Esoteric Astrology

Rusty Neon

Hello ... I was wondering why the ruling planets of astrological signs are different in conventional astrology versus esoteric astrology (Alice Bailey). For instance, in conventional astrology, Aires is ruled by Mars, while in esoteric astrology, Aires is ruled by Mercury. How is the difference explained?

Thanks for any replies!

HOLMES

i think

that since alice bailey books were based on channelings of ascended master,

it is the ascended master take on the astrology and not tradition based in conventional astrology.

starsongs

Rusty Neon said:
Hello ... I was wondering why the ruling planets of astrological signs are different in conventional astrology versus esoteric astrology (Alice Bailey). For instance, in conventional astrology, Aires is ruled by Mars, while in esoteric astrology, Aires is ruled by Mercury.

Thanks for any replies!

Hi Rusty Neon and Holmes...:D

In what is called esoteric astrology, there are three levels of rulership for all of the signs. The conventional rulerships, ie Mars for Aries is known as the personality ruler. The Soul (esoteric) ruler would be Mercury, and the hierarchical (spirit/celestial) ruler Uranus (for Aries).

The different rulers over see the different levels of Soul experience through the signs....for Aries:

As Aries begins its journey on the wheel of life, the energy is instinctual and impulsive in nature. Ruled by Mars (6th ray) on the personality level, this expression of Aries is much more emotional than mental. Confrontations are often the result of the undirected drive Aries exhibits; pushy and headstrong, with the need to dominate everyone and everything in the environment.

Crisis seems to follow Aries, for Aries teaches courage; the ability of the will to triumph over any intimidation, obstacle or doubt.

When the relationship between the personality and the Soul is becoming more evident, the energy of Aries can be more consciously directed. The mind (through Mercury, soul-centered ruler) begins to reason rather than react blindly. Instead of fighting for survival and dominance, an Aries on this level might envision him/herself as an instrument to correct injustice and right what seems to be the wrongs of society. Thus the 4th ray (Harmony through Conflict) comes into play through soul-centered ruler Mercury.

When Uranus begins to operate consciously through Aries, the above levels of experience have been synthesized. At this stage, Aries is in constant touch with the plane of intuition, having conquered the emotions (Mars) through the mind (Mercury). The right use of Will (1st ray) in the organization of daily life (7th ray) is very much at the heart of this Aries expression, a vehicle for the Will-To-Good, inspiring spiritual will in others.

A great book explaining the Soul or esoteric rulerships is Alan Okens 'Soul Centered Astrology, A Key to Your Expanding Self'. (and from which much of the above is taken) It is based upon the writings of Alice Bailey/the Tibetan and really helps to bring the concepts down to earth...(at least it did for me)

:D
starsongs

Rusty Neon

Starsongs ... thanks for taking the time. It puts things together for me!

Thanks also to Holmes.

starsongs

Rusty Neon said:
Starsongs ... thanks for taking the time. It puts things together for me!

Thanks also to Holmes.

You're welcome, Rusty Neon :) I'm glad it was helpful. I really enjoy this stuff, so thanks for the question!

Alta

Thanks Rusty and starsongs. I had no idea this material even existed. How interesting. Explains why many are not 'like their sign'.

starsongs

Marion said:
Thanks Rusty and starsongs. I had no idea this material even existed. How interesting. Explains why many are not 'like their sign'.

Marion,

It truly does explain that. I can remember reading about Gemini in particular years ago---mostly partying talker kind of stuff...only most of the Geminis I knew (including my dad) were nothing like what was written! Its all very interesting, kind of a missing link. :D

Starsongs