, Wavebreaker. I had no idea.