PDA

View Full Version : Why is Chat forum for subscribers only?

Aure
22-02-2004, 05:34
I just noticed my thread had been moved to Chat Forum... Okay, so that forum is for general discussion but since I'm not willing OR even able to pay anything for the use of this forum, I have to post here.

I would love to be a subscriber but.... Can't pay, so... The sum is not the issue but the methods of payment are.
If that forum is for general discussion it should be free!

miss_apples
22-02-2004, 05:49
How long do you think it will be before this thread gets moved there too.

I remember a few years back the forum was completly free. I think since so many people are interested and posting that they had to get a bigger site and had to pay for it. I suppose the chat section is in the subscribers portion because it is non-tarot related and only the tarot and divination sections are free.

Aure
22-02-2004, 05:54
I dunno, I expect it will be moved too... :mad: :mad: :mad:

So, more users cost more money, but who wants to pay to use a message board? That's just not right especially when the payment methods in Finland are different. It would be too risky to send cash in a letter and it is really hard to get cheques anywhere, nobody uses them anymore!!! We usually transfer the money directly electronically to another account for example using a web bank service.

Moongold
22-02-2004, 05:57
Greetings Aure, and welcome to Aeclectic ~

Having a subcriber section helps support Aeclectic financially. For many years Solandia, the web mistress, ran the site completely without charge to anyone and the idea of subscribers was introduced last year I think.

Maintaining a web site like this is quite costly and many people became subscribers in order to help keep the site going, and also as an affirmation of the work Solandia has done over the years.

So it is natural that there should be some benefits for subscribers and chat is one of those. Some forums, like chat, are very busy and require a lot of time and effort to keep going so it is also reasonable to charge.

You can join by various means, and if you wanted to you could email Solandia and explore some of those options with her. PayPal, Credit cards and various other means are available.

There is a process whereby you would be notified if you initiated a thread and it was moved. I don't know what thread you are referring to, so perhaps you could follow this up with a Moderator.

My best wishes. There is so much to enjoy and learn here, subscriber or not, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts. :)

Moongold

Mimers
22-02-2004, 05:59
With all due respect, it is for subscribers because there is one person behind this whole forum and this whole site. This is her full time job and she needs to earn a living somehow.

The fact that there are so many forums that are free to everyone to me seems very generous.

There are also many members that can not afford to pay that are members due to donations from people that can afford to donate. You can email Solandia and request to be on this list.

Why do you think it should be free?

Thanks,
Mimi

Alta
22-02-2004, 06:00
Hi folks,
90% of this site is free. There are only a very few Forums, Chat Spirituality, Magic are about all.
You get to use PMs and discuss any aspect of tarot, Astrology and oracles to your hearts' content. Solandia runs these boards and for a good many years she did it entirely out of her own pocket for love of tarot. The members' fees are not high, where else can you get so much entertainment for $25 a year? Around where I live a movie, 2 hours entertainment, is $13.50. And that's before popcorn.
I am surprised at the tone of resentment, since about all you can't do as a regular member on the Forums is Chat and there are tons of places on the 'net to do that! Plus you can PM as much as you want. I and my fellow moddies will keep moving non-tarot threads to Chat though I will leave this one until tomorrow. This is among other things a searchable learning resource and tons of threads having nothing to do with tarot are not useful.
I want you to enjoy the Forums. If you cannot afford it ask Solandia, many subscribers give her extra money and she gives those who apply free (to them) memberships. Folks love this place enough to do that.

Aure
22-02-2004, 06:04
Here it is more common to finance this type of services with for example donations (then you don't have to pay taxes) or with some kind of organized activity (registered society etc.).

My problem is that there is no guarantee that the money I pay would ever reach its destination, in fact that would be more likely to get lost on the way there. (Check my previous post).

Aure
22-02-2004, 06:09
Just to make my point clear: I would be more than happy to pay even 50 a year (over 50 $) to support this iste but the problem isn't that!!

I just have no way to deliver the money there!

