Saturn (Saturday) in Waxing/Waning Moon?

ThtDancerGuy

Hey all,

NOTE TO MODS: I don't have access as a free user to the Spirituality Sub-Forum, so I figured this Astrology Sub-Forum was the next best forum to address this topic.

I was wondering today about the difference between Saturn's energetic planetary influence in Waxing moon phase, and in Waning moon phase. Saturn is the planet of contraction, binding, and control, of which the first two qualities are Waning moon qualities. So clearly Saturnian Magick would be theoretically most effective cast on a Saturday in Waning moon. But given Saturn's Waning-moon-esque qualities on its own, how would one use it in Waxing moon, which is the moon phase for expansion, growth and increase, and attracting things to you? I don't think I'm describing this as clearly as I understand it myself, so if you're totally at a loss for what I mean, everyone please let me know and I'll try my best to rephrase. :)

Thanks guys,
Chris:)

zhan.thay

It's not easy to make a general rule for all situations. Jupiter, involving expansion, growth and excess, is also in play at varying degrees of strength as are the other planets. If you are trying to utilise the expanding energies of the waxing Moon then you want to feel elated, optimistic and confident. If then this gets a bit over the top and starts to become pride, recklessness and overweening arrogance, Saturn's energies can steady the ship and keep it on a straight course avoiding veering off towards other distractions.

If in attempting Saturnian Magick you don't wish to involve emotions, feelings and intuitions use a banishing ritual and it shouldn't matter what phase the Moon is in, or what sign, element, triplicity, decan or anything else.

decan

The effect of Saturn and of a waxing moon seem very different.
As well this saturday both benefics will be conjunct (the conjunction will perfect sunday), but both benefics are also in bad zodiacal shape.
Well, probably the sky isn't precisely perfect for a prosperity ritual :)

Minderwiz

I don't see Saturn as primarily a planet of contraction or diminution. Those meanings have been added later based on its original meanings.

Like all planets, Saturn has a variety of meanings and dimensions but in the context of this question, the relevant meanings relate to exclusion in some form or other.

Saturn signifies, physical exclusion through building structures and boundaries that shut out the outside world. Fences, walls, houses and later buildings such as prisons, hospitals, monastries, fall into the physical expression. You are marking out the limits of what's yours and sheltering within those limits.

Very early on a mental or psychological dimension was included. Vettius Valens, in the second century CE, linked Saturn to anxiety (which can cause the individual to hide or keep to themselves) and therefore a solitary nature. In turn that can lead to an obsession with trifles, the need to protect what's yours, no matter how small. This can lead to inactivity (locking youself up in your own castle) to become secretive and through such a lifestyle become miserable, and the cause of your own misfortunes.

Attention shifts to accumulating the material and keepping it to yourself.

Saturn can also be associated with large structures both physical but also organisational. That's one of the reasons the Saturn/Jupiter cycle is seen as important for business.

You will see that Saturn is very much an opposite of the Moon, which is fast and constantly changing through it's cycle.

Now if your aim is to further the breakdown of boundaries, or to expand beyond boundaries and limits, Saturn is not a good planet to choose, and periods where it rules the day or the hour are not good for such magic.

MandMaud

Saturn signifies, physical exclusion through building structures and boundaries that shut out the outside world. Fences, walls, houses and later buildings such as prisons, hospitals, monastries, fall into the physical expression.

How do you know this is the earliest meaning? - I don't mean that as a challenge, just looking for the footnote with the attribution. :)

You are marking out the limits of what's yours and sheltering within those limits.

... which can of course be pretty empowering, in moderation.

Minderwiz

How do you know this is the earliest meaning? - I don't mean that as a challenge, just looking for the footnote with the attribution. :)

The conclusion comes from Robert Schmidt, the leading academic expert on Hellenistic Astrology. It's also cited by Chris Brennan, one of the new generation of Hellenistic Astrologers

MandMaud said:
... which can of course be pretty empowering, in moderation.

Yes it can, and a well dignified Saturn can be very empowering, using logic and reason...a very 'scientific' approach. It is when Saturn is I'll dignified that analysis becomes negative and the value of action is doubted