PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to you?: Amethyst

Bluemanticore
14-04-2004, 04:52
This is a survey, of sorts. I am just curious what amethyst means to you. Not what a book tells you amethyst means, but what comes to your mind when you think about the powers of amethyst. What do you feel when working with amethyst? What do you use amethyst for? Do you have a special connection to amethyst? What elements, animals, plants, deities, etc. might you relate to amethyst?
There is nothing wrong with amethyst meaning to you what a book says it means also, of course, I am just curious what else comes to mind when a person does first use their own mind to think about a stone. Thanks.

Sincerely,
BlueManticore

DeLani
14-04-2004, 05:27
I love amethyst. I think quartz crystals are the *best*, and I love the color purple, so they are the best of both worlds to me.
I see them as very Goddess-y. Their purple color energizes (in a cool, mellow way) the 3rd eye. If it is one point, it focuses your intuition. If it is a cluster or chunk, it simply energizes and supports your intuition or whatever psychic work you're doing. Their cooling effect also helps relieve headaches and stress.

Aura Wolf
14-04-2004, 06:50
I also love amethyst. Purple is my favourite colour and I see this stone as very calming and protective. I use it to help me sleep and get rid of my headaches :D I love the way it works with the natural processes in the body. And I definitely like to use it to open my third eye ;)

lunakasha
14-04-2004, 07:14
Thanks for asking! :D

I have always loved amethyst...the transluscent purple color, the feeling of calmness and spiritual connectedness I feel whenever I look at it or hold it in my hand. To me the color purple represents enlightenment and personal power....it is traditionally said to represent spirituality and royalty.

I have a sterling and amethyst ring that I wear every day, which helps me feel a sense of inner strength and overall positive connection with others. I sleep with a cluster of amethyst on my headboard which is calming and helps me sleep soundly and usually wards off nightmares. I also use my amethyst cluster as a focal point during my readings....aiding me toward a deep, meditative state and helping me stay focused and open to Spirit.

:) Luna

Centaur
15-04-2004, 01:44
Amtheyst for me is very calming. It makes me feel very balanced. Like Lunakasha, I also feel that it helps in connecting me to spirit when using tarot.

When I meditate, I like to hold amethyst and clear quartz. Lovely combination. I get all buzzy! ;)

Free
15-04-2004, 03:18
I love amythyst! It helps me to clear my head, when I get stressed i place a piece on my forehead and lie still for a while, it gets rid of all my negativity!
So for me I feel it is a very good stone for when you are feeling sressed out, so it is calming. I also find it helps when reading tarot, i have a cluster that i keep by me and it helps me to focus and keep my mind clear.
And the range of colours! gorgeous. :D

Chronata
15-04-2004, 05:21
Amethyst is not my favorite...which is a little strange because I love the color purple.

But I do believe that amethyst is a very powerful gem.

It makes me think of peace and meditation.
and the higher source.
The Crown chakra

It makes me think of connecting to others.
And friendships and authority.
It makes me think of the planet Jupiter and all that influences.

It makes me think of Arthurian Legends, medievil knights, and templars and other mystical secret
societies.
It makes me think of the Grail.

It makes me think of overcomming bad habits and addictions.
and those who included it in thier cups to combat drunkeness.

It makes me think of the time I had a chunk near my bed,and how I had insomnia until I removed it.

It makes me think of the element of air...and unicorns...and littlepurple scarab beetles...and the God Krishna....and the Goddess Athena.

I don't recall how much of this comes from what I read or saw...but thisis what effects my thoughts when I look at Amethyst.

miss_apples
15-04-2004, 12:24
Im not a big fan of amethyst, except I used one to relieve a headache once. I heald it in my hand and I could feel the pulse in it.

I think its pretty but Im afraid to buy any amethyst jewelry because I know that a lot of the jewelers use lab-created amethyst and Id only want authentic stones.

I believe that amethyst can help with sleep problems, headaches and help with meditation and opening the third eye. I havent worked with it a lot yet but I hope to work with it more in the near future.