I really don't understand why someone would get upset about my posts, all I said was that there are lot of us foreigners who have trouble here.
Since I have the money, I think it would be wrong for me to get to a list like that since there are others who need it more.

Alta
22-02-2004, 06:12
Well, as I said, it is almost completely free. Chat is the part that is subscribers only. Scarcely a huge burden on you to have to chat via PM or just discuss tarot. That is what this place is all about.
See the front page of Aeclectic:
Dedicated to the diversity & beauty of Tarot.
That is why we are here, to talk about tarot.... and Faeries, and oracles if you wish.

Centaur
22-02-2004, 06:14
Hello Aure,

From what I gather it would seem that the method of payment is your main concern. I am unsure of the methods of payment in Finland, but you seem to be very concerned about payment reaching its destination. Do you have a credit card? If so, then you can pay using a secure connection, and you can be sure that the money will land where it is supposed to.

I think that there is a lot of free stuff, and resources on these boards. I am not a subscriber therefore I cannot speak for the paid-for aspects of the site.

C

Aure
22-02-2004, 06:14
Well, I just thought tarot bags, spread cloths and other things (not just the card meanings etc.) are related to tarot. I guess they don't then...

No hard feelings! :)

Aure
22-02-2004, 06:17
Originally posted by Centaur
Hello Aure,

From what I gather it would seem that the method of payment is your main concern. I am unsure of the methods of payment in Finland, but you seem to be very concerned about payment reaching its destination. Do you have a credit card? If so, then you can pay using a secure connection, and you can be sure that the money will land where it is supposed to.

I think that there is a lot of free stuff, and resources on these boards. I am not a subscriber therefore I cannot speak for the paid-for aspects of the site.

C

I don't have a credit card but my husband does. Unfortunately the terms ban the use of credit card on the net by giving a credit card number because it rarely is safe.

Mimers
22-02-2004, 06:22
Aure and Miss Apples too. Please do send an email to Solandia letting her know you can not afford, or have no way to make a payment. Like I said, there are many donated memberships and there is no reason not to let her know you are interested.

All the best,
Mimi

fairyhedgehog
22-02-2004, 07:25
I think that it was a very difficult decision to make, to have subscribers to this board and to make some of the areas subscriber only.

At first, Solandia simply paid for everything. But it got too big.

Then she asked for donations and got some, but I think not enough to make it work. She also considered advertisements to finance the site, but adverts would really detract from the atmosphere here.

So we ended up with subscriber-only areas, but all the Tarot stuff is normally accessible to everyone.

(This is my version of what happened - you'd have to check with Solandia to make sure I got it right.)

If you think a post was wrongly moved to a subscriber-only area, why not talk to a moderator?

And please do let Solandia know your problems with getting money to her - she may be able to find a solution.

All the best,
fh

firemaiden
22-02-2004, 07:33
This thread could actually belong in Suggestions, which is not a subscriber area.

I think that credit card use on the net is usually safe. There are encryptions, and all sorts of precautions.

Some banks guarantee the safety of their card on the net, by saying that if you get ripped off by using the card on the net, then they will cover the losses.

Ruby7
22-02-2004, 07:37
From another perspective--- I am a very private person and a lot of what is discussed in the chat section can be quite personal. I actually feel more comfortable joining in the chat section threads knowing that only subscribers can access this section.

I don't like the idea that just anyone surfing the internet could look in on this area and read this more personal section. Of course I am not referring to anyone who studies tarot and joins in on this forum on a regular basis.

As others have said, there is a way around this Aure and I'm sure it can be worked out for you to become a subscriber. Looking forward to seeing you in the chat section.

Ruby7

jmd
22-02-2004, 08:53
I too reply here as a long-time member and someone which, in my opinion at least, has contributed reasonably to the ways in which these Forums have developed over the years.

There was a time at which there were few members, and the main site was probably more busy than the Forums.

