PDA

View Full Version : Location of Self-Promotion Threads

Rusty Neon
10-04-2004, 12:35
Moderators: Please REMOVE or CLOSE this thread. Thanks.

It looks like this suggestion herein isn't very popular.

Original suggestion, which I'm abandoning (and so I don't need any flack over having made it), was: "I would suggest that all self-promotion threads started by or on behalf of a deck creator or a tarot author for completed decks/books should go in the Advertising Forum rather than in one of the regular forums such as Tarot Decks or Books/Media. As well, perhaps they should be charged a fee (besides having to be or become a subscriber) to have such a thread."

Astra
10-04-2004, 23:01
How much of a problem is this to you, actually? The Tarot Deck Creation forum can't much help being self promotion, since we're talking about decks we're doing, or getting printed, or...

If you have people discussing a deck, that's essentially promoting it - should the decks being discussed be limited to only those printed by major publishers? Every time you discuss the Robin Wood, you're doing a plug for Llewellyn, and every time you discuss the RWS, you're plugging US Games. Does the fact that the deck is by an Aeclectic member make it somehow worse?

Even the more blatant threads have had some really positive consequences - like the Quest Tarot thread where several members informed the artist that he'd been taken in with a pirated graphic. I think that was worthwhile in itself, although the thread probably should have gone into the Creation forum to start with.

Edited at Astra's request to change Gilded Tarot into Quest Tarot.

Rusty Neon
10-04-2004, 23:07
Originally posted by Astra
How much of a problem is this to you, actually? The Tarot Deck Creation forum can't much help being self promotion, since we're talking about decks we're doing, or getting printed, or...

My initial post referred to _completed_ decks and books. Not to decks in progress as in the Tarot Deck Creation forum.

Lee
10-04-2004, 23:21
I must say I disagree with this suggestion. If a new deck comes out, either commercially published or self-published, it's likely that a thread will be started on it in the Tarot Decks forum by someone who is interested in that deck. What difference does it make if the thread is started by the deck's creator? Either way, there will still be a thread.

-- Lee

Rusty Neon
10-04-2004, 23:35
Oh well, it looks like this isn't a popular suggestion.

Moderators: Please REMOVE or CLOSE this thread.

Thanks.