Airmid
15-04-2004, 13:54
Amethyst is my birthstone and I've always loved it. Like most of the people, it makes me think of calm. I find myself reaching for my rings and loose stones when I'm getting antsy. It's extremely lucky for me too. I have an ametrine- half amethyst, half citrine. I call it my mother's ring...my daughter's birthstone is citrine.

jema
15-04-2004, 14:23
It took me some time to like amethysts. While I love clear crystals I often have a problem with the coloured ones (I still don't like rose-quarts much)
But I started to put them in my tarot bags and found them to be quite useful.
One of my main flaws as a reader used to be that I was too hasty, I would "speed-read" the cards and be very "sword-like" about them despite being a cancer. I find that amethysts connects me with my emotion and intuition while doing readings and above all - they slow me down!
(which is a good thing)

As for correspondances with herbs, scents and divinities - I guess I don't work like that.
But if I tried it would be something like this:
Herbs and scent - Jasmine and sage
Gods - No idea really
Elements - water

eastarot
15-04-2004, 15:32
Lovely post:)

First of all the colour of Amethyst - the colour of the Crown Chakra.....soothes the mind.

I have amethyst beads which I put beneath my pillow along with citrine and the dreams I get are wondeful. I find it calms me when I hold them and meditate.

My husband who's in a high stress job has also gotten into the habit of playing with the beads while we chat after he comes home. I think I should buy him another set to place under his pillow.

I love the way it warms up when I hold it for a while, very reassuring and comforting.

amyel
17-04-2004, 12:20
I like amethyst, I like the colors of purple it comes in....but I don;t like stones which are facet cut (except for my diamond ring...) - I like beads or cabochons. I have seen one lovely amethyst pendant at my fav jewellar's of a big, oval amethyst cabochon that I have been savouring.

Amethyst to me feels...old world or traditional. This is not a bad thing. I guess I feel traditional when I wear it. Does that make any sense to anyone? It is hard to describe correctly. Not that I feel old, but I feel .... you know, I guess I feel grounded when I wear it or hold it.

CreativeFire
17-04-2004, 12:32
Amethyst has always been one of my favourite stones. It is also my birthstone. I love the different shades of purple to mauve - but do like the darker ones more though.

I have a lovely little amethyst cluster that I sit on my tarot table and find it very soothing and helps me focus intuitively. I also wear amethyst as I have a special silver piece that is a pentacle that has an amethyst in the centre and moonstone on the five points of the pentacle.

CreativeFire

Majecot
28-04-2004, 14:18
Amethyst is another favorite of mine. Purple is my favorite color.

Amethyst is my sleep aid, I keep a good sized sone next to my bed, handy for the occasional headache. I find it very soothing.
I also carry a small crystal in my purse ( I have several stones that I keep in a small bag that fits in my purse) And I have one small point that hangs in my car.
I find it helps me de-stress from the days events and has a calming affect.

cheekyminx
28-04-2004, 14:31
Purple is wonderful. My favourite colour. I ADORE amethyst. If i'm allowed to & if I have a girl I will seriously consider calling her Amethyst & if I have another girl Amber.

The only item of jewellery I wear is my amethyst ring. I love walking into those NIK NAKY stores and seeing all those gems and crystals. If only my house looked like those stores. To die for.

"Amethyst stimulates intuition & spiritual awakening"

hedgecub
28-04-2004, 22:13
I don't have any particular fondness for amethyst, but I do have one piece of amethyst that is very special to me as it was taken from an amethyst mine in Finland. I like to hold it in my hand and feel that I'm holding a part of Finland herself :)

paradoxx
01-06-2004, 10:56
I'm going one step further and am going to break down certain types of amethyst.

lightened amethyst, this is ameythest that is faded in color, it calls to the heart more than the mind. it relaxes you in stressful times, but does little in regards to headaches or stomach aches, but can help relax the heart muscle. This may fall more into the rose quartz categories.

Points, strenghthens the psychic mind, allow for clairvoiance but may be vurnreble to psychic attacks and negative energy flow. Protection can be stimulated with rutilated amethyst and other protective stones, hematite or obsidian for example.

Chevron, this is ameythist that has been pressured into layers, susually of purple and white with grey. This is for "stepping up" the psychic ladder, for when there are a great number of details to be filtered through.

Bluemanticore
14-07-2005, 23:30
With a third of the current 21 responses to "What's your favourite crystal/gem/precious stone!!" http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=44604&page=3&pp=10 being Amethyst, I thought I'd bump this old thread. :)

PlatinumDove
15-07-2005, 09:02
I have a silver and amethyst ring that I always wear, that I use for protection for both me and my unborn daughter.

Emeraldgirl
15-07-2005, 10:34
Peace and calm and happiness. My grandmother and I both shared amethyst as a birthstone so I have lots of happy childhood memories of tyring on her amethyst jewellery with her. She has since passed away and I have inherited her amethyst jewellery. Everytime I see amethyst I think of her. Amethyst is a very soothing stone for me.

anonymous_artist
17-10-2006, 15:37
Amethyst is my most adored crystal. To me I think it brings a calm relaxed state and enhances awareness and psychic ability. I always wear a Amethyst bracelet and somehow I feel more grounded and connected to the world which I cannot see or quite explain.

I recently bought a cluster of Amesthyst (for an outragous amount) and I must say I have never seen online or anywhere else any other Amethyst which has the depth of colour that the cluster I purchased has. Quite amazing, it is almost black and the energy which resinates off this cluster is fernominal. Amethyst certainly is a very very powerful crystal.

amysquie
05-11-2006, 10:00
Amethyst is a strange stone for me. I feel drawn to it but at the same time somewhat dislike its appearance. Yet purple is one of my favourite colours! However I was born in February and so it is supposed to be my birthstone (but I'm a Piscean as well and have heard many different things about what my birthstone is supposed to be!).

When I was little I also read a book called The Ordinary Princess where there were lots of sister princesses all named after gemstones, and one was called Amethyst but the others thought she was too ordinary so called her Amy and ever since then I have linked the word amethyst and the stone to me and my name.

So I am still no closer in knowing how it relates to me!

Blessings,

Amy

geministar
18-12-2006, 13:42
I never used to like amethyst but recently I brought a tumbled stone and absolutely love it and then on the weekend I brought an amethyst bracelet.

To me, its calming. Sometimes I sleep with it under my pillow and I feel relaxed.

Sometimes, if Im feeling a bit sensitive to negativities I like to imagine a light around me the colour of amethyst and that protects me from negative energy.

Rin
23-03-2007, 07:24
As of right now, I see it mostly linked with getting over addictions, especially those dealing with alcohol.

It also connects to the god Dionysus.

Sorry, really short post. But I'm sick. Lol.

amysquie
30-03-2007, 02:18
As of right now, I see it mostly linked with getting over addictions, especially those dealing with alcohol.
That must be why it's the stone for Pisceans, who can tend to have addictive personalities!

HearthCricket
30-03-2007, 02:25
I love the colour purple and the look of amethyst. It is both regal and secretive, reminds me of the High Priestess, makes me think of warmth, mystery, dusk, moonlight, the darker but spiritual side of oneself, privacy, calming, grounding and full of intuition. I just love amethyst and find it one of the most beautiful of gemstones!

Rin
01-04-2007, 07:18
That must be why it's the stone for Pisceans, who can tend to have addictive personalities!

Maybe?

As far as I know, is that the reason it deals with recovering from alcoholic abuse, is dealing with Dionysus. I'm trying to find the exact myth I saw it on, but.. all I can remember is that Dionysus wrongly killed a woman (Amethyst) he was in love with. Then for some reason, he places a crystal quartz in a bowl of wine, asking for her forgiveness. The wine turned purple, and subsequently turned the crystal purple, signaling that she forgave him. And thats where amethyst comes from.

It probably sounds really silly when you don't read the whole thing. I'm trying to find it right now, lol.

EDIT: Hmm. Well the Wikipedia page shows myths about Amethystos, along with Amethyst. Very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethyst#Amethyst_in_folklore_and_astrology