What is a good astrology deck?

Mystic Chris

Hello,

A friend had suggested that I look for an astrology deck since astrology is my favorite new age hobby. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The only deck that I have consistently used is Rider Waite. I hope to find a deck that is colorful, represents astrology well, and doesn't stray too far from some of the common imagery found in Rider Waite.

Thanks in advance! :)

Minderwiz

I'm a bit dubious about mixing Tarot and Astrology - it has been tried and you'll find a number of threads in the Tarot forums about Astrological correspondences and Astrological oriented decks.

I do have the Mandala Astrological Tarot by A T Mann, which is an attempt to give an Astrological Slant to a Tarot deck but I never took to it - the cards are square and can be read sideways!

I think you are better keeping the two separate - enjoy the Tarot and settle on a deck which helps you read confidently. Enjoy your Astrology and do your readings through an Astrological chart, not a deck of cards.

poivre

Karma Cards by Monte Farber

I had these at one time, but didn't get it. I don't think I was serious enough about astrology at that time.

Asher

I don't think it's necessary to keep Tarot and astrology strictly separate -- I teach astrological correspondences in my Tarot Circle although I advise students to research and use the list of correspondences (and there are several) which resonates for them. I prefer the Golden Dawn, myself. It's nice to include a bit of astrology in a reading, especially when doing relationship spreads.

For detailed information, yes, by all means use an astrolgy chart.

As for an astrology-related deck (non Tarot), I really like the Oracle of the Radiant Sun. It has 84 cards (1 for each of the 7 classical planets in each of the 12 signs of the Zodiac). I have used this in Tarot Circle with much success. The 144 page book that accompanies it is quite good, although I don't always agree with the suggested keywords.

If I want to use a Tarot deck with astrology, I generally use Thoth.

Asher

DeLani

ros said:
Karma Cards by Monte Farber

I had these at one time, but didn't get it. I don't think I was serious enough about astrology at that time.
I used to have this deck, and am a somewhat serious student of astrology - and I didn't see any astrology in that deck at all. But I had the smaller version, called the Zerner-Farber (same cards, though).
Anyway, I have a Symbolon deck, which is an entirely astrologically-oriented deck (not Tarot at all). The pictures are really nice. But - I don't like them. They have too much of a Roman Catholic point of view for me. If you are interested in them, I'd be willing to trade something for them! (now I'm hijacking this thread...sorry!)
If you want a Tarot deck that has strong astrological symbolism, the Thoth is good, and if you join the BOTA (www.bota.org) you can get their deck (or maybe just purchase it outright, I don't know). But it's very astrology and kabbalah oriented.

Mystic Chris

Hello DeLani,

Would you give more information about this deck you want to trade? I tried looking at deck previews on aeclectic.net, but couldn't find a link for the Symbolon deck. Is there another name the deck goes by?

Thanks.

Never mind -- aeclectic does not have Symbolon listed, but if you scroll through the picture gallery, you eventually see the deck. Here is the link for all of you interested:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/symbolon/

HOLMES

i do beleive

that with the tarot of cermonial magick and golden dawn assocations with astrology to tarot,
you got a great astrology teaching teacher.
but one needs a astrology chart to really apply it in order to see how the astrology in the tarot make up our make up.

some say it can't work,, some says it does,
there is no astrology standards, example i have problem with the moon not being the moon, but the high priestress for they made the sun , the sun,

yet the correspondances should one decide to use them , is just another teaching tool, and wonderful, (if you get into decanates that too can help you define every minor card by planet in sign, however there is a problem there for me with the modern planets not included. as they weren't discovered when gold dawn associated them ).

it is like reversals, or using dignities, or kabalah, a matter of taste and personal prefernce if you decide to combine the two.