PDA

View Full Version : Gardening tips

Bluemanticore
08-04-2004, 11:06
With Spring here and gardening time with it, I thought it might be interesting to see if any of the herbalists here might have tips for the gardeners on plants good for keeping pests out of the flower and vegetable gardens.

I have heard marigolds are good for keeping those viscious herbivores known as rabbits out of the garden ;) and a previous thread mentioned mint is good for keeping ants away. Anyone have any more tips? Thanks.

BlueManticore

hyatt
08-04-2004, 11:17
I love to garden and especially grow herbs! I have taken quite a few organic gardening classes. one trick i learned is that slugs are attracted to beer. if you place a half empty beer can around your plants the slugs will go for the beer instead of your plants. another trick if you are planting herbs in rows - like in a garden is to sprinkle cayenne pepper around your plants. it keeps all sorts of pests away. good luck!

jema
08-04-2004, 15:16
In my herbplot I grow some things that the pests loath.
Like Coriander and Artemisia.
Artemisia is rather pretty too if you keep it short.

lunalafey
08-04-2004, 21:43
not a practical solution for some- LOL
but, once a garden is established, but not yet fruiting, and right before planting- are good times to let the baby chicks into the garden. Baby chickens, once they are out of thier babyfeathers, and baby turkeys of any age are great grasshopper hunters.

also,
For Aphids- get a praying mantis or a bucket of lady bugs {gardenshop}. Keep the ladybugs in the container in the shade, after nightfall spread the ladybugs about you infested areas. The ladybugs will sleep right where you put them through the night. and then wake up hungry and find that they get breakfast in bed!!!- so to speak. If you let them go while it's warm & they are active, they will fly away.

There are other concoctions one can make with household ingreadients to rid your garden of pests when they become a big problem- I will have to find my folder with that info.
{dishsoap diluted in water & sprayed on plants I think is one of the more simple solutions}

DeLani
09-04-2004, 05:45
Yes - soapy water is good. Also nicotine tea is deadly to bugs - just soak an ordinary cigarette in water overnight, and put the liquid in a spray bottle and spray your plants. Don't get too much of it on you or drink it!
Also, diatomacious earth will kill bugs.
But like any insecticide, both the tea and the d. earth will kill all bugs, even the beneficials.
To prevent, plant in raised beds ("French intensive."). This makes it harder for the bugs to get at the plants, and you can plant more plants in less space, reducing weeds.
Good luck with your garden!

sunflowr
09-05-2004, 20:46
Originally posted by DeLani

To prevent, plant in raised beds ("French intensive."). This makes it harder for the bugs to get at the plants, and you can plant more plants in less space, reducing weeds.
Good luck with your garden!

How do you do a raised bed?

lunalafey
10-05-2004, 04:46
A raised bed is a wooden box made in the size you prefer.
The garden I had years ago was all raised beds... It takes lot of soil, but the results are worth it. There are many advantages to raised beds...

to make a raised bed-
you will need-
Lumber; 2 x 6, 2 x 8, or 2 x 12- depending on how deep you need your bed- some plants have deep root systems- others only need a shallow bed.
Nails or deck screws {screws are better}
a ground barrier
soil
plants &/or seeds

figure your dimentions- I do 4 feet by 4 feet
you don't need it, but it is good for pest control that comes from within the earth- but black plastic or that weed fabric....there are a few things you can find in a garden shop for a barrier.
Lay down your barrier {where you want your bed} that is cut 6 inches larger than your bed.
Cut your lumber to the length you need and then make a box.
Place the raised bed frame over the ground barrier & fill with soil.

It is not neccessary, but putting an inch thick layer of pearlite or small lava rock in the bottom of your box.

lionette
10-05-2004, 04:54
Originally posted by DeLani
Also nicotine tea is deadly to bugs - just soak an ordinary cigarette in water overnight, and put the liquid in a spray bottle and spray your plants.

But beware -- nicotine is also toxic to some plants. I know it will kill tomatos.

Soapy water, dishwater with a little greasiness to it works well too. Smashing is effective, but can be too gruesome for me!

My cats help some too. They are fascinated by those horrible tomato hornworm and Nigel loves slugs!