With the wonderful growth of this community, and the increased number of Forums, it was decided that the amount of time which Solandia was giving was taking away from her paid work. A number of options were considered, including, if I recall, the closure of the Forums altogether, the introduction of paid banners/advertising, and the introduction of subscription.

The last of these was generally agreed to be the better option. As a consequence, other decisions were made. As a Tarot Forum, it was felt important that the various Tarot discussions remain available to all. Non-tarot discussions could certainly be had elsewhere, but for subscribers could also occur here.

This has at various times been a source of some misgivings for some members, who of course wish for unlimited access. This is, however, on a private site - and even if it was attached to an association, would still need to generate its own funds, for there would be no government or community funds otherwise available (remember that each country has its own local customs when it comes to funds and its availability).

Personally, I support Solandia's decision in that the main parts of the Forums, dedicated to Tarot, remain free for all who wish to participate along the guidelines given (which are quite loose and generous, and seek to encourage dialogue and open positive learning).

It has also been the case that some subscribers are able to more personally interact with other subscribing Aeclecticians on matters not directly Tarot related, and for this, too, having provided an area within Aeclectic, rather than having to seek another group, is wonderful...

... if I was a new member, I would probably also ask the same question, by the way :)

P.S. threads which advertise members' products, and which have not received the approval of Solandia, are also moved...

mac22
22-02-2004, 09:12
Originally posted by Aure
Here it is more common to finance this type of services with for example donations (then you don't have to pay taxes) or with some kind of organized activity (registered society etc.).

My problem is that there is no guarantee that the money I pay would ever reach its destination, in fact that would be more likely to get lost on the way there. (Check my previous post).

My subscription fee got there no problem ...and i was upgraded quickly [I used Amazon gift certificate]

mac22
22-02-2004, 09:17
Just to make my point clear: I would be more than happy to pay even 50 a year (over 50 $) to support this iste but the problem isn't that!!

I just have no way to deliver the money there!

That's the beauty of Amazon international sites and the gift certificate idea.:laugh:

TemperanceAngel
22-02-2004, 09:52
When I joined AT last year, I became a subscriber immediately because I wanted to post in the Magic and Spirituality Forums.
And I think that this site is amazing and well worth the subscription fee.

Like others, I feel more comfortable in the Subscriber sections at times.

If we had a free Chat board, it would take a lot to maintain, think of all the work Solandia and the moddys would have to do!? But there are also private messages, they are a great way to chat with folk, and fun too :D XTAX

miss_apples
22-02-2004, 11:28
Aure

If you were to pay by credit card via paypal...paypal is very very safe. Paypal is the way most people pay for all the stuff they buy on ebay and they are very good at keeping your info private. Also most credit cards now days ensure safety use specifically for the internet. If you want to look paypal over and see their security features look over their site at www.paypal.com

I dont understand why people are getting so upset with Aure...she was just asking a question.

I personally dont want to ask Solandia for a membership because the overly proud Leo in me wont let me...lol. Also its not that I cant aford it...my significant other makes all the money and I cant convince him to shell out $25 for what he considers "a silly website"

However I understand Aures concern because Ive seen other posts about tarot bags and spread cloths that werent moved so why was hers moved?

By the way Aure...I found an easy pattern for a tarot bag online...and it looks like it could be done by hand....pm me if you'd like the link :)

Cocobird55
22-02-2004, 11:50
I am a subscriber, and I don't quite understand why the whole tarot bags topic was moved to chat, which is only for subscribers. It seems to me that making tarot bags is a valid subject for the Talking Tarot section...

Just wondering...

Sue

Jypsie
22-02-2004, 11:56
i can't afford to subscribe, ooooh but i want to!!

miss_apples
22-02-2004, 12:01
Originally posted by Jypsie
i can't afford to subscribe, ooooh but i want to!!

Really? I thought you had to describe to use those little pictures by your name. Shows what a dafty I am.

miss_apples
22-02-2004, 12:02
Originally posted by miss_apples
Really? I thought you had to describe to use those little pictures by your name. Shows what a dafty I am.

