Sacred Sound Instruments

The Happy Squirrel

I have been fascinated by singing bowls lately. Once upon a time I came across one and have always thought about it but never done anything to get one until recently. In my quest to better understand it, I came across other instruments which produce what is commonly known as 'sacred sounds'.

In this clip from 26:00 and a bit after, not only did I see crystal singing bowls, I also saw what the man called "crystal sound pyramid", and then there is what looks like a crystal bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgA0R13Nx8

Here we can see some other instruments which name I no nothing about.... (the first two)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1OQCWrhJxE

I would love to know what other kinds of sounds and instruments out there which can aid us in our journey! After a short search of the forum I notice that there is not a section on it, so I thought I ask here to see if anyone here is especially interested or knowledgeable about these sacred sound instruments

:)

RiverRunsDeep

The first instrument in the video you posted is a "didgeridoo".

I used to work at a Wellness Center, and there was a man who would
perform concerts there with this instrument. In person, the didgeridoo
has such an intensely deep sound, you can feel the vibrations in your
chest and solar plexus. Recordings are great too, easy to sink into a
meditative state.

The Happy Squirrel

Hello hello
I ways thought that the didgeridoo is native Australian (Aboriginies) and has a distinctly more 'springy' sound to it. The physical shape is a little more straight and rotund compared to this one. I am guessing this one is Tibetan or Nepalese? Or from thereabouts? This one looks more slender at the end where they blow into it, and wider at the end where the sound comes out. Also I noticed these Tibetan (?) ones were almost always used in a strictly religious context in it's native land. While the didgeridoo is more of a social musical instrument I am not sure. Not that it matters by the time we have adapted it for more 'musical' purposes I suppose. My point I guess is that I think those two aren't quite the same instrument although similar.

BodhiSeed

Hello hello
I ways thought that the didgeridoo is native Australian (Aboriginies) and has a distinctly more 'springy' sound to it. The physical shape is a little more straight and rotund compared to this one. I am guessing this one is Tibetan or Nepalese? Or from thereabouts? This one looks more slender at the end where they blow into it, and wider at the end where the sound comes out. Also I noticed these Tibetan (?) ones were almost always used in a strictly religious context in it's native land. While the didgeridoo is more of a social musical instrument I am not sure. Not that it matters by the time we have adapted it for more 'musical' purposes I suppose. My point I guess is that I think those two aren't quite the same instrument although similar.

Possibly a Tibetan long horn (dungchen):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_horn

I love percussive-type instruments, from singing bowls and tingshas to all kinds of drums. :)

RiverRunsDeep

Hello hello

Yup, no doubt you are right about this. Those didgeridoo concerts were nearly
10 years ago, so my memories of what the instrument specifically looked like
have definitely faded. Sorry about that!

The Happy Squirrel

I love percussive-type instruments, from singing bowls and tingshas to all kinds of drums. :)

Dungchen! Thanks BodhiSeed!

They also look a bit more 'delicate' compared to the didgeridoo. Often decorated with ornate bits of metal while didgeridoos are often decorated with pigments of some kind. I always wondered if the didgeridoos are made of one whole vegetation of some kind instead of hand forged completely.....

RiverRunsDeep I can see the similarities though!!

Google-ing "tingsha" now......

The Happy Squirrel

Dungchen! Thanks BodhiSeed!

They also look a bit more 'delicate' compared to the didgeridoo. Often decorated with ornate bits of metal while didgeridoos are often decorated with pigments of some kind. I always wondered if the didgeridoos are made of one whole vegetation of some kind instead of hand forged completely.....

RiverRunsDeep I can see the similarities though!!

Google-ing "tingsha" now......

EvMaeve

Hi Happy Squirrel!

First off, I love your un. <3

Now music: off the top of my head, I know drums and rattles are big in shamanism and shamanic journey work. However, that's not my path and I haven't even studied it academically, so I can't say any more about it than that.

Personally, as a mystic and a music dork, I can't think of any instrument that couldn't be used in a sacred/spiritual context. Music has such an amazing capacity to directly affect our moods and induce meditative and trance states. It's incredible! And practicing or making music with any instrument can be such a spiritual and meditative practice. A lot of times spiritual practitioners and musicians focus on mellow, droning acoustic sounds and ignore anything electric. To that I say, Jimi Hendrix. Electric musical genius, total mystic, spiritual phenomenon. For musicians, it's all about how you play and your personal connection to the rhythms and sounds. For listeners, it's really going to come down to personal taste. So much "mainstream" music has strong spiritual connections. Check out John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme." Check out any classical requiem. (My personal fave is Duruflé, with Mozart as a close second.)

As for non-musical sounds, the sound of rain sends me. You can record natural sounds like rain with inexpensive home recording equipment, even smartphone apps, and make MP3s to play for meditation. You can also download apps with professionally pre-recorded natural sounds like rain, birdsong, whale song, etc. for relaxation, sleep, and meditation.

The Happy Squirrel

Hi EM haha thanks

You are right I believe. I mean the singing bowl were apparently originally ordinary eating bowls and bowls to store grain and such.

I grew up falling asleep to thunderstorm and have always found nature sounds to be especially elevating. We are part of nature after all!

And yes on the requiems! Will check out Coltrane.

:)

Another I remember is the sound of wooden hollow thing hit by a wooden stick...