PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Subscribers.

Le_Corsair
17-04-2004, 23:25
I don't think that there is any one quick method to identify subscribers here at Aeclectic. When someone's birthday comes up and I am not sure if they are a subscriber, I first have to look at their title to see if it is unique, and if I can't figure things out from that, I have to search the member's thread contributions to see if they have posted in chat or another subscribers-only forum. I find this annoying.

One of the things that bookcrossing.com (http://www.bookcrossing.com/home) does to identify its subscribers is to place a pair of angelic wings on either side of the subscriber's user ID. Is there any way to do something similar here at AT, such as have the subscriber's avatar winged? Or perhaps include a status box in the member's profile that includes a field subscriber yes/no? I'd really appreciate it, for one.

Thanks!

Bob :THERM

edited to correct a typo and incomplete sentence in paragraph 2.

wavebreaker
17-04-2004, 23:42
I'd like some sort of subscriber identification too. Aeclectic needs a lot of support, since its maintenance takes up a lot of time and money, so those who are supporting AT by subscribing deserve a bit of extra mention. ;)

musclegirl
17-04-2004, 23:52
Le Corsair, why is it important to know whether someone is or is not a subscriber?

Sulis
18-04-2004, 00:02
I voted for change is good. I think it would be a good idea to see if someone is a subscriber or not too.

Love and light

Sulis xx

Centaur
18-04-2004, 00:09
I voted not to change. Although, if there were to be a change then I wouldn't be all that bothered about it. I am a subscriber, and I can't think of any reason why anyone might want to find out about my subscriber status, or indeed the status of anyone else. But then, that's me! :)

firemaiden
18-04-2004, 00:13
I'd love to see a pair of little wings by subscriber names. Subscriber status is nice to know, mainly for wishing people happy birthday.

Moonbow
18-04-2004, 00:15
I think it seems more important to subscibers because of the chat forum and birthdays. I know I have felt very silly saying happy birthday to someone in chat only to find they weren't a subsciber so didn't even see the post :)

Your question is answered there musclegirl. Um, so I'm a yes to change.

M*

Centaur
18-04-2004, 00:19
Well, if this is set in place, then I would rather have horns than wings. ;)

Macavity
18-04-2004, 00:21
I know that when my subscription lapsed, I moved from being a "Mystery Cat" back to being just a plain old "Elder". <shrug> I guess one can thus make some inference about those with significant numbers of posts? Being human, I sometimes notice this... Perhaps if a posting particularly annoys me! :laugh:

I don't spend MUCH time worrying about such things, so I voted "no change". But I do think it not unreasonable to vaguely aknowledge those who are currently making a more material contribution to the forum... :D

Macavity

mercenary30
18-04-2004, 00:23
I like the idea just because it is an opportunity to add another small but noticable benefit to becomming a subscriber.

Newbee - That is cool, how come mine doesn't do that?

Subscriber - People who subscribe get that. Not to mention the opportunity to create your own title plus have access to the best forum out there, the CHAT forum!!!

Newbee - Where is link that talkes about subscriptions again?

(Yeah, ok that was lame.......)

Le_Corsair
18-04-2004, 00:28
Originally posted by musclegirl
Le Corsair, why is it important to know whether someone is or is not a subscriber?

I used the example of a birthday. There is no forum where birthday greetings can be given to a non-subscriber. In the subscriber forum Chat, we often throw outrageous cyber-birthday parties and other celebrations that the non-subscribers never get to see. (did I tickle your interest in subscribing? Good!) Non-subscribers have to make do with a bunch of PM's, instead.

I don't want non-subscribers to be viewed as second-class citizens, obviously. But a way to make things easier to distinguish would be good.

contrascarpe
18-04-2004, 00:45
Recently I emailed Solandia and was told this was one of the areas being looked into for changes. I like the idea of knowing who the subscribers are for many reasons, one being that it would be nice to know whether someone is a subscriber before ordering a gift subscription - an incentive for us to further support the boards.

Centaur
18-04-2004, 01:04
I think that some valid points have been raised, but I think that consideration should also be given to those who want their subscriber status to remain private.

