Giving a lecture on the Moon

DeLani

Hey gang!
I'm going to be giving a lecture on the Moon: Physics and Metaphysics the end of this month.
I figure I'll cover the basic physics of the moon's orbit, why there's a dark side, how it affects water and life. Segway into organic gardening and even magic as it is influenced by the moon. Throw in a bit of moon lore, Goddesses of the moon, lunar calendars...
What do you think about it? What would you like to hear in a lecture about the moon?

isthmus nekoi

DeLani,

That sounds exciting. Personally, I would like to know timing regarding the lunar phases. I know new is good to begin projects and after the full to get rid of things, but it would be nice to have more specific info.

Laura Borealis

I'd like to hear about moon lore in a variety of cultures. Why do some cultures see a rabbit in the moon, and others a man?

Also about rings, halos, moon dogs, moonbows -- all those atmospheric phenomena, how they're caused.

lunalafey

oh- talking about the dark side!!!
most people are unware that there is a 'dark-side'
that is actually not always dark!!!
it's a fun dynamic to explain!!!
and pretty amazing that the Moons rotation & orbit are calibrated so perfectly that all we ever see is the one side of Her.

DeLani

Thanks everybody,
Isthmus and Lunalafey- those concepts were definitely going to be included.
Specifics would be the organic gardening stuff, the fruitful signs vs. the barren ones, and in magick, how everything can be associated with some element or sign. For example, money spells in an earth sign, to heal a broken foot in Pisces, etc.
Laura - I'm not sure what those things are! I know what Earthshine is. Could you explain them, and I'll include it!

Laura Borealis

I don't know enough to explain -- but it came up in another thread, and I bookmarked a link that someone posted. Let me rummage around...

Here we go...
http://www.geocities.com/keithsmoon/moonring/

I've seen halos, coronas, and moondogs, but I've never been lucky enough to see a moonbow or a moon pillar. There is some lore associated with seeing rings around the moon. I've heard it's a bad omen, but I always take it as a lucky one.

Minderwiz

I Hope this isn't too late but you could also mention eclipses. The Moon is the only 'planet' which can obscure the light from the Sun - when it passes between the Earth and Sun.

The Moon's light can also be eclipsed when the Earth passes between the Sun and the Moon. Both types of eclipse have had a lot of effect on our myths and beliefs. There are also complex Saros cycles which determine the regularity of eclipses so they can be predicted with high accuracy.

TemperanceAngel

DeLani, no advice just wanted to send my blessings to you, hope it's not too late! :D :D :D XTAX