PDA

View Full Version : Trading from New People

Moonbow
20-03-2004, 03:45
This is really a hypothetical situation. It hasn't happened to me but one day it could happen to someone - I think.

Is it possible to put a minimum post restriction before trading? For example, must have 25 posts before you can trade? The reason I say this is because I have noticed an occasion recently where someone started to trade quite a few decks on just their second post.

I don't say this person is not trustworthy but it does seem as though it's an open door for traders - trouble is we don't 'know' these people if it's only their first or second post. I know we don't know each other anyway but I think after being on Aeclectic for a few months now I feel as though many people here are my friends and I would have no hesitation trading with them. You kind of build up a trust.

The forum rules say that the Trading forum is not for businesses but how do we know if John Doe is a business or not? I realise that a business could still post 25 times then trade, but I think by then we would get to know them a little better and of course it is still at our own risk. I just think it would safeguard us a little more than now.

yve
20-03-2004, 06:25
It's a good suggestion Moonbow, hopefully the moderators will consider this....

Demonesse
20-03-2004, 06:50
I think this is a good suggestion; perhaps the post requirement should be even higher. I'll see what my co-moddie Marion and Solandia think.

Osher
20-03-2004, 09:49
It makes sense to have such a ruling. I suppose though we could have a link through to an 'Aeclectic Auction' site, using one of the commercial auction facilities. It could make some money for Aeclectic? Well, just an idea anyway...

Solandia
22-03-2004, 21:51
That's a good suggestion. Some forum changes and upgrades are coming soon, and I'll include the minimum post limit on my to-do list.

~ Solandia

baba-prague
22-03-2004, 22:05
because in fact I traded with someone who had only one post (and yes, it did make me nervous!) In fact it was fine and the person very nice to deal with, but I agree that some sort of minimum submissions before trading does make sense.

dolphinprincess
22-03-2004, 22:28
A good friend of mine belonged to another board where they did all kinds of trades, etc... and I think they had to have like 300 posts first... (or some high number...)... Not saying we need to go that high, but I think it is a good suggestion...

LadyMedusa
29-03-2004, 08:29
I can understand why folks might worry about trading with newer members, BUT shouldn't the decision of participating in a trade be left up to the individuals involved in the trade?

A persons post count is readily available both on the thread and through profile information, one need only to look before responding to an offer.

If someone does not want to entertain offers from persons with a low post count, I think they could state that preference in their post, like some of our members do reguarding US or European only shipping preferences.

I recently completed a trade with one of our newer members (4 posts at the time the trade post went up) and had no problem.

The quantity of posts doesn't indicate the quality of a person. If my memory is correct, I seem to recall that there have been trading issues with more than one high post count, long time member since I started reading on the forum.

LadyMedusa

Jewel-ry
29-03-2004, 14:54
I do agree with LadyMedusa here, I have done trades with members with very low counts but am still waiting for one from a high post, long-standing member since last October. Number of posts doesn't really say anything.

J :)

Demonesse
31-03-2004, 03:24
If anyone has any trading problems, please don't hesitate to approach the moddies of Trading. :)