Therefore, I think that each person should have a specific option on their User CP as to whether or not they want their subscriber status made public. Just as one has the option whether or not to appear on the 'who's online' list.

contrascarpe
18-04-2004, 01:09
Originally posted by Centaur
I think that some valid points have been raised, but I think that consideration should also be given to those who want their subscriber status to remain private.

Therefore, I think that each person should have a specific option on their User CP as to whether or not they want their subscriber status made public. Just as one has the option whether or not to appear on the 'who's online' list.

I guess I can't see why someone would want this private. The "who's online" thing I can understand (in fact, I had a situation a couple of months back with another member that justified that feature).

Centaur
18-04-2004, 01:14
Originally posted by contrascarpe96
I guess I can't see why someone would want this private.

I think that it would nice to at least give people the option.

firemaiden
18-04-2004, 01:19
Okay, that's fair, centaur, but what about people who would like their non-subscriber status to remain private? and how is that going to work? and if people can hide their subscriber status, then how will we ever know who is a non subscriber, and who is just hiding their status... the information would no longer be in any way reliable.

I think, in reality, in can't work unless it is all or nothing...

Le_Corsair
18-04-2004, 01:26
I think that it would nice to at least give people the option.

Centaur wants to hide in the closet! :D :joke: :laugh:

Centaur
18-04-2004, 01:33
Interesting questions...

'Okay, that's fair, centaur, but what about people who would like their non-subscriber status to remain private?'

Your question doesn't make any sense, because I am stating that the option to remain anonymous in terms of subscription status should be made available only to paying members. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough.

'And if people can hide their subscriber status, then how will we ever know who is a non subscriber, and who is just hiding their status.'

On this thread, the various reasons for making subscriber status available to general forum members, are listed as 'birthday threads', and also gift certificates. This is cool enough... after all those who want their subscriber status to be known would not have checked the option to hide subscriber status, therefore birthday messages could be issued to those who wish to identify themselves as subscribers.

I know of numerous forums which grant the individual the right to privacy in this respect.

As I stated in my first post on this thread, it makes no difference to me whether or not subscriber status is made public. I am merely making suggestions. This is the suggestions forum, isn't it?

;)

Centaur
18-04-2004, 01:34
Originally posted by Le_Corsair
Centaur wants to hide in the closet! :D :joke: :laugh:

LOL. I have spent quite enough time in the closet thank you.

Hahaha. :)

Red Emma
18-04-2004, 06:39
Okay, I'm cranky today, so take my attitude -- and it's a big one -- with a grain.

I don't understand why anyone cares who is, is not a member. Just accept their ideas and their wisdom as they're posted and be grateful that we have such a wide variety of members with varying backgrounds and from far-flung places on the globe. It adds to the spice and the value of our associations.

People have all sorts of reasons for belonging or not.

By indentifying subscribers/non-subscribers would we be creating a class system? I suspect that before long there would be the "ins and the outs?" Then college kids who can't afford the extra $25 per annum --- It's a bad idea, guys. A very bad idea.

Okay, I said I was cranky. Really cranky. Better go eat some lunch.

But, Geez, guys. Leave well enough alone. ATF is great just the way it is. You know the idiom, "If it ain't broke ......."

Best wishes anyhow.

Goddess Bless,

Red Emma

Diana
18-04-2004, 06:55
I have thought about the solution while I was doing my laundry.

And the solution is: Everyone who is a regular member should subscribe to Aeclectic because we all love this place. Then we can throw parties for everyone without worrying about whether they see their birthday thread or not.

This place costs more money than most people would want to imagine to upkeep. Everything costs - the upgrades, the bandwidth, the domain name and tons of other stuff. Not to mention the LONG hours (and I'm not just talking of four of five hours a day - I'm talking MUCH MUCH more than that!) that Solandia has to take to not only upkeep the forum but the web-site. She is the Aeclectic Goddess but even Goddesses need to eat.

Those who say they can't afford it... well, that puzzles me sometimes because they are often (not always! but very very often) the people who post about all the great Tarot and Oracle decks they have just bought.

