PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Study Group...Peridot

Chronata
27-02-2004, 02:33
Peridots are one of those stones that I have a strange relationship with...sometimes it is all passion and romance...and sometimes this stone leaves me cold.

I have seen it in the golden green color and in the bright spring green.

I used to own two really beautiful necklaces-both from the 1920's.
One had a pearcut peridot and a very art nouveau setting, and an oval cut stone in an art deco setting. I ended up selling them, so I could go on vacation.
And I do now regret it.

Acording to a little pamplet that I have from a crystal shop in Chicago....Peridot opens new doors, and removes stress, fear and guilt.

I know that it is the birthstone for those born in August, and several of my books on crystal magick, don't even mention peridot!

My talisman book says peridot is ruled by the Sun, and so is a good charm for organization and leadership help.

I will try and find some more about this stone...in the meantime...what is your experience with it?

Moonbow
27-02-2004, 03:46
I love Peridot,

I don't have a stone but I do have some earrings and a ring, Earrings were from Hawaii where they are called Hawaiian Diamonds and the ring from Lanzarote. It's a stone produced from the heat of a volcano, but that's all I know about it. One day I will get a raw stone. Just love them!

I may come back with more but have to go out now. Where's Majecot and her Cunninghams........ you there Majecot?.......

Moonbow*

miss_apples
27-02-2004, 04:19
Peridot is my second favorite stone behind rose quartz. It is my birthstone so of course i have a particular relationship with it. Ive actually had people apologize to me saying that I was born in the month with the ugliest birthstone and I just think thats silly. Peridot is a beautiful baby green and I love it. Not only does it help with leadership qualities and healing wounded pride, its also supposed to aid in healing stomach ailments.

Pearl_Dragon
27-02-2004, 05:18
How does one participate in the crystal study group?

Do you just post a message on favorite/different stones?

Pearl

Bluemanticore
27-02-2004, 06:29
Moonbow, will I do? :)
Cunningham says:
Peridot
Energy: Receptive
Planet: Venus
Element: Earth
Associated metal: Gold
Powers: Protection, Health, Wealth, Sleep

To be most effective magically, the peridot was once set in gold. This makes a fine, if costly, protective amulet, which the ancients said gaurded against enchantments, night terrors and illusions as well as the universally feared evil eye. This latter term is usually defined as being either envy or unconscious psychic attack.

Though long associated with the Sun, Cunningham attributes it to Venus because he thinks it is more suited to Venus.

Peridot is worn or carried for general healing purposes. Several sources say that cups or other vessels made of peridot were once used in healing because medicinal liquids drunk from them were more effective.

Peridot is said to promote healing of insect bites and to help in liver ailments.

The stone is used to attract love as well as to calm raging anger. It is also useful to soothe nervousness and to dispel all negative emotions. Because it is calming to the nervous system, it is also helpful in promoting sleep if worn to bed. Such usages date back to at least ancient Roman times, when rings of peridot were worn to relive depression.

Its deep green hue suggest peridot's use in wealth-attracting spells. Additionally, all magical uses assocated with peridot apply to olivine, which peridot can be mistaken for, and vice-versa.

BlueManticore

P.S. in addition to being interchangeable with Olivine, Peridot can also be substituted for Green Tourmaline, and vice-versa

Aura Wolf
27-02-2004, 09:10
This is interesting. Peridot is my birthstone, and I have some peridot earrings that I haven't worn in years. I never really knew much about it so it's nice to learn (and see that there are others who don't think it's ugly :D).

Majecot
27-02-2004, 09:29
Oops! Sorry guys, I had a busy running around day today and was in and out of the house..

Well since Bluemanticore wasn't dozing, and I was :D I guess he gets the lime light.

Acutally this is my birthstone too, and growing up I really hated this stone, in my childish eyes, I was pretty miffed that I could not have what I thought was a prettier stone. I always looked at it as a washed out emerald.

I have grown up and now appreciate the beauty in this stone ;)

Having noted also that its powers are protection, health wealth and sleep.. well I wish I had not repeatedly "lost" all the pretty peridot jewelry my mother frequently bought me when I was young and foolish. And shame on me, I don't think that I currently own anything with peridot in it anymore.

Jeanette
27-02-2004, 11:16
I, too, have an August birthday and I'm still not really happy about peridot being my birthstone. But, I don't know why that is, after all, there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe because my sister's birthday is April and she gets diamond??? I do have a little pinky ring set in a filigree setting, and it's sort of cute. Maybe I'll start wearing it and I'll change my mind (especially now that I'm aware of all the peridot characteristics).

miss_apples
27-02-2004, 17:32
Originally posted by Jeanette
I, too, have an August birthday and I'm still not really happy about peridot being my birthstone. But, I don't know why that is, after all, there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe because my sister's birthday is April and she gets diamond??? I do have a little pinky ring set in a filigree setting, and it's sort of cute. Maybe I'll start wearing it and I'll change my mind (especially now that I'm aware of all the peridot characteristics).

Think of how much money your sister has to spend on jewelry with her birthstone in it and how much less you can spend on yours. You can have all kinds of peridot protection for a fraction of the cost of diamonds.

Moonbow
27-02-2004, 18:39
Originally posted by Bluemanticore
Moonbow, will I do? :)

Need you ask Blue, you'll do very well - and have done! :P :D

M*

miss_apples
12-03-2004, 04:18
I tracked down this thread since I have something to add. I just recently bought myself a peridot bracelet and I must say its very powerful. Since Ive been wearing it I have noticed that my pride isnt as easily hurt as it was before. I would strongly suggest peridot for anyone who is emotionally sensitive.

Emily
12-03-2004, 23:25
Peridot is also my birth stone. I have a necklace and bracelet made from peridot chips and also the raw peridot still set in rock. I like the green colour but I'm always drawn to red stones like ruby, garnet.

Does Peridot have another name when its still in the rock?

Sillanza
02-07-2004, 15:59
miss_apples, thanks for posting your experiences with peridot. It's my daughter's birthstone, and since I'm kind of a jewelry hound I've been collecting it for :D her until she's older.

Are the stones in your bracelet faceted, polished cabochons or are they tumbled chips? All mine -- I mean, *hers* -- are faceted. I love the bang for your buck you get with peridot!