Pounamu aka Greenstone aka Jade? More info pls

CreativeFire

As I am not very knowledgable when it comes to stones and crystals (still learning) and I was hoping those of you who have had experience with Jade could let me know what it's qualities are?

To explain, my husband's family has just sent over to him a beautiful and powerful pounamu (greenstone) pendant - and which I understand is a type of jade.

I know and understand what pounamu or greenstone pendants mean from the Maori cultural perspective but am curious about the properties of the stone itself.

I have attached a pic so you can see this piece - it is about 4" long, very heavy, very dark green (almost black) with lighter highlights in it and has been carved especially for him. The old man who carved this unique piece told the family that this is the most powerful piece he has ever done and I can certainly understand this - as you cannot take your eyes off it when it is worn - you keep drawing back to it. It came with the following info:

The Kahurangi: a greenstone found in the Arahura River, in the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand; it means "Cloak of the Sky".

"Rangi" in Maori mythology is the Sky Father and the pendant also is a symbol of Faith, Hope, Love, Life Time and Protection.

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on this stone.

CreativeFire

** edited to fix up my typos **

Attachments

• pounamu.jpg
    pounamu.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 262

Le_Corsair

Here is a great page dealing with tikis specifically, but some good information on Maori jade, as well. It's a variety of nephrite jade found in New Zealand.

I have a tiki pendant that I wear all of the time; I've had a fondness for tikis since the tiki surfer craze in the mid '60's, when I lived in Florida and visited Daytona Beach regularly.

Bob :THERM

miss_apples

I have a piece of jade that looks just like that and I was wondering why it is so dark...almost black...now I know why.

Jade in general is supposed to help you to boost self-confidence.

CreativeFire

Le_Corsair said:
Here is a great page dealing with tikis specifically, but some good information on Maori jade, as well. It's a variety of nephrite jade found in New Zealand.

I have a tiki pendant that I wear all of the time; I've had a fondness for tikis since the tiki surfer craze in the mid '60's, when I lived in Florida and visited Daytona Beach regularly.

Bob :THERM

Thanks, Le_Corsair - an excellent link! I also found on the "Maori Names" link from this page the following:

Kahurangi (Garment of Heaven), bright green with light streaks resembling rolling clouds.

This gives more meaning now to the dark stone and its lighter streaks - clouds of course! :D

My son has a carved bone heitiki that he wears with puau shell eyes.

There is a some really interesting legend behind the "heitiki" - traditionally they represent fertility, birth and life. Heitiki also represented ancient whakapapa (genealogies), and were therefore highly prized as gifts of honour and respect. Heitiki continue to presented as gifts to respected elders, visitors or dignataries. They are believed to embody "mana", or the spirit of the tribe."

Cheers
CreativeFire

CreativeFire

miss_apples said:
Jade in general is supposed to help you to boost self-confidence.

Interesting, this connects, Miss_Apples, with part of the reason why greenstone pendants are worn - spirit of the tribe and giving the wearer the self confidence and continuation of that spirit I guess.

CreativeFire

amyel

Creative Fire, that necklace is lovely!

My fav ref book is "Healing Crystals & Gemstones" by Peschek-Bohmer & Schreiber.

It has this to say about nephrite, which is what your husband's stone is:

Healing properties: helps constant bladder infections. It's psychological effects are that it makes the wearer more creative & calmer & relaxed. It protects against aggression and helps the weraer maintain their own identity if difficult situations. Placed under the pillow at night, it protects against nightmares. It brings hope, personal happiness, professional success & recognition.

On a magical level, it protects against false friends and makes the wearer immune to love spells; it works on the heart & throat chakras, and has a positive influence on Cancers.

When it becomes cloudy, you first discharge it under warm running water and then recharge it be placing it inweak sunlight for a few hours.

Edited to add: Upon reading the full "Tiki" webpage that Le_Corsair posted, I just want to add that nephrite is found in New Zealand, Australia, Canada, China & the US. So you can find it outside of NZ, although I suspect that it is often sold as "jade" which is a different stone. This is in reference to the last sentence that its export is banned....

CreativeFire

Amyel, thanks for the posting the great info on this stone - it is good to know the other properties of stone, especially if it is something he will be wearing regularly.

CreativeFire

amyel

More Tiki's!

I was doing some research for my brother about something quite unrelated to all this when I stumbled across the website for one of my favorite Vancouver, BC native art galleries, which - it turns out - has a fabulous collection of tiki's....

check out www.spiritwrestler.com and then click on the image of the beautiful jade Maori necklace. All quite out of my price range, but lovely to view!

CreativeFire

There are some lovely pieces displayed on that site, Amyel. I have never seen ones quite like the 3 shades of green together like that - very originaly and unique - thanks for sharing the link.

CreativeFire