Tao Oracle

DesertDream

I was wondering if anyone owns this deck. I wanted to know how it reads and im shamelesly asking for some enabling. :)

magpie9

It's wonderful. Run, don't walk to the nearest copy!

lark

I had this deck for a little while and as I remember it was very pretty, I also had the Osho Zen Tarot, by the same people.
Funny thing happened with this deck...I had it barley a week when I decided to bring it to the psychic fair where I worked on weekends...just to give it a go with a few clients and see how it read.
One of the other reader saw it and fell hard in love with it, she took it and said I have to have this deck...and she never gave it back to me, at the end of the day she put 25 dollars on my table and said she wanted to buy it from me...so I said OK figuring I'd get another but for some reason I never did and trade the Osho Zen soon after.

So I'd like to tell you what it was like, but it went in and out of my hands so fast I barley remember what it was like...but the woman who took it from me used it all the time from that point on...so I just figured it was meant to come into her hands through me.

RedwingRaven

I was wondering if anyone owns this deck. I wanted to know how it reads and im shamelesly asking for some enabling. :)

I got this deck about a month ago and agree with magpie...... go get it.

The art work is stunning, it reads well intuitively or by using the I ching method (all explained in the comprehensive book that is included).

Cardstock is good and nice for shuffling. Benebell Wen has a full review of it on her blog http://benebellwen.com/2015/02/24/deck-review-of-the-tao-oracle-cards-by-ma-deva-padma/

This was wholly responsible for enabling me and I'm pleased I succumbed to it. ☺

DesertDream

I got this deck about a month ago and agree with magpie...... go get it.

The art work is stunning, it reads well intuitively or by using the I ching method (all explained in the comprehensive book that is included).

Cardstock is good and nice for shuffling. Benebell Wen has a full review of it on her blog http://benebellwen.com/2015/02/24/deck-review-of-the-tao-oracle-cards-by-ma-deva-padma/

This was wholly responsible for enabling me and I'm pleased I succumbed to it. ☺

*salvitatating*

Fully ENABLED

danieljuk

I bought this deck because I love the Osho Zen Tarot and they are actually quite different in artwork and style! But similar spiritual theme behind both, both being Zen related. The artwork and card pictures are lovely, you can read intuitively from them easily or use the LWB which contains lots of info on each card. They do have borders with keywords and symbols on each card which I could see that they could annoy some people.

The I-Ching element of it I find a bit pointless. It's not done in the best way and I tend to ignore it. There is an old thread about the Tao on here where people suggest comparing the hexagrams between two cards and see the difference which is a different method to the one suggested in the book where you use coins to make a hexagram and then compare to the card. I don't think it uses I-Ching well and I ignore that part of it (but every card contains I-Ching symbols). You don't need to have any knowledge of I-Ching to use it or use that part of the cards, you can ignore it! But if you wanted to buy it just for that, I would say it's not worth it. If you want to buy it for a good oracle based on Zen and I-Ching principles with lovely pictures then I would say you can't go wrong with it :) :thumbsup:

DesertDream

I bought this deck because I love the Osho Zen Tarot and they are actually quite different in artwork and style! But similar spiritual theme behind both, both being Zen related. The artwork and card pictures are lovely, you can read intuitively from them easily or use the LWB which contains lots of info on each card. They do have borders with keywords and symbols on each card which I could see that they could annoy some people.

The I-Ching element of it I find a bit pointless. It's not done in the best way and I tend to ignore it. There is an old thread about the Tao on here where people suggest comparing the hexagrams between two cards and see the difference which is a different method to the one suggested in the book where you use coins to make a hexagram and then compare to the card. I don't think it uses I-Ching well and I ignore that part of it (but every card contains I-Ching symbols). You don't need to have any knowledge of I-Ching to use it or use that part of the cards, you can ignore it! But if you wanted to buy it just for that, I would say it's not worth it. If you want to buy it for a good oracle based on Zen and I-Ching principles with lovely pictures then I would say you can't go wrong with it :) :thumbsup:

Id get it anyway. Its too beautiful to pass up. Are you saying the hexagrams dont add up or are accurate to the meaning of the cards? Do you have thread link? Sorry if i misunderstood.

danieljuk

Id get it anyway. Its too beautiful to pass up. Are you saying the hexagrams dont add up or are accurate to the meaning of the cards? Do you have thread link? Sorry if i misunderstood.

Hi DesertDream, sorry my review made it more confusing for you! okay I will explain better :) I hope you love the deck when you get it and I would recommend it and I love it! so I do recommend it! Each card in artwork and theme is based on the Hexagrams in I-Ching, there is 64 Hexagrams and 64 oracle cards in this deck. The cards take the numbered Hexagram and it's themes and has beautiful artwork to demonstrate this. In the corner is the traditional Hexagram and some other symbols which are explained in the LWB. I love the cards and I have used it as an oracle and it works beautifully. I have done complex spreads on AT and the other person said it fitted them perfectly. But there is a second part of the deck where you use the traditional I-Ching with it, in my view I find it overly complex and annoying.

I also wouldn't recommend the deck for purely I-Ching use, doing actual I-Ching or using a deck like the Holitzka is better in my view. But as an oracle based on the system it's great. You don't need to have any knowledge before! I hope that makes better sense!

When you get your deck, you don't need to use the second part of the I-Ching if you don't want to. But in the LWB they say you throw coins (or whatever method you use for I-Ching) and make a Hexagram. You then compare this to the card Hexagram and see the differences in the lines. This is a weird way of doing it and a better way of doing it is to compare the card Hexagrams between them. eg you have 3 cards, you compare the Hexagrams between them and not make a new one yourself. This all makes more sense when you get the deck and the book with it but it's a deck you study but can pick it up and use straight away and learn the rest of the stuff later :)

you can make very complicated readings for yourself with this deck based on your Hexagram knowledge or just simply use it as an oracle. I love it as the oracle part the most.

Here is some old forum threads about it for you, some of the posts talk about previous versions of the deck and not the latest we have :)

Using the TAO

TAO Questions (this thread explains the comparison of the cards hexagram idea)

enjoy the deck, hope you also love it :)