quasi-moon

Minderwiz

I'm not sure whether this link is valid - It's caused run time errors when I've tried it and entering the first part of the site address manually results in an error

Ani, can you check the link and ensure it is correct. If it is no longer valid then it's best edited out of the post.

Edited to add:

I've tried a search at discovery.com and it comes up with the link as specified by Ani, unfortunately my computer still hangs up if I try to use it.

MuffinTops

A New Moon for Earth?
AFP

The Asteroid "2003 YN17" To Orbit Earth

March 26, 2004 — Earth has acquired a "quasi-moon" — an asteroid that will encircle our planet for the next couple of years while it orbits the sun on a horseshoe-shaped path, according to a report to be published on Saturday in New Scientist.

The asteroid, 2003 YN17, "is probably a chunk of debris" from an impact between a larger space rock and the surface of the moon, the British weekly said.

2003 YN17's orbital plane is roughly the same as the earth's, but its unusual path, compounded by a corkscrew-like track, means that sometimes it is ahead of us and sometimes it is behind.

Here is the article by discovery channel. There as also a small picture, ( but I may not post attachments?)