Again I proved that Im an airhead....I said describe instead of subscribe....lol

jmd
22-02-2004, 12:03
For the images, check the thread on Avatars in the Tech Support Forum (http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6)... it may help :)

Jypsie
22-02-2004, 12:05
you can have a few to choose from in the user cp, under the profile selection.

miss_apples
22-02-2004, 12:19
See...my problem was that I didnt know that they were called avatars. Now I know...yay!

jmd
22-02-2004, 12:25
...and in a mere 85 posts, miss_apples (unless I'm mistaken), you can design your own :D:D:D

(PS by the way, I didn't know they were called Avatars for a long time either !)

Jypsie
22-02-2004, 12:31
the only reason i know is that i am also a message board junkie at juggalogathering.com- avatars are a hot topic there!

i feel like i am missing so much not being able to be in the chat forum. i am going to have to scrape my pennies soon.

miss_apples
22-02-2004, 13:11
the only reason i know is that i am also a message board junkie at juggalogathering.com- avatars are a hot topic there!

i feel like i am missing so much not being able to be in the chat forum. i am going to have to scrape my pennies soon.

Jypsie...why dont you email Solandia for a membership? Or if you feel silly asking for one for yourself...I could ask for you if you like.

Jypsie
22-02-2004, 13:27
for free? I'd love that! Something doesn't feel right about that idea though. I understand why we should have to pay, I just have a hard enough time getting ramen noodles for my tummy achin'. Something tells me things will be better soon though...

Aerten
22-02-2004, 13:32
Darn! I can't get one either; not because I can't afford it but because I'm 18-- no credit card yet, and the parents don't really approve. :(

Aura Wolf
22-02-2004, 17:23
Bah! Parents. Just give them a vague description. Whenever I need to borrow a credit card to buy a tarot deck, I tell them it's for a book. Technically, it is, since half the decks I order come with books and I am ordering them from a book store :D Although I'm sure my parents wouldn't care either way...I just like to be secretive.

As for the online credit card business Aure...I'm pretty sure anyone from any country can use PayPal and it is very, very safe, secure, and efficient. And brilliant, in my opinion, I just love it. One of these days I'll get a subscription of my own...

Alta
22-02-2004, 23:11
At the request of several, I am going to move this to the Forums 'Suggestions', which is free to all members. It is not suitable for Talking Tarot but does contain some suggestions about the Forums.

Le_Corsair
22-02-2004, 23:49
i am going to have to scrape my pennies soon.

You're going to scrape WHAT? Don't do that, it's painful!

You said pennies? I'm sorry. Disregard.

Bob :THERM

wavebreaker
23-02-2004, 00:02
I don't have a credit card but my husband does. Unfortunately the terms ban the use of credit card on the net by giving a credit card number because it rarely is safe. Aure, have a look at PayPal, I think you can create an account there without having to use a credit card. You can transfer money from your bank account into the PayPal account and then use PayPal to pay. It works for the Netherlands and I think it works for most other European countries as well.

poivre
23-02-2004, 00:28
Aeclectic is like a gift to Tarot.
Subscribers keep the gifts on going.

Aure
23-02-2004, 00:37
Originally posted by wavebreaker
Aure, have a look at PayPal, I think you can create an account there without having to use a credit card. You can transfer money from your bank account into the PayPal account and then use PayPal to pay. It works for the Netherlands and I think it works for most other European countries as well.

I have to look into that! That would also solve my problems in ordering decks abroad etc. We have a really good online book store here but some decks aren't available there.

Aure
23-02-2004, 03:18
Allright, so the word from Solandia is that best bet would be sending money in a letter or try to trade something with the forum users and get a membership in exchange.

I was too proud to ask for a free membership and I'm not sure if such exist.

Phoenyx*
23-02-2004, 06:46
Don't worry Aure, I'm too proud to ask as well for help with the membership fee, though that magic forum is calling to me bigtime. :/ Damn my Sag/German pride.