But some people think that good things come for free. As my friend Macavity would say: "Shrug."

Anyway, that's my two centimes.

Roll up!! Subscriptions over there. The next party is being organised and you non-subscribers have never seen.... well, I can't tell you what you've never seen because you have to subscribe to see it. Hey, it might even be YOUR party!

wavebreaker
18-04-2004, 07:29
The subscriber system isn't a class system, it's what keeps Aeclectic going. If it wasn't for the subscriptions, there wouldn't be any Aeclectic. It's that simple.

I personally don't care who exactly is a subscriber or not, but I do think it's good to advertise subscriptions, in any way possible. If using a label "Subscriber" will help, because people like that label, I'm all for it.

Yes, AT is great the way it is. But it definitely needs more support to remain this way.

Nevada
18-04-2004, 07:49
I'm one of those who doesn't care whether someone is a subscriber or not. I subscribed in order to access the Spirituality forum and Archives. Now that is not to say that I don't LOVE the Chat forum, and all my dear fellow subscribers, but I'm wondering why we need to distinguish? Often it's simply an economic decision whether to subscribe or not.

(Edited to add: I'm sure most non-subscribers would love to help support Aeclectic, if they stay for long, but may just not be budgeted for that--yet. It took me months to decide and for the time and checking account to agree with my decision all at once. Sort of like waiting for the right planetary influences. :D )

Can't we wish Happy Birthday to non-subscribers? (Oh, I guess the concern is whether you should start a party thread?)

Now I'm voting ... see if you can guess what I've voted. :D

Nevada

Umbrae
18-04-2004, 08:44
Damn good idea. 'Bout time.

MuffinTops
18-04-2004, 08:48
Interesting that the people posting in this thread are subscribers...

...not me...

Moongold
18-04-2004, 09:17
We don't subscribe to have birthday parties, do we? :D

I actually don't like the birthday parties very much, and don't put my birthday in the profile for that reason (OK.................personal choice :) ) I'd sooner someone say .. Hey, that was a good post....what great ideas..... than happy birthday.

Why should it matter to anyone else whether someone is a subscriber or not? You can find out if you really want to but I can't see why you would really want to know.

And I am NOT grumpy, Red Emma :D :D.

Osher
18-04-2004, 10:25
There is a simple solution: on the title field we simply agree on a symbol before the name, say a smiley face, that indicates a sub. I agree with Centaur that for some reason (and I'm sure there are some) people do not wish it to be know that they do pay. In this case, they just don't use the symbol.

Well, it's an idea that would be quick and easy to implement, no?

TemperanceAngel
18-04-2004, 10:44
I think it's a great idea :D :D :D

And to add, I think if you are on AT alot, then it's really worth being a subscriber for many reasons:

1. You get to support the place you love!!!!!

2. You get extra Forums to Chat in, and I love those extra Forums where you get to chat about stuff that you can't do in the Tarot Forums.

3. The Chat Forum really gives you a sense of community :)

The list is endless....and I would love a pair of angel wings next to my name ;)

XTAX

P.S. I think Happiness made a great suggestion!

lunakasha
18-04-2004, 10:51
I agree with Happiness....I personally do not care whether people know I am a subscriber or not, but if people want to maintain their privacy they should be allowed to do so.

Another suggestion I have would be to include this information in our profile only, rather than making it more "obvious", such as including a symbol next to our names/titles.....

Someone here has already pointed out that making it too obvious might create a "class" system....by including it in our profiles, people who really want to know would be able to access the information there. We could also have the option of keeping our subscriber status unknown, for those who prefer....

Having said that, I think it is already fairly obvious who the subscribers are, as most (but not all) of us have changed our titles.

:) Luna

lunakasha
18-04-2004, 10:53
LOL. I have spent quite enough time in the closet thank you.

Hahaha. :)

Hehehehe!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:D Luna

Moongold
18-04-2004, 12:30
I think being a subscriber is great too, and I will do anything I can to support Aeclectic.

But I am not sure that having a smiling face, pair of horns or angel wings next to my avatar will necessarily do that.

What you seem to be saying, some of you, is that identification of subscribers would be good because:

1. It encourages others to subscribe - Nobody has actually said this but it is the most powerful argument so far

2. It enable some people to hold birthday parties in the Chat Room. Spare me that please :D

3. Having the Subscriber Badge is somehow a reward for subscribing What about the personalised avatar and the quiet satisfaction of supporting something you care about?.

Why not have subscriber status in the member profile as someone else said?

As I type, I wonder why I'm spending so much time on this? I really don't have strong feelings about it. I think I'm avoiding my other work :D

tabbycat
18-04-2004, 19:13
lunakasha said
Someone here has already pointed out that making it too obvious might create a "class" system....

But there is a "class" system here on AT, albeit a subtle one. The different avatars at different levels of posting, culminating in the personalised avatars at 500, the no readings before reaching 25 posts and the cascades of congratulations when people reach a significant number of posts all reinforce a pecking order based on numbers of posts. I don't post much - it's a personality thing, I guess, as I only put fingers to keys when I have something to say. I'll probably never get to 500 or 1000 posts in ten years, and maybe not even to 200, and yes, I do feel like a second-class citizen because I'm just not chatty enough.
Just my two pen'orth!

Jilly

firemaiden
18-04-2004, 19:26
"Class system" is a very negative way of viewing numbers which merely reflect differing levels of participation.

Moongold
18-04-2004, 19:38
Greeetings Jilly,

I think the "rewards" of one's own avatar at reaching 500, for example are based on participation. The Forum is as vital and interesting as people make it and at the moment that seems to be through participation. I can't think of any other way that could be done actually. Maybe there is another way that I don't know about.

Most people who reach the level of Elder or Sage do usually have quite a lot to offer. Of course there are quite a few who come to Aeclectic already rich in knowledge and they may never get over a few hundred posts because they post judiciously and are not quite as caught up in Forum life as some of us.

The benchmark does seem to be participation, not necessarily quality or expertise, and as long as that is understood then I can see nothing wrong with it.

For some reason, though, I feel uncomfortable with the "Subscriber" status being openly acknowledged by the means suggested in this thread. I don't mind it being in the profile, however.

It is necessary to have subscribers to keep the forums going, however, and an acceptable way of increasing the numbers of subscribers would be welcome.

Moongold

wavebreaker
18-04-2004, 19:48
"Class systems" will always be perceived by those who are focused on them, whether they are actually present or not. The only way to avoid that is to make everyone "equal" and remove all post counts, titles, avatars and registration dates, and anything else that can be interpreted as hierarchy...

Let's keep everything in perspective: avatars and titles and such are just a bit of fun. They don't say anything at all about someone's "value" or "position" on this forum. Instead, let's focus on what people have to say: read their posts, really read them, and ignore that left column (except for the name of course, people like being called by their correct name ;) ).

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 00:59
Originally posted by tabbycat
lunakasha said

But there is a "class" system here on AT, albeit a subtle one. The different avatars at different levels of posting, culminating in the personalised avatars at 500, the no readings before reaching 25 posts and the cascades of congratulations when people reach a significant number of posts all reinforce a pecking order based on numbers of posts. I don't post much - it's a personality thing, I guess, as I only put fingers to keys when I have something to say. I'll probably never get to 500 or 1000 posts in ten years, and maybe not even to 200, and yes, I do feel like a second-class citizen because I'm just not chatty enough.
Just my two pen'orth!

Jilly

You make a very good point, tabbycat....everyone participates in their own way, and I used to be one of the "less chatty" people here, spending a lot of time reading threads without posting very often. I think it is up to the individual how much he/she chooses to participate. It may be an "unspoken" class system....but it is there. Which is why, IMO, drawing more attention to those with "subscriber status" may not be the best way to go.....

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 01:14
Originally posted by wavebreaker
really[/i] read them, and ignore that left column (except for the name of course, people like being called by their correct name ;) ).

I agree....and would like to clarify my last post, if at all possible. ;)

I think that being a subscriber and supporting this forum is GREAT, and that the money generated through subscriptions is one of the ways to support Solandia's efforts in keeping Aeclectic alive. I also feel that, for me, reaching 500 posts and choosing a custom avatar was a BIG DEAL. It was exciting and FUN....not because I felt that I was better than or smarter than anyone with fewer posts...but because it represented a milestone for me, having been a member here for...two years...and FINALLY finding my voice! :D

Being able to exchange ideas, opinions, friendship and support with my fellow members...is a privilege....a gift. I love the people here, and I could care less whether someone has 50 posts or 5000 posts next to their name....we all have something valuable and unique to contribute here.

So....to clarify my point (and again, only MHO)...I do not think we should change what is already in place, regarding custom avatars, user titles, etc.....BUT I would prefer to have the subscriber status indicated in the user profile rather than next to my name.

Thanks for listening to my loooooong ramblings....:P

Le_Corsair
19-04-2004, 01:23
Let me remind everyone of my original intent in starting this thread: I find it necessary occasionally to try to determine whether an Aeclectic member is a subscriber or not, and there is no mechanism for easily identifying members that are subscribers, so I have to work at it, and in the end, am not sure whether I am correct or not. It's a minor issue, but I know other people have mentioned their own frustration at not knowing, also. I don't care how it is done, whether openly on the member's avatar or privately on the member's profile, but I'd like to be able to determine this status quickly and without expense in time and effort. I think that is reasonable.

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 01:37
I understand what you are saying, Bob.

Maybe we could try another poll and ask people whether they would prefer to have their status indicated on their avatar or included in their profile???

Just a thought....what do people think?

Majecot
19-04-2004, 01:59
Originally posted by lunakasha
Ic.....BUT I would prefer to have the subscriber status indicated in the user profile rather than next to my name.

Sometimes change is .....good!

I think that is an excellant idea. There have been a couple of times when I have felt silly over asking someone to post a picture, only to be told they cannot because they do not subscribe. Or like wishing someone happy birthday that won't see it. Or even like wanting to give a gift but that person already subscribes...
And then there is just the plain basic natural curoisty of people that just plain want to know. :D:D:D Some of us are just nosey.

Something listed in the profile would be nice.. I don't necessarily think we need to have red flags waving next to our avatars or anything like that.

MuffinTops
19-04-2004, 05:02
OK, I am not a subscriber, that being said, it seems the subscribers think this is important, but it is unimportant to me. Probably I am unimportant to you, but can't you just tell who is a subscriber by the name underneath...like...Scalawag or Mystic Crone, Dreamer by Day for example?

Diana
19-04-2004, 05:08
Originally posted by MuffinTops
Probably I am unimportant to you, but can't you just tell who is a subscriber by the name underneath...like...Scalawag or Mystic Crone, Dreamer by Day for example?

MuffinTops!!!! You are very important for me! I am so happy you joined the forums. I don't care if you're a subscriber or not. You are MuffinTops and that is enough. :)

Yes, one can tell if someone is a subscriber by their title. Some subscribers have not changed their title though.

MuffinTops
19-04-2004, 05:12
Diana,
You are so sweet. Thanks for telling me that info! I thought most ppl changed their titles, I was unaware that some didn't. And thanks for telling me I am important. ;) The feeling is mutual.

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 05:13
OK, I am not a subscriber, that being said, it seems the subscribers think this is important, but it is unimportant to me. Probably I am unimportant to you, but can't you just tell who is a subscriber by the name underneath...like...Scalawag or Mystic Crone, Dreamer by Day for example?

Of course your opinion is important, MuffinTops!

I think that what LeCorsair is talking about is that there is no "definite" way of knowing a person's subscriber status at this time. You are right--MOST subscribers have changed their user titles...but not everyone has....right Centaur??? :P Hehehe!

Diana
19-04-2004, 05:14
Of course your opinion is important, MuffinTops!
You are right--MOST subscribers have changed their user titles...but not everyone has....right Centaur??? :P Hehehe!

Ssshhh!!! Centaur doesn't want people to know he is a subscriber. Everyone just pretend we don't know. :laugh:

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 05:18
Originally posted by Diana
Ssshhh!!! Centaur doesn't want people to know he is a subscriber. Everyone just pretend we don't know. :laugh:

LMAO........OOPSIE!!!!:eek:

Sorry, C...you've been exposed!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nevada
19-04-2004, 05:20
I'm still curious as to what reasons would prompt you to look for this information about someone, other than to start a birthday thread. Perhaps that's the core issue here.

Why do you need to know?

Nevada

wavebreaker
19-04-2004, 05:23
I also feel that, for me, reaching 500 posts and choosing a custom avatar was a BIG DEAL. It was exciting and FUN....not because I felt that I was better than or smarter than anyone with fewer posts...but because it represented a milestone for me, having been a member here for...two years...and FINALLY finding my voice! :DLunakasha, there's nothing wrong AT ALL with enjoying things like post counts and avatars, please keep enjoying them! I just don't think they should be seen as a reflection of someone's value in contributing to the forum. Everyone who takes the trouble to post here and share their opinion, whether it's a popular opinion or not, is equally important to the forum. And so are people who don't post but are just lurking and reading all the information shared by everyone here.

Rusty Neon
19-04-2004, 05:23
Originally posted by Nevada
Why do you need to know?

I'd like to know, at least in my case. It seems I got "subscribed" (as of this morning) but don't know how it happened and no request had been made.

Diana
19-04-2004, 05:30
Rusty Neon: Perhaps someone gave you a gift subscription. Have you checked your e-mails? Solandia would have informed you in an e-mail that if you received one.

If you don't want to accept it for some reason, you can always pass it on. (Although it's about time you joined us on the other side... it always seems odd not to have you over there.)

Le_Corsair
19-04-2004, 05:32

Certainly, for the people that choose custom titles. Not everyone does, which was my point in the original post. I simply wish to be able to determine that status with minimal effort.

Don't insult yourself or your fellow members by presuming that no one here thinks you unimportant. The longer that you stay, and the more people come to know of you, the more affection everyone will have for you, if you are worthy of it. Naturally if you stay long enough to be thought of as a beloved member of the community, the more likely you are to want to avail yourself of the subscriber benefits. The choice is up to you, however. Some people were subscribers and are no longer, and no one condemns them for it.

Moongold
19-04-2004, 05:33
Wow Rusty ~

It looks as though someone made a gift subscription to you!

It's a real affirmation, and really nice to hear.

MG

Rusty Neon
19-04-2004, 05:33
Diana ... I didn't receive any PMs from anyone about it. Maybe they're giving free trials, or maybe it's a mistake. I don't even know the expiry date.

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 05:35
Originally posted by wavebreaker
Lunakasha, there's nothing wrong AT ALL with enjoying things like post counts and avatars, please keep enjoying them! I just don't think they should be seen as a reflection of someone's value in contributing to the forum. Everyone who takes the trouble to post here and share their opinion, whether it's a popular opinion or not, is equally important to the forum. And so are people who don't post but are just lurking and reading all the information shared by everyone here.

Yes, wavebreaker....I believe we are in agreement on this issue, if you read carefully through my posts.

Quoting myself:

Being able to exchange ideas, opinions, friendship and support with my fellow members...is a privilege....a gift. I love the people here, and I could care less whether someone has 50 posts or 5000 posts next to their name....we all have something valuable and unique to contribute here.

So....to clarify my point (and again, only MHO)...I do not think we should change what is already in place, regarding custom avatars, user titles, etc.....BUT I would prefer to have the subscriber status indicated in the user profile rather than next to my name.

I also mentioned in another post that I believe everyone should participate at their own level, and that I used to be one of the quieter people here....until I became more comfortable. I got a tremendous amount of knowledge and enjoyment out of Aeclectic, long before I even started posting!

I hope this clarifies my position....I am really a "live and let live" kinda gal! :D

Diana
19-04-2004, 05:44
Originally posted by Rusty Neon
Diana ... I didn't receive any PMs from anyone about it. Maybe they're giving free trials, or maybe it's a mistake. I don't even know the expiry date.

I don't think it's a mistake. Solandia must have received money for it. I suggest you e-mail her and ask her....

She wouldn't have sent you a PM, but an e-mail. Do you ever check the e-mail address that you gave when you joined Aeclectic?

Ruby7
19-04-2004, 05:44
Originally posted by Rusty Neon

Most times this is done anonymously, and so you can't personally thank anyone. It happened to me when my subscription ran out and I was very low on money at the time. You have been here for a while, and I'm sure everyone will be happy to have your presence in Chat and other subscriber areas. Check out the competition to win the Carnivale Tarot.

Ruby7

Centaur
19-04-2004, 06:22
MOST subscribers have changed their user titles...but not everyone has....right Centaur??? :P Hehehe!

I am just thinking of a suitable title. ;)

Perhaps I should start a thread entitled, 'Coming Out of the Subscriber Closet'?

LOL.

Macavity
19-04-2004, 06:39
Bit like "Great Expectations" - You find out your secret benefactor is a convict? :laugh:

Thinking back though, the childish notion of moving into the "big house" with a Miss Havisham had certain appeal to this (once) very young boy. The Estella "crush" had nothing to do with it, naturally... })

Macavity

tabbycat
19-04-2004, 08:44
Macavity said -
the childish notion of moving into the "big house" with a Miss Havisham had certain appeal to this (once) very young boy
You obviously haven't read the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde (The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots) or you'd want to steer clear of Miss Havisham... and especially NEVER get into a car when she's driving it!

Jilly

Solandia
19-04-2004, 13:02
Getting back to Le_Corsair's original question: yes, a quick way to differentiate subscribers will soon be available, I've been working on it this week. (A small graphic next to the subscriber's membername will appear; there will be a page listing all of the subscribers; and people will have the option not to be listed.)

Rusty Neon: An email with details of your subscription was sent to the email address in your profile. Please let me know (email@tarotforum.net) if you did not receive it.

~ Solandia

Black*Cat
19-04-2004, 14:20
Interesting thread - I have decided to subscribe. In the short time that I have been here I have received so much from AT & the wonderful people here. It's time I put my money where my heart is.

Thanks to you all,

Black*Cat

Le_Corsair
19-04-2004, 17:07
Originally posted by Solandia
Getting back to Le_Corsair's original question: yes, a quick way to differentiate subscribers will soon be available, I've been working on it this week. (A small graphic next to the subscriber's membername will appear; there will be a page listing all of the subscribers; and people will have the option not to be listed.)

~ Solandia

Outstanding! Even Centaur should like this! Thank you, Solandia!

cheekyminx
03-05-2004, 16:37
It took me over a year to subscribe. Mind you I did go walkabout for about 11 months. lol But I'm back now.

Non-subscriber or subscriber makes no difference really. We are all human and no one is better than anyone else. Just because someone wishes not to subscribe it doesn't make them any different from me.

The main thing is we have a great group of people on here, and we all contribute in many different ways to make this site wonderful.

PS I'm in the process of becoming a subscriber. Just waiting for Solandia.......

Shalott
09-05-2004, 20:31
Hi,
I'm not yet a subscriber, it's on my To Do list...I'm one of those ppl Diana talked about who's been spending all my money on decks! (blush)...But I joined this forum run by EZ board, nearly a year ago now, and dropped off largely because there was such a large member turn over and we were just rehashing the same thing repeatedly to infinity and I got board, er bored, anyway, I paid for an EZ board subscription, and there was a little icon (optional) next to member names but it didn't seem like anybody looked at those ppl having any more expertise or anything than non-subscribers, it was just a way of financially supporting the boards and that's all anybody thought. I think a hierarchy is more likely to develop out of number of posts, which is an equally faulty system...

Anyhoo, soon I shall subscribe...I mean it...anybody want a peanut? ;)

tao51
01-07-2004, 11:45
I think it is a great idea. It may encourage others to subscribe